The Lady of the Sea — October 2020 Challenge Winner

Currently reading:
The Lady of the Sea — October 2020 Challenge Winner

Voluptia Reign

But first.... coffee.
Local time
Today 4:03 PM
Waves, ripples and mist...
It is said that within times of great emotion and tragedy, a person can be tied to a specific place. One in particular has found our current character.. A woman stands atop a dusk swept cliff alone, her pale tear streaked face buried within the depths of her hands that shield away from both sight and breeze as the winds crest across the waves below, crashing into the jagged rocks below its frothy surface. She had no children, no other family. Within her sorrow she does not see the beauty in the eye of the hurricane, she stands there sobbing in between the breaks of rain and warm heated gales that grace her cheeks and lift the raven black tresses of her waist length hair, sweeping it up into the air before her like gentle wisps on the breeze and laden with it the sweet scent of winter roses. It is there she's waited, every day for years. Gazing out upon the same sunrise with hope dancing in her eyes and at sunset she'll weep for the knowledge of what will never be. A love.. long lost at sea.
It is here you will find this strange woman, clad in a near sheer white night gown with a soft white silken slip adorning her curves, falling to near ankle yet giving just enough of a glimpse for one to establish she bore no shoes or stockings and despite the impending storm no doubt causing shivers to rake through her slender body she is entirely barefoot. She stood there strong and headfast, waiting. For you see, she had never loved another like she had loved her dear Captain. Saved upon the edge of a tight rope, he found her in the cusp of her darkness and like a light house guided her way back home where she had sat with him late into the night ever since. It was within the safety of his arms that she found her refuge then, listening to the tales spun by fire light and when the day came that the sea called to him once more, she wept knowing that the waves would call to him just as she had and it would be answered with a low pang to the mans heart. He did not want to leave his love, but he could not turn his back upon the open water and his love of the salted spray upon his face when the waves crashed against his boats wooden hull. Danced upon the edge of duty and devotion..
That day she smiled with tears in her eyes, watching her sweet gull sore. She knew deep down the sea was his passion and he would not be content until he walked its ocean floor. So she followed him out the door that morning and stood upon the cliffs, watching him descend into his bliss and painfully listening to her heart break. He boarded his dinghy and rowed out to sea, boarding the vast wooden vessel that had been his first love for years. Weathered, worn and age barren wood would creak and moan, a wave ridden queen awaiting her kings arrival once more. She didn't want to let her Captain go, for he would not be there to help her weather the storm and so often times she'd spent the nights tangled with worry and yet... and yet seeing his eyes light up like the very tower that saved her from the fog when he spoke of hoisting the sails and weighing anchor. To feel the breeze beneath the tarp and his hair, the rough fray of rope to burn away a man's hard worked hands. Those very calloused hands she so longed to feel, gracing her cheeks with a brush of his thumbs and telling her to watch upon the horizon for his sails as they broke over the surface. So many times she waited, her heart jumping for joy when she finally saw those ivory sheets flapping in the breeze. She would wave to him then, and wave... listening for the man's jolly bellow as his love had welcomed him home.
But today the storm raged high. The rains had tossed the seas and turned Poseidon's rage beneath its very surface. Thunder and lightening raging war in the distance as the gods fought for their reclamation and mother earth tried to soothe its anger. It was in the eye of the storm that I found her.. weeping, and for the life of me I know not why. All I know is that I want to hold her, to embrace her trembling form and to lay her weary head upon my shoulder. To sift my fingers through the pitch black tresses of her hair and breath in the sweet smell of winter. Despite her sorrow, she is beauty and to see her pain causes me such anguish. As I approach her, she turns to me... lowering her hands from her goddess like face so that I may glimpse upon her vulnerability. My heart skips a beat and my blood runs cold for the very look within her blood shot blue eyes. Her cheeks are stained and dirty, her lips are cracked and dry, and although she stands there crying all I can think of is to ask, Why..

Before I can get too close, she smiles at me then. Its strange, to see the light within the darkness. But her smile leaves me feeling hopeful. Maybe just maybe she can stop crying and she will let me hold her. I find myself extending a hand out to reach her, to let her know she can come to me if she wishes.. and that's when I see the look of heart break flicker within her sea blue eyes, her voice is like a melody to my ears and to this day I will never shake it. She looked at me then, not at me but through my very soul and said, "You're not him..." and that was the last thing she ever said to me. Before those bare feet took two steps back and let herself fall to the jagged rocks below. All I can remember is the look in her eyes.. the smile on her face and the silence that hung in the air where her scream should have been. My heart sank for her, waiting for the sickening sound for her to hit the rocks below and as the waves crashed into the rocky cliffs I knew she would not survive the fall. I don't know what I expected to find when I dropped onto my hands and knees within that soaked grassy earth, in my mind I knew but my heart feared the worst
I let myself peer downward, expecting to see the lifeless form of the woman I never got to know. With her raven black hair strewn out beneath her, bobbing on a wave. Her smile adorning the subtle curve of her pale pink lips and the stains of her sorrow decorating her cheeks. The sheer night gown clinging to her slender form, rising and falling with each crashing wave as sea foam framed her head like a beautiful bubble filled crown. What I saw was emptiness. She was gone. No body, no blood, only the lasting echo of her voice in my mind and her smile to haunt me. I could have saved her if I tried. I should have tried. I could have said something, anything. Screamed at her that her life was worth far more then she was willing to give herself credit for. So I needed to do her justice. I needed to find her. To lay her to rest.

The next morning I researched the area... and too my horror I found her. There... smack dab on the screen of my computer right in front of me was the image of the woman I had seen. Standing beside a picture of a rough looking man with a beard and light in his eyes. I'll never forget her smile when she looked at him, or the way he looked out forlorn at the sea. She died two hundred years ago from a broken heart. For her Captain never returned home, reports had said that the weather in that area around that time was treacherous enough that the very gods reclaimed ships whole, sinking them to the bottom of the ocean floor where their Captain's remained on their ever present coarse.. she had fallen to her depths when her love returned to the sea, his heart was never fully for her, not after his feet had touched land and his heart longed for open skies and crashing waves. It was cruel of her to think she could have ever clipped his wings to keep her love from soring, and so she sought to join him on that endless walk upon the ocean floor.. forever trapped and tied to that place. So I did the only thing I could do... I printed off a copy of her Captain's final tale, letting my eyes skim across the computer generated words of an article that I hoped would give her the closure she needed.

That night... I waited.. and I waited, hoping to see her again. The sun had long set and just when I thought she wouldn't return, I smelt it. The smell of winter roses. My heart skipped a beat. It was her. She finally returned! I found myself smiling well before I even turned around, clutched within my sweat dampened hands was the final act of peace that I could grant her. But to my surprise, she was not alone. Standing before me was the figure of the man from the very clipping I had found. You see... The Lady had finally found her Captain, a love so strong that even in death it did not keep them apart. Although I longed to hold her, I could not help but feel elated for her reunion and so I placed the sheet of paper at her bare ghostly feet and bid her farewell. I don't think I'll ever see her again, but... I'm hopeful. Maybe she moved on, maybe her and her Captain are looking out watching the sunset together. Wherever she is, I hope she's happy, but for the life of me... I can't help wonder. What if.
The End.

Back
Top Bottom