Challenge Submission The Last One

Currently reading:
Challenge Submission The Last One

Vasara Glyndark

Monarch
Local time
Today 9:25 PM
I went camping in the wilderness to be alone. To get away from the town dwellers who made my life miserable. The inconsiderate ass who cut me off with only inches to spare. The boss who spent more time with the bimbo of the week or day than to do her job but reaped all the rewards. The prick who mumbled sang throughout my lunch break.

That's where I was when the world fell and the dead took over. When I finally decided to leave and return to town I discovered it overrun by the dead. I began picking killing them off from the safety of a rooftop. One by one, I sent a bullet or arrow into their skulls to free their souls so they could be liberated by the light or consumed by the darkness. First was the rambling dead that was once the old lady who was kinder to me than my grandmother. Then it was the thing that used to be my best friend. Then it was random people. With the last of the dead silenced I was truly and permanently alone forever. I finally got what I wanted a life with no one to make it miserable. With time on my hands, and nothing to do I buried the dead. In doing so I noticed a lot of the dead had no bite marks, no visible sign of trauma. I concluded that everyone was infected with some disease or virus that reanimated them. With the last of the dead buried I dug one final grave that would never be filled in, it would be occupied but always open. I lived for a while. I developed a daily routine it was a dull existence. I was going through the motions. I was dead inside. I realized I was no better than the dead that I freed. With that realization and knowing I could not do for myself what I did for the others I laid down in my grave, a grave intentionally designed to be inescapable for a roaming corpse. I then drank poison.

Back
Top Bottom