Challenge Submission The Price of Magic

Currently reading:
Challenge Submission The Price of Magic

dteagle12

The Grand Poobah de Doink of All of This and That
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 6:50 AM
It had been a week since a young Zane had first discovered his ability to use magic. He was so excited to be able to unlock such a power wanting to be able to help people like his father had for hundreds of years. The young elf now in his tenth year was a prodigy to have even used magic once. His father had always told him that magic wasn't something most started to learn or even know they had until they were at least twenty years of age. But when he had run home that night with a grin from ear to ear and his good news his father scowled before he started cursing under his breath.

He was sat down that night by his father and given a lecture for hours to make sure he understood on fact clearly. Every day he still hears his fathers voice when he thinks those words and the fear they instilled. "NEVER USE YOUR MAGIC." Those words filled his head that night and made him cry as he realized his father wouldn't let him be who he wanted to be. Why though? Why couldn't he grow up to be an adventurer like his father who was loved by many?

The day was cloudy, the wind whipped and whirled around ready to take anything too light to the heavens above to the gods. Animals all around were quiet as if sensing a storm brewing or even something about to go wrong. No one worked the fields this day since it was a bad omen to work on a day when animals sensed something. Instead it was spent praying to the gods, giving offerings and spending time with family. But Zane was still itching to try to learn his magic behind his father's back and become strong like him to live the life he had heard in the stories of hero's.

Zane had found a quiet spot by the river to sneak off to that day. His father was to return that night around dinner time and his mother was busy making blankets to sell at market. He had hours of free time so now he could practice in secret to his hearts content. With out a care in the world he smiled and spoke in the ancient language of the elves. "Uskeche." It was the word for the simple spell fireball and one most young children knew. His eyes flashed a burnt orange color before flames erupted from his hands forming into a small ball and shot forth at an incredible speed. Crashing into the water it caused a white smoke from the evaporation.

It went on like that for a few hours as he tried word after word while focusing on the few magical words he knew. All but one got a response but he wasnt surprised by the one that didn't work. It was a higher tier of magic and one his father himself had created and thus would take a while to understand. But for his first day practicing he wasnt doing half bad he thought. Though he was starting to get a little tired from the use of his magic.

"A few more spells, just a few more and then ill head home." Smiling wide he grabbed two blades of grass twisted them together. "Erek Val." From those two blades of grass a soft glow began to expand as the blades of grass became oneand grew in size. He had hoped it would make a sword as the spell called for but it seemed he would have to stick to the knife he could make at this time. He moved it around slicing a few leaves with ease as it seemed the grass blade was sharp. He smiled wide happy his father wasnt great at hiding his old spells. Many he didnt know the language but the elvish and common tounge ones he memorized.

But like all good stories of hero's and folklore there had to be a moment where everything could be traced back, one moment where a person would know that's when things went wrong. This time it was gasp that marked that point in Zane's life. Such a simple act that had such powerful repercussions that shook and continue to shake Zane into his older years. It was this gasp that alerted him to the fact that he was no longer alone. When he turned to try and catch a glimpse of his watcher all he saw was wild red hair and that was when his heart sank and he felt like he would puke.

Wild red hair could only mean one thing and to him it was worse than if he had been caught by his father. Marry had caught him in the act of using magic which meant her father the priest in the town would know soon as well. He wpuld be dead if father Hagen told his father that he was seen practicing magic. He knew magic was disliked by the church if it was given by the devine God's. But what he didnt know was that father Hagen dispised magic of any kind with a burning passion. It went back to when his wife was unable to be saved by holy magic years earlier. From that day on he had slowly made magic a death sentence for any who dared practice it.

Looking back now Zane wondered why he had come to this dame river to practice his magic. Like a scared rabbit he dashed off with a need towards his childhood home. He had to get there before father Hagen could talk to his mother or father about what he had been doing. He felt twigs and branches of small trees and bushes cutting and scraping at his skin. But none of that mattered of his dad didn't find out from him first.

Heart pounding he ran to the back door happy to see his fathers wagon tied up and his horse in the stable. Throwing the door open he ran into his father wrapping his arms around him. "Zane? Whats gotten into you boy?" Tears streamed down the young elf's face as he started to speak. "Im sorry dad, im so sorry. I know you said never but... I know you did but I could help it. I used magic down by the river. I did so against your rules, and... and... and Marry caught me using it before she ran away."

Vandalin looked down at his bot with fear in his eyes. Never before had he ever feared anything except losing his family. But now those very fears could be very real in this instance. Kneeling down he hugged his son tightly as he looked to his wife. "Coral, I'll have to talk to Hagen." The silver haired woman shook her head. "Van? Please don't, we could just leave couldnt we?" Zane was now confused but it wouldn't help to ask questions right now. Vandalin shook his head with a stern look. "No running for me my love. Pack and head for Everheart. Ill make my way to you a....as soon as I can." She nodded as they kissed both crying profusely.

Zane's mother pulled him away from his father. "Pack for a trip little one. We are going to go see your grandparents. Make sure to bring a few toys for the journey. Ill need your protection on the way my little love." Zane nodded but before he could leave his father hugged him again and spoke softly. "I love you my son, and your magic is not bad or evil, it is yours and if you use it for good than it is good. Don't let others tare you down because you have magic. Show them that magic isn't what they think it is."

It was an hour later as Zane and his mother were about to head out that a knock came at their front door followed by a gruff and angry voice. "CORAL! Come on out and bring your boy now. I think your husband would appreciate it very much." Coral was shaking and Zane wondered why father Hagen seemed so angry. But before they could do anything their back door was kicked in and two of the local soldiers who grabbed Coral and the other grabbed Zane before dragging them outside to see Vandalin beaten and bloodied, in chains and with tears in his eyes when he saw his family captured.

The next few minutes were a blur as Vandalin broke free in a blinding light to free Zane. Then Zane watched as a sword was thrusted through the back of his fathers head and out through his mouth. Blood sprayed across Zane's face and chest before his tears started to wash them away. Coral's scream pierced the air before she broke free to pull Zane and toss him towards the woods. "Run..... Zane..... run now my lov....." a dagger found her side and and this scream was filled with both pain and the loss of both her son and husband. She knew she wouldn't survive but maybe her son could.

Zane ran as hard and as fast as his feet could take him. He ran for almost an entire day before he collapsed inside a cave. No thought given to if a bear lived inside. It was there he passed out crying still from all he had seen. When he came to a young dragon was wrapped around him and he heard a soft voice. "Easy little one, I will not hurt you. My name is Caraand I am sorry for everything you have been put through. I will protect you and teach you to survive."

That is how it was for the next to centuries. Cara raised the young elf into a... well boisterous and happy young man. His magic became grand and well known throughout many kingdoms. Though mainly because he traveled with a young dragon draped around his neck. But through her he started to change the perception of those higher up in the kingdoms.

It was now at the age of 256 years old that Zane and Cara had begun to change the perception of people and their view on magic. Zane had become a well known mage and adventurer while doing his best to not hate himself for his use of magic. But each day brought a new opportunity, a new adventure and a new person to teach and learn from as how to bring forth the importance and beauty of magic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom