Challenge Submission Blind Love

Cat

𝓒atㅤ 𝗀𝗈𝗍ㅤㅤ, ㅤ 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 ㅤ 𝗍𝗈𝗇𝗀𝗎𝖾?
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 6:58 AM
Pronouns
They / She
It was a cold, foggy morning. The dewlap of tallgrass swayed through the carefree wind where a pair of feet dragged through. A woman wearing a linen cloak breached through the trails and up towards what would be a peaceful village. Everything was silent -- as if it was the calm before a great storm. Digging her toes into the earthly soil beneath her, she suddenly halted when her eyes drew across two tall men carrying a table. A roundhouse smirk flitted across her features as she started to make her way towards them. "Excuse me," she called out lowly, her fingers splayed out in an accordion motion. It appeared as though the men were ignoring her; instead focusing on placing the table down where their boss asked them to. "I said excuse me," this time, her tone was more aggressive and the hood of her cloak slicked back against her shoulders. The two men finally attuned their attention to the woman and abruptly, they stood frozen. Their lazy hues met and almost instantly their bodies began to mold into stone. A quick cry of help splattered from one of the men's lips before they could no longer move. "Men who ignore those who need help deserve to be stuck." Medusa clicked her tongue, her fingers sliding across the table that was stuck hovering in the air as the two stone men held onto it.

"This would make for a lovely feasting table." It was a note to herself but she hadn't realized that someone else was nearby, watching. Two eyes bore into the back of Medusa and carefully, the serpent-esc woman spun around. "Watch where those eyes go--" she suddenly stopped speaking, noticing that it was a young woman glancing at her. Medusa couldn't help it, her eyes met hers, but nothing happened. She hadn't turned into stone. "What?" The cloaked woman asked softly, confused as to why this woman wasn't affected by her powers.

"I'm blind." She finally spoke. The young woman with a buzzcut started to walk forward, her eyes moving everywhere.

It was like an entire tsunami hit Medusa. She... was blind? Without even thinking, she started to speak. "What is your name? And stop walking, I'll come to you." Carefully, the stone-making woman started to make her way over towards the other young lady. "My name is Eula. I'm a... well, sorta still in practice witch. Who are you?" Both of Eula's arms moved outward so Medusa could grab for her. "I'm Medusa or you can call me Gorgo."

Slowly, they started to walk together. "Oh, are you the woman who turns people to stone?" The pythoness asked softly, her head tilting to the side as if to procure interest in the conversation. "Yes, I am the woman that turns people into stone--" she was immediately cut off by Eula. "But not me! Oh... you must be so lonely. Do you... have any friends?" There was a pregnant pause, almost as if the cloaked woman didn't want to respond to it truthfully. How curious though, she wanted to be truthful for the witch. "No, I don't have friends. Besides the snakes in my hair, I am rather lonely." Without there being another skip of silence, the woman with a buzzcut fondly grabbed for Medusa's hand. "I understand that. I really do. Being blind limits me to seeing others, connecting with others, being with others... I've been outcasted as a monster because I'm a witch. Everyone thinks of me as a joke now that I'm blind. What harm could a blind witch do?"

The comment made Medusa stop in her tracks to ponder. "Is that really how they view you? As a joke because you can't see?" It was as if a bit of motherly anger rose in her tone. How unfair and cruel life was. "As far as I'm concerned, you're still a witch to me. And, I think you're the only person I've ever met who hasn't been affected by me." What was this that she was feeling through the cool autumn breezes? Something waned and churned in her stone-cold frame. Perhaps Medusa was feeling compassion for the first time in her life. Especially for someone else who wasn't affected by her bore of a gaze. "Eula, do you view me as a monster?" She asked suddenly, her eyes flickering over the witch's face. All she could see was warmth in the woman's features. She wasn't cold, stone, or unbreathing. It was someone she could finally talk to.

"To be fair, I don't view anything. I simply listen and to me, it sounds like you're not a monster. Just cursed with something that gives you the look of a monster." Eula offered a smile, one of complete compassion. "Hey, do you think we can both look like monsters but be human on the inside?" The blind woman inquired, her hands still taking hold of Medusa's as if to relay comfort to the taller woman.

"Yes, I would quite like that Eula." Without warning, the taller woman brought the witch into an abrupt embrace. It was one that carved out the stone in that ancient pillowing body of hers. Every tumbling rock of exhaustion in Medusa's face fell. Finally, someone she could be around. Someone who would accept her for the troubled 'monster' that she was. "I don't want to let you go." She confessed, a slight laugh escaping her lips as she did so.

"Then don't Medusa. Just hold onto me and I'll be your eyes."

Back
Top Bottom