heather

Emperor
Local time
Today 9:47 AM
Pronouns
she/her
Trigger warning: Arguably dark themes

"Bless me, Father, for I have sinned."

The confession booth was smaller than I remembered it. The tight space was made of all dark wood, the air stale yet dank from the unyielding spring rain. My broad shoulders touched both of the walls to my sides despite me curving them inward, and my knees were crammed against the wall in front of me. There was no light, the remnants of a candle that had burned out long ago forgotten in the corner. It felt much like a coffin. And what could be more fitting for a vampire?

There was no priest on the other side of the screen, but I spoke anyway, the words a familiar taste on my tongue despite the time that had passed since I'd last spoken them. "It has been, well..." My eyes found the molding ceiling as I did math in my mind. "It's been about one hundred and eight years since my last confession." I was a small human child then. Back when all I had to confess was tugging on my little sister's hair and stealing an extra portion of dinner behind my mother's back.

Now? If I was to admit to every sin I committed, I'd spend the better portion of the rest of my undead existence confessing within the confines of these dilapidating walls.

"And I am about to sin again." The words were a promise into the darkness. As a child, I'd accepted my consequences and done my penance. Now, there was no one with the power to punish me. No one but myself. And what I was about to do to her.

I'd heard the story a thousand times over again and never suspected it could be true. Vampires who, with one taste of the right blood, lost all sense of sanity over a human. The legends said that every vampire had one - their Bloodbound. I never thought it would happen to me. Yet that one unsuspecting night was all it took. How many thousands of times had I brought an unsuspecting female home with me just to feed? But I'd known the very second her blood touched my lips and my body lit up like it was on fire from the inside out that Bloodbounds did exist.

Despite the fact that she'd called me a monster, she fucking consumed my every thought. I wanted nothing more than to sink my fangs into her every minute of the day, to taste her across my tongue. Anyone that dared to even look at her the wrong way had their necks snapped instantly. She tried to run, of course, as if she had any chance of escaping me. She'd spoken to the authorities, and when that didn't work, she'd even tried the vampire hunters. As if I couldn't fight off anyone she sent. As if I couldn't track her to any corner of this planet by just her scent alone.

Every theory had crossed my mind. Perhaps they existed as a vampire's one weakness. They were certainly distracting. And any harm to one's Bloodbound aside from natural causes threatened to kill the vampire. Maybe it was reassurance that even if vampires Turned all humans, some would be left as a food source. Whatever the case, the legends were true.

I could feel her approaching the church, an itch across my skin at her proximity. I was surprised she came of her own volition. Perhaps she was finally learning that whether or not she wanted to, she would end up here. My tongue traced my sharp fangs on instinct as if testing to make sure they were ready for her. In less than a second, I was free of the walls of the confession booth, my shadow cast across the long aisle. Candles illuminated her as she removed her hood, raindrops falling to the floor. Blue eyes pinned me, her long black hair falling down her back.

"Come here." My command was gentle, yet I could hear the gravely tone my voice took on when she was in my presence. When we were apart, she was afraid of me. Yet when she was in my presence, she melted, the Bloodbound bond somehow taking over us both like a spell.

I couldn't help the amused smile that twitched at the corners of my mouth. My Bloodbound was walking down the aisle to me, and it would likely be the only time a woman would ever do so. Yet there was no need for vows. She already owned every fucking inch of me both inside and out. I could never escape her. Not as long as I existed. Not as long as she lived.

"Why here?" she asked quietly, wide eyes looking up into mine. My hand rose to touch her face gently, and she leaned into it as if it was the only thing keeping her steady. She didn't know that I was going to change her into one of us. I was going to steal her innocence. I was going to commit the grandest sin I ever would commit, all because I was selfish. The thought of harming her was enough to make me want to stab a stake through my heart, and when I'd decided to Turn her, it made me so sick that I'd nearly starved myself to death.

I'd absolved myself with lies. I repeated the mantra in my head over and over, through the nausea, through the shaking in my limbs, though the urge to rip out my own heart and place it bleeding before her: Whatever horrific thing had created vampires and Bloodbounds was at fault - not me.

"Why not?" I asked her, my tone playful. She didn't know that I was born in this very church nearly a hundred years prior. It was the only place I wanted her to be reborn.

There was a frown on her face, and as always, any sign of her displeasure made me want to burn the world to the fucking ground, even if I was the cause. But I had to do this. I had to remain strong. I wasn't the first vampire to make the choice, so I knew the undeniable risks. The chances of her surviving The Change were slim to none. But it wasn't a choice for me anymore. Her unnatural death, perhaps at the hands of one of my enemies, was a recipe for insanity or death. I could protect her until she found her natural death, and then I would be free of her, no longer bound by blood. But I could not lose her to death without trying, whether it was natural or not.

If I lost her, it would be because I chose to. Nothing else would fucking take her from me.

I brought my wrist to my mouth, puncturing the skin there with my fangs. She gasped and opened her mouth to speak, and the concern in her gaze over me was enough to make me want to kiss her until she was breathless. "Here," I whispered, raising my wrist to her lips. Her eyes flitted between the blood and my face. I would not make her drink - I wanted her to do this because she wanted to. Because she wanted me. Her fingers were shaking as she grabbed my arm, raising my wrist to her mouth. She drank. "Good girl," I praised. Her pupils dilated and her heart raced - she always enjoyed that.

"Come here, Bloodbound," I said, and she stepped into my arms, embracing me around the waist. She was so warm. So human. I could smell the shampoo in her hair, the rain on her skin, the arousal she felt at drinking my blood - something I hadn't read about in any of my material sources.

It was time. I had to kill my Bloodbound. I thought snapping her neck would be easiest - quick and painless. But I couldn't do it. I would never get to taste her again after this, so my choice was simple. I would drink her dry.

I turned her around in my grasp, her back pressed flush against my front. One of my arms held her around the waist while the other found her head, and I tilted her neck to give me better access. When my lips touched her skin, goosebumps raised across her flesh. "You did not choose this, and neither did I. Yet you are mine. You will be mine forever," I whispered. I licked her skin before my teeth punctured her, the taste flooding me instantly.

Since finding her, I'd drank from her plenty of times. My body would never allow me to take too much, to harm her. But this time, I persevered. It took me nearly ten years of training and building to be able to do it. To push past the burning in my veins that felt like lava. To ignore the pressure in my brain that made it feel like it was going to explode. She clung to me and I took and took from her. At some point, I'd crumpled to the floor, both of us on our knees. My body shook as I willed all my muscles to remain in place. Lightning flashed and thunder cracked outside as if the universe was making its anger known.

I didn't fucking care.

Her heartbeat slowed and slowed, my girl falling limp in my arms. The pain was unbearable, but it was the only way I could keep her. Her warmth was fading, her breaths shallow as I tightened my grip, crushing her to me. I savored every last drop of her blood, willing myself to not take it for granted despite the horrific pain ravaging every inch of my mind, body, and soul. Silence rang in my ears, the lack of the sound of her heart one that would haunt me for the rest of my existence, be it short or long. Tears fell from my eyes, splashing on her skin.

My Bloodbound would either never wake again, or she would wake as my Mate.

Back
Top Bottom