Currently reading:
Challenge Submission I’ll See You Under The Moonlight

Emberoflight

Count
Local time
Today 10:08 PM
Pronouns
She/her

I gazed at the fair maiden from the beach side, sighing as her sad song descended upon me. I'd come here so many times to hear that song, and it never ceased to make my soul soar. She sat out on a pillar, completely oblivious to the hidden menace just half a mile away from her. It was better that she didn't see me, in all honesty. I tended to scare others away more than invite them in. I couldn't seem to redirect my gaze even if I had wanted to. The way she sat atop the waves, looking like she too was an ephemeral part of the sea. Her hair lay rippling down her back while her face depicted the dancing mists surrounding her. That voice, though, that bewitching voice. It traversed across the ocean surface till it reached the shoreline, each note a pristine chorus filled with bitter emotion.

A siren's song always sounded different to each of its recipients, ascertaining what they yearned for most. Sailors were usually drawn to a powerful lust, having not known a lover's touch during their time at sea. From the moment they chose to follow her call, was the instant they forfeited their lives. Yes, this was how the beautiful creatures survived, by wiping out those who could not resist her call, and there were numerous.

And I was no exception.

The rules were a little different for me, however. What I truly desired was an impossibility for someone like me. I had to content myself with her song, and the cruel way she dangled it in front of me. She was an evil temptress, a monster.

Just like me.

I stepped closer to the water's edge, my eyes never leaving her. Something was different. Her song was not as compelling as it normally was. That and I found it rather unorthodox that she'd come to an abandoned cove where the odds of getting a meal were practically nonexistent.

Her song was filled with sorrow and described a deep sense of loneliness. She wanted freedom from the constraints of her being; of the laws that governed her species.

A tender smile lifted the corners of my mouth, the first in over a decade.

If I had a heart, I'd like to think it would be echoing her song right back. Maybe they would harmonize and together we could create a different melody.

Her grief was palpable, each word used to weave a tale of misfortune and loss. Everything had been taken from her, and all sirens. They were lone hunters, only coming together if their prey needed the numbers to take them down.

Yet, she longed for more, not content living a life of isolation anymore

Maybe we could be different together.

She desired a life where she could bask in the warmth of others and walk alongside them. To not be feared or forced to satiate her undeniable hunger. This was her plea, intended only for the stars above and any other listening ear.

Including me-Death

For so long, I'd observed her regard families amassing on the beach every summer. I'd, honestly, empathized every time she'd inch forward, hoping to garner some attention. Maybe they'd want to play with her if she called them over. Yet, it only took her a moment to remember; as desperately as she wanted to be seen and heard, she couldn't.

Reality would settle in, the consequences were too much. Either she'd turn into the hunted or she'd have to prevent them from spreading news of her kind. The only way to ensure their silence would be their demise.

Tonight saw her weeping tears that added a lovely huskiness to her voice. Was this life worth living if her only purpose was to help contain the human population? To wake up, hunt, scavenge, rinse, repeat? If it was, she wanted no part in it.

I wasn't supposed to empathize with her, but I did and I knew all too well how potent her desire was.

Because we shared the same wish

Only there was no escape for me

I was the escape for everyone else.

That's why I was here tonight, not just to bask in her song, but to grant that despicable wish.

My shoulders slumped, feeling the heavy burden that lay there. Without another thought, I spread my ebony wings and took flight. Easily, I covered the distance from shore to stone, not emitting a single sound upon landing.

At once, her song ceased and I noted the spread of goose flesh along her back. I couldn't help the frown that furrowed my brow. She knew I was here even when there was no indication of my presence yet.

Only a few people could sense my coming but those were few and far between.

No matter.

Stepping to her side, I took a seat to her left and stared at my feet dangling just above crashing waves. Folding my hands primly on my lap, I glanced at her illustrious tail, completely taken aback by its beauty. I could feel her shudders of fear and found myself wanting to comfort her.

"I liked your song" I rasped, my words making her tremble. I didn't blame her, it'd been a few hundred years since I last spoke. My voice was reduced to a raspy echo of those I'd taken with me. Even I had difficulty separating my voice from all of those that I'd harbored.

"Erm…thanks" In comparison her voice was positively angelic, making me feel like I shouldn't have spoken. This stunning creature was undeserving of anything less than the absolute best quality in everything.

My face must have given my thoughts away because her next words stunned me, "I love your voice" She said serenely "I didn't think that-" Her mouth quickly shut, afraid to finish her sentence.

"That I could talk?" Another smile bloomed on my face, she had that effect on me.

"…Yes" She finally admitted, looking down at her hands in fear.

I lifted her chin and met her eyes, something I'd not done to any living being. Heck, even touching was a first. Normally I only held onto mortals incorporeal forms.

Her gaze threatened to swallow me, and I found that I wouldn't mind such a fate. I almost wished she possessed the ability to end my existence. Then I could fall into the sweetest of slumbers with her voice surrounding me like a warm blanket. It beat being the immortal I was whose soul purpose was taking from mortals. Some called it "ferrying" or "guiding" but I knew the truth. I was the worst thief in existence; that would ever exist.

I stole souls.

It didn't matter who you were, what you did in life, who you knew, Who/what you loved, I would eventually steal them all.

"I'm not going to hurt you" I never did. I was now equally as nervous, as her. My hand fell from holding her chin and came to rest on my lap. I did not fear her as she did me, however. I felt…drawn to her, and that in itself was terrifying.

Who knew the Grim Reaper could be tamed by a siren song

Maybe not tamed, more "captivate"? "Held Hostage"? Yes, that was a better depiction. I never wanted to be set free- ever.

She turned to look back out at sea, her shoulders slowly relaxing "Am I going to die here, then?" Her words were wistful like she already knew the answer.

The few mortals I'd conversed with, seemed to always ask that question. Normally, I dreaded answering, but with her…it was different. I'd do anything just to hear her speak.

"That's up to you" It usually was up to the mortal. There were unquestionable exceptions, but these rare one-on-one instances usually were the result of specific choices made, sometimes, even years in advance.

A ghost of a smile peeked through, her eyes remaining riveted on the starry reflection around us "That's an exceedingly lame and evasive answer."

"I know." I chuckled "But that doesn't make it any less true." Reaching up, I found myself scratching the back of my neck nervously, "I find it's better to not plant any ideas about your resolutions or fate, or what have you. I want you to have a choice till your last" That and I always dreaded doing my job. People didn't understand what they had until it was taken from them and I was usually the one to blame.

"You're different than what I expected" My angel pulled me back from my thoughts and back into the light, eliciting an actual laugh from me.

"I hope that's a good thing. I wouldn't want to annoy you to death." The words came out so casually, and it wasn't until they were out in the open that I realized how misconstrued they could be.

"I-I mean, I wouldn't want -"

She exploded into a fit of giggles, laughing so hard she became slightly red in the face

I could only stare in complete awe, a shit-eating grin appearing on my face.

Finally, her laughter died a bit, and she lifted a hand to wipe at her tears "Who would have thought the Grim Reaper would be the one to make me laugh harder than I ever have in my life." Her eyes sparkled with wonder.

My heart stilled, or at least if I had one it would have.

It was a good thing I wasn't alive, technically.

Reaching out, she hesitantly took my hand and spoke sincerely "Thank you"

"For what?"

"For comforting me tonight." Her eyes dropped to where she clasped mine "If you hadn't, I don't think I-"

"I know" I crooned, lifting my free hand to cup her cheek "I know…"

That night changed us forever. No matter how much time passed, I'd always recall getting to know her even after my final visit; when I took her home at last.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom