Currently reading:
Challenge Submission Questions for a Queen

MaliceInWonderland

How fine you look when dressed in Rage
Local time
Today 7:44 PM
Pronouns
they/them
There is no question that the woman before us is a queen. Not just because of her beautiful, elaborate red silk dress covering her form, or the fact that a glittering, bejeweled crown sits on her head. She is sitting and waiting with a grace and poise not seen in some time. Her locks of raven hair are also adorned with small gemstones woven within, giving the resemblance of a night sky. There is a wisdom and power shrouded around her as if a cloak.

This is Queen Clariel Amani Imaje originally from the desert Kingdom of Say'uvvan. However, this is her maiden name that she has recently taken back in an act of power and a sign of the status of her previous marriage. She previously was known as Queen Clariel Amani Balliol of the Kingdom of Obrea.

This is why we've decided to ask for Queen Clariel to sit down with us, to discuss the rather unbelievable series of events that led to she leaving her husband, King Frederick Balliol, something that is rather rare in royalty - especially in a far more conservative kingdom such as Obrea.

Interviewer: Thank you so much for agreeing to this conversation, Your Highness. I know that you have had many confront you on the situation at hand, but you've agreed to speak with us on it. May I be so blunt as to ask why us and not the others?

Queen Clariel: (She smiles, her full lips seemingly painted as deep a crimson as her dress) Of course. I have seen the information you have released in your scrolls, newspapers, even magical announcements. Despite that others say that your country speaks against Obrea from a position of a vendetta due to a historic hostility, everything I have read from you has been nothing but the truth. (Her smile increases just slightly)

Interviewer: (Laughs) Well, that's quite the reason. So really, you want more people to know the truth of your time as Queen of that nation? Nothing to do with the rather… hostile separation between you and King Frederick?

Queen Clariel: (Her smile turning almost… sarcastically amused) These things do not have to be mutually exclusive.

Interviewer: (Laughs again) Alright, well, based on reports it seems that the catalyst for this entire thing was... or is... a dragon. A rather huge dragon, might I add. One that fills the skies with red, both in fire and the color of their scales. Is that correct? Would you like to talk about that?

Queen Clariel: That is indeed correct. It was during King Frederick's birthday that the aforementioned dragon attacked the castle. King Frederick had foolishly stolen from him, from his hoard, and he came to reclaim what was rightfully his. However, my husband, ever the coward, refused to come out of the castle nor give back what he had taken. So as a result, the dragon took me as a sort of political move; you steal my treasure, I steal yours - we will trade or I will destroy your kingdom. However, the dragon was woefully incorrect on what he thought was treasure to the king.

Interviewer: Huh, a bit of a romantic ideology from a dragon. Can you expand on the last part?

Queen Clariel: The dragon assumed that I was a worthy 'treasure' to Frederick, being his crowned queen and all. But, I was nothing of the sort. In fact, it ended up being that Frederick figured that this was somehow a rather perfect situation: get rid of me, refuse to return the treasure, figure out how to deal with a dragon's wrath later, putting his entire kingdom's worth of people, and my life at the time, at risk for his own greed.

Interviewer: Wow. Almost unbelievable in a way. But from what we've seen of you, it seems things changed in your time with the dragon? Speaking of, I'm sure he has a name?

Queen Clariel: He does, but it's nothing that should be known by the masses. 'The Dragon' will be fine for this interview. But, yes. I realized quickly that I was not merely some enslaved political pawn despite what I had assumed would be the case. I've fought in wars in my original kingdom and country, I expected for terrible things to happen to me. But it was anything of the sort, and in fact the dragon was rather insulted that I even assumed such a thing. Dragons can be brutal, malicious creatures… but humans are often worse despite being so much smaller. It was… difficult, because I had obviously been rather violently stolen from my home by a deadly god-like creature nearly the size of the castle, and next thing I know I'm alone with it in a mountain. No matter my experience, though… he was kind from the beginning. I learned details of what was stolen and it changed my perspective, as well as the fact that I've been in military-based and political situations before, what he did was rather common in all honesty. There was a begruding understanding there, in a way. But moreso than that… I experienced that over the space of a week a dragon treated me with more goodwill, concern, and respect than my own husband had in years of marriage. Not to mention, Frederick sent one knight after me that week, and that's all.

Interviewer: (pauses) One knight? To go after a dragon of that size?

Queen Clariel: Quite insulting, is it not? It was for both myself and the dragon. But then everything became much worse. I willingly stayed with the dragon in order to protect my own kingdom, because he was a creature of his word, and would set the kingdom alight if his treasure was not returned. But when we sent the knight back, it turns out that King Frederick, overburdened and enraged with how many wished to see my safe return… killed him.

Interviewer: King Balliol killed one of his own knights???

Queen Clariel: Indeed. All in the name of suffocating the word that I was alive and well. From there, he told everyone I was dead so that no one would bother him with my retrieval.

Interviewer: (sudden look of recognition but then immediately horror) Oh! So that's why there were many announcements of your death. But yet here you are. My gods, how despicable. Now, please take no offense in this question Your Highness, but you seemed very popular with the people of Obrea, but apparently not with the King. Is that something you're willing to go into?

Queen Clariel: Of course. It's not all that interesting, though. Our marriage was arranged, as many royal marriages are. It was more of an alliance between Obrea and Say'uvvan in order to share our resources. He didn't wish to be married, but did so in order to be accepted as King once his father died. He also didn't want me for a bride. In my country, women can rule just as easily as men. In fact, Say'uvvan has been a sole queendom many time over its years. I went from being a militant and political strategist and warrior to… living an entirely conservative kingdom in which women are to be seen, and not heard. We conflicted often about it. He wanted a meek, submissive woman; he also didn't want to be married and his greed didn't want any heirs, either. He was intimidated by the idea that he would be replaced one day, seeming to think that he would be immortal.

Interviewer: Unfortunately, I can understand just how awful of a marriage that must have been. But to essentially abandon you to a dragon and fake your death without you being involved? I'm so sorry, Your Highness. That is truly abhorrent.

Queen Clariel: Honestly, I'm rather glad that it happened as distressing as it was at the time. There is a lot more into the emotional and spiritual aspect of it, but eventually I told the dragon of the depths of my abusive marriage and mistreatment as the queen; and how I realized I was not going to be retrieved. We decided then, to go back to the castle together and I would help him retrieve his treasure. That's when I discovered the depths of King Frederick's deception and lies, making the kingdom believe I was dead - murdered by the dragon. All so he could continue on being as he was, perhaps even attempting to obtain a different wife that was better suited to his preferences. I declared our marriage and royal alliance severed and left.

Interviewer: And I'm assuming the treasure was retrieved?

Queen Clariel: Yes. I found it and after the confrontation between the king and myself, I left. I initially went back with the dragon as it was a safe place for me to recover and decide what to do with my life after everything. I had to inform my family as Frederick wasn't going to tell them so he could continue to benefit of our alliance, and how to go from there. That's mostly where I am now.

Interviewer: If I may, does that mean you've returned to your kingdom as a Princess?

Queen Clariel: Oh, not at all. I am still a queen. I've remarried, after all.

Interviewer: (stunned) O-oh! I had no idea! My sincerest apologies, but also, congratulations! Perhaps no one had any idea! If I may ask, what lucky King or Prince have you married?

Queen Clariel: I married the dragon. (She looks out the window, but her smile is full, almost endeared)

Interviewer: (shocked) (laughs) You have quite the sense of humor, Your Highness!

Queen Clariel: (having turned back her gaze) Thank you, but I am quite serious. I took the time to get my life in order, but also the dragon and I realized we had grown quite fond of each other, and eventually, fell in love. Though I suspect perhaps we had been in love with each other rather early, even if neither of us realized or wanted to admit it at the time. After we courted while I sorted everything out… I asked if he would accept me as his bride, and his Queen.

Interviewer: (stunned) How… My apologies, if I may ask… how does one…?

Queen Clariel: (having tilted her head in amusement) How does one fall in love with a dragon? That part is easy. They're rather thrilling conversationalists, especially as they become older and wiser. He treats me with great respect, far more than I have experienced courting anyone, is endlessly loyal and affectionate, and we found that we loved each other. Just because our forms are vastly different, doesn't mean that love is restricted by physical form. It's certainly unconventional, but I find it all the more beautiful because of it.

Interviewer: (blinking) Oh. So it's an intellectual love and relationship. That is rather beautiful.

Queen Clariel: (as she arched an eyebrow) I see. You were meaning more to your question then? It is more than just intellectual. Love has many forms, as do dragons… and love also finds a way. That is all I'll say on the matter.

Interviewer: (staring) … ……….. …… .. . …

(It was at this time that an eruption of yelling could be heard from outside as well as the sound of massive flapping wings, and a great red shadow fell over the window)

Queen Clariel: It seems that he knows we are speaking of him, and is looking for me. I would love to continue speaking of other kingdom and royal relations tomorrow, if you'd prefer. For now, I have a husband to tend to.

Shockingly, it was here that suddenly Queen Clariel Amani Imaje opened the window, garnering the attention of the massive dragon that had landed in the courtyard outside. She merely let herself fall out of the window with no fear and a grace that would leave one breathless. She re-appeared moments later sitting atop the massive crimson beast, his long horns, black and wicked, forming his own crown. It was then that we all realized that her own crown was not adorned with gems, but the glittering carnelian scales of the dragon himself. She smiled and waved as were all stunned, especially as the dragon gave its own knowing smile, revealing thousands of forearm-length serrated teeth. With a mighty flap of colossal wings… the King and Queen were gone.

Back
Top Bottom