Challenge Submission Self Expectation

Ice

Critical Role Enthusiast
Local time
Today 1:02 AM

SELF EXPECTATION

"Who are you even trying to impress?"

Who am I trying to impress?

The words rang in Audun's ears over and over again as he held up a hand to block out the wind and shifting sands that blew in all directions. What Audun initially thought was the beginnings of a small dust storm, as he had watched an assortment of scorpions and lizards scurry back to their hidey holes, turned out to be something he hadn't prepared for. It was a full on blistering sandstorm.
Audun clung to the back of a curved boulder, holding his hood closed across his face as the full force of the storm blew over where he was now situated.

"That's not fair Seri and you know it. You know why I have to make the trek across the Forbidden Flats. The syndicate thinks I'm weak. And as is tradition- this will prove them otherwise."

Am I weak?

The sands blew harder and harder against the small patches of skin that Audun did not have covered. The blistering sands raked across his wrists, and scorched his skin. This is the end for me. Audun resigned himself, cowering deeper into a curled position to protect his arms from further harm.

"-Damn it Audun- We were well off already before they came along!"
"Well off Seri? Really? This is what being well off means."
Audun had gestured to the large home that they now resided in. "Not scrounging for food. Not spending nights in the street and being indebted to your father by staying in his abode."
"I told you, my father was happy to help us-"
"No Seri, end of discussion. I need to be on the syndicate's good side. I'm going."

Seri had sat down, defeated. "Promise me this is the last time Audun. The last test to earn their respect. Because otherwise we are just fools for being taken advantage of."
"I promise."

I promise.

Audun readjusted his goggles over his eyes and stared out, not even being able to see past his own nose. It was the worst storm he'd ever seen; and Audun knew he wouldn't last much longer if he stayed where he was. Sand had already risen past his ankles. He'd heard the stories of people being completely engulfed by the sands of the flats, never to be seen again, being the main reason why this valley was forbidden.
Audun felt his way along the rockface, finding that the winds had changed, and discovered that the coverage was now better on the opposite side. After feeling his way along for a time, it was then that Audun fell into a small hollow in the very center of the rockface; and it shielded him from the storm completely.

"Say it like you mean it."
Audun had sat down with her and slid his hands into hers; "I promise Seri. If they don't respect me after this, we will see who the real fools are."

Back
Top Bottom