Local time
Tomorrow 1:56 AM
Pronouns
She/her
[UNSC NEW HOPE | COMM:approved | STAT:delivered]
[FR: J. Bennet TO: A. Khan | D:05.02.58 T:02.12]
[MSG: Coming home!]

Ayla!

I know you've heard the news. Ship Command said they sent word as soon as we left deadspace outside the wormhole. The shitheads only opened up comms for us now.

I can't believe it!
We did it.
We got the protomolecule.

We're coming home. We're gonna fix everything!

Can't talk much now, we got hit with space debris getting out of that mess and I gotta go out there and fix the array panel. Don't worry, nothing major.

Just wanted to speak to you. You're the first person I thought of. I swear I could hear you. But that's crazy.

They say we'll be there in just 2.4 years. Well…around 18 years your time I think. That's nothing!

I love you. I miss you so fucking much. I'm coming home.

K gotta go.

- James.

p.s. Fuck, I cant believe it! I'm coming home to you!

James Bennet<j.bennet@unscnewhope>
To: Ayla Khan
Tuesday 5 February 2058 - 4.37am
RE: Coming home!

James, I'm so glad to hear from you. The New Hope went dark and nobody knew why. Control never tells us anything.

I don't know how long it was for you, for us, almost twenty days.
Imaging the worst, praying for the best.

It doesn't matter now, I suppose, you're all ok. And you're coming home. I've been crying for hours. My voice is hoarse and my heart hurts. When they told us the news I almost fainted. Don't worry, I didn't this time.

You have to go outside the ship? That sounds dangerous. Don't they have maintenance personnel or something for that? Please be careful.

What does the proto thing look like? I wish we could send pictures. Or recordings. I really miss your voice.

Eighteen years sounds like a long time, but it's almost been that long since you left.

I've changed,
I've got a grey hair now.
It makes me laugh thinking,
about the strife you'd give me,
if you were here, and not out there.

I'm so happy right now, to hear from you, even without hearing you.
I love you. Please be careful.

Yours,
- Ayla

[FR: J. Bennet TO: A. Khan | D:15.03.58 T:16.37]

Hey,

Fuck sorry, it was just a couple hours for us. Felt like 20 days tho, the ship was shaking so bad I thought it'd tear itself apart.

We're still doing repairs, don't worry, I'm being careful. We lost some of our engineers and techs, so we all have to pitch in where we can.

They don't let us near the protomolecule. From far away it just looked like a blue glowy thing. We have to keep it near the reactors so it doesn't die or something. I dunno, some weird sciencey stuff.

Hard to think that thing is gonna save the earth somehow.

I bet you look so beautiful with that grey hair. I wish I could touch it, tuck it behind your ear. I wish I could do a lot of things.

I have that photo of us at the Twelve Apostles pinned to my wall, when we took that road trip before they fell down.

You looked so beautiful there,
fuck we were young.
Just a kid with a grin,
standing next to an angel.

I could have stared at you for hours, watching the wind play with your dress.

You kissed me for the first time just before we took that photo. You remember?

Miss you, Aylie.

- James

P.s. how's school?

P.p.s I missed your words.

Thursday 22 May 2059 - 11.42pm
RE: Coming home!

I'm sorry for the late reply, love.

What do you mean you lost techs? What happened to them?

They've started to shut down the labs to conserve power and resources. I've come to the Gibson Desert Observatory, we're hoping this one's too remote for them to bother with. It's starting to feel strange here, everybody's really tense…more so than usual.

The weather's changing, too. We had snow yesterday. I wish you'd been here to see it with me.

Red expanse,
under a blanket, pure white.
Gold spinifex and sun,
gone pale from fright.

It was beautiful, I know you'd have thought so too. If you didn't think about the fact that it was because our home is dying…

They're really anxious for the specimen, there's all sorts of rumours flying about on the forums. I try not to get caught up in it.

Of course I remember that trip. I'd been dropping hints for days, queuing up the cheesiest, soppiest love songs I could find to play in that jalopy of yours.

I remember your lips, and your hands. The way you looked at me. I wanted to catch your gaze and keep it. Maybe if I had, I could have unbottled it now so you could watch me while I fall asleep, like you used to.

Yours,
- Ayla

P.s. I graduated last year in November, you dingus. That's Doctor Aylie, to you, mister.

[FR: J. Bennet TO: A. Khan | D:09.11.64 T:14.07]

Shit, Ayla. Sorry. Can't believe I forgot.

Sorry. Doctor Ayla.

I'm so proud of you. Even if I'm going to give you neverending shit about the wanky title.

You're so fucking smart.
I wanna put you on my shoulders,
raise you up and show you off.
Look at my incredible girl,
so bright, and strong, and sexy as fuck.

We're making good time, the engine's are doing well. Better than well, actually. They reckon it's something to do with our proto friend down there. Too scared to poke it too much in case it spooks and we lose our speed.

So guess what, you'll be seeing my ugly mug sooner than expected.

Wear your wanky doctor robe and hat when you pick me up. And nothing else. K?

- James

[[ADMINISTRATOR MESSAGE: J. Bennet, A. Khan]]

These communications are closely monitored. Please refrain from using profanities and explicit references in your messages.

- Warning #1 -

Monday 05 January 2065 - 09.28am
RE: ADMINISTRATOR MESSAGE

You are so embarrassing.

They called me into the office for this.

[FR: J. Bennet TO: A. Khan | D:27.04.65 T:14.07]
[MSG: ADMINISTRATOR MESSAGE]

Hehehehe.

Monday 05 January 2067 - 09.28am
MSG: I'm scared. I love you.

James, I don't know what's happening.

It's all over the comms, something went wrong in their calculations. Part of the earth is just…crumbling. It's spreading. I don't know how long the comms will stay up.

We're so brittle.
There's nothing inside anymore.
We're falling apart,
from inside,
from each other.

We're trying to make for the space station launch pad in the red centre. There's still time.

I'm scared, James.

I wish you were here.
I wish your hand was around mine.
I wish your lips were on my ear, whispering;
it's going to be alright.

I love you, you know.
I've loved you, since that sunset;
the way it touched your hair,
and your skin.

I was jealous of it.
I wanted it to be me.
And my hands.
And my lips.

Remember me as I was then. And know that I loved you.

Yours,

always.

- Ayla

[FR: J. Bennet TO: A. Khan | D:06.01.67 T:03.14]
[RE: I'm scared. I love you.]

Ayla, we're getting some weird as fuck news. They're saying something about an event.

The planet cracking. What do they mean?

I dreamt of you last night. You were out here, with me. Not on the ship. Properly out here, in the stars. You were so fucking beautiful. In that dress, on that coast. Glittering, my little space ray. You were looking at me with that face.

That beautiful face.

Can you tell me what's going on?

Just wait for me, ok? I'm almost there.

Send me some words, Aylie.

Please.

[UNSC NEW HOPE | COMM:error | STAT:failed]
[FR: J. Bennet TO: A. Khan | D:06.01.67 T:06.03]
[MSG: Wait for me]

Ayla?

🌙

Last edited:
Back