Staff member
Administrator
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 6:38 AM
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello again Sanctum Dwellers.

First, sorry about the impromptu vacation. No, none of you were banned (Not even you, you know who you are), it was a site error.

What happened?

TL;DR: James broke the site

The long story: So around noon, I was working on the Admin Control Panel and went to install an add-on. I won't say what it did, but it was an incredibly basic feature designed to help me rework some site prefixes. This is completely normal, Otys and I have done it probably a hundred times between us at this point. Press button, upload zip file, done.

This time, the site crashed.

So here is what happened. It turns out, the add-on was for a higher PHP version than the Sanctum is running. Normally, this isn't a problem, the site just pops an error message, I swear a bit and we schedule an update.

But, you see, dear dwellers, it turns out, unbeknownst to us (and for the record, to any admins of any Xenforo site), that compatibility warning is not part of the site software. It is a failsafe built into the add-ons themselves. But this add-on was special, because it was programmed by a moron. And not an ordinary, run-of-the-mill moron. I'm talking a "brain so smooth you could skip it across a pond" moron. Not only did he not include the failsafe, he didn't even put the PHP version requirements in the installation instructions. So when it was uploaded, everything immediately broke.

That was actually a fairly simple fix, just uninstall the add-on—but the crash also affected the Admin Panel, so we needed to access the server itself. As a result, we needed to wait the several hours for our friendly tech guy to get home, as he was the only one who had the key.

Some changes:

1. So, now that we know that add-ons do not in fact have safeguards, we will be reopening an old testing ground for future additions

2. We have plans to add a way to more easily access the backend of the site in an emergency

3. Long story short, this should never happen again

Additionally:

Back in 2016, we made a Facebook and a Twitter to make announcements during downtime (our server was a lot worse in those days). However, recent events have made both of these sites, well, completely useless

I had planned to address this at some point, in the downtime we agreed on a solution. Introducing: The Sanctum Announcements Discord (Link expires in one week): Join the Sanctum Announcements Server Discord Server!

To be clear: This is not a site Discord Server like you might have experience with. It has no chat right now, nor will it. We have seen the problems they have created for other sites and we are not touching that particular landmine. It will be used for only three reasons:

1. To provide a place for users to get updates during scheduled downtime

2. For site announcements

3. For emergencies

Join it and you can get occasional announcements, major and minor.

I will say this only once: Do not message other users off the server. The only exception is that you can use it to contact Admins. If we catch anyone doing it, the ban will be immediate and permanent. We maintain our rules and policy on off-site contact information, this server is exclusively intended as a replacement for now largely defunct social media platforms.

I'm assuming announcements will include an @here? I like to mute most of the servers I join except for mentions and would prefer not to miss any announcements.

I'm assuming announcements will include an @here? I like to mute most of the servers I join except for mentions and would prefer not to miss any announcements.

Any important ones will, as well as occurring on site.

I wondered what happened but found the Twitter (cough, excuse me…X) and Facebook when I checked hadn't been updated since 2020 or 2021. Mistakes happen, even those unforeseen but hopefully you guys and the people who own/run XenForo can figure out something so the site doesn't crash when trying to update. And totally…some of these discord severs are really…crazy.

Thank you for all that you do that we don't see to keep the site running - even if it makes breaking it every once and awhile!
I've been on several RP sites and the Sanctum is top tier in terms of how little down/update time there is. I honestly think this is the first time I've ever seen the site down which is impressive!

How many grey hairs popped up because of this? Thank you all for dealing with all these headaches so we can play on your playground.

Cheers to the staff for the detail here and the forward thinking

Just a thought and maybe not a useful one but maybe it is. If you want to avoid managing a discord server for basic updates you might make a simple html status page as a subdomain or subdirectory, separate from where the forum software lives. Green for go. Red for issue. Yellow for working on it. Maybe a simple text field for context

Do site rules apply to user pfp's that join this server? Non-nudity, that kind of thing? Asking for a friend.

Back
Top Bottom