3000 Members & A Reborn Sanctum Resource Forum

Currently reading:
3000 Members & A Reborn Sanctum Resource Forum

Which topics would you most like to see guides made for?

• World Building

• Character Creation

• Science Fiction

• Fantasy

• Grammar/Word Choice

• Historical/History Inspired

• Supernatural

• Romance

• Tabletop/Dice Based Gaming

• Other (Please don't pick this unless you're making a suggestion in the thread :D )

Results are only viewable after voting.

JamesMartin

Sa souvraya niende misain ye
Staff member
Administrator
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 7:10 AM
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello Sanctum Dwellers,

3000 members!!! The mark has been a long time coming and we'd like to thank all the magnificent members and spectacular staff who have made it possible!!!

To celebrate the milestone, we're hoping to launch a new project, which will require the help and participation of members and staff alike.

Since the start, our goal for the Sanctum has not just been to be a place for people to write and roleplay, but to be a place where people grow and develop their skills to tell deeper, more meaningful and better-written stories. So for our 3000 mark, we'll be turning to our community to contribute their best advice as a resource for everyone.

Our plan is simple. Occasionally (exact interval is TBD), a new discussion thread will be created in our Resources forum. This thread will be featured and focus on a particular topic. These topics might be genres, aspects of genres or just related to different types of writing or roleplaying. Each thread will start with a post containing advice on the topic and will be open for other people to contribute. At the end of the period, all the advice in the thread will be compiled and posted as a Sanctum guide. While staff will write the OPs and guides as necessary, this is an area where we want member participation. We'll announce themes well in advance and accept suggestions. If you have an area you think you can contribute meaningful advice on, let us know!!! (all OP and guide content are subject to staff editing and approval) Advice does not necessarily need to be original, but please cite your sources if you use someone else's thoughts to contribute to your own.

And of course, either contributing advice that ends up in a guide or having your starter used for a thread will result in medals!!

Ultimately, our goal is to produce guides on a variety of topics which can help Sanctum Dwellers improve, expand and enjoy their writing even more. Our poll up top will help us figure out what topic we will start with, so be sure to give that a glance. Don't see the topic you want to read about listed? Suggest it below!

Thank you all again for getting us to this milestone and here's to getting to the next one as an even better place for people to write!!!

Best regards,

The Sanctum Admin Team

P.S. Don't forget to cast a daily vote!!! Voting keeps even more new members coming.

I chose Romance, Character creation and "Other".

Other being Story telling - Building a story is more than just a series or kinks or events, it goes with Character creation as well. It is about taking a concept or theme and making it come to life hopefully to the point where the story takes on a life of it's own and goes places that neither writer thought about previously. Keeping it interesting and wanting to keep coming back to post. Among other things.

I voted for all of them except 'other' cause i can't think of anything for now, lol.
I do like the idea of @Heathcliff Moors , a guide to help your stories come to live more. The show don't tell guide would be useful cause I still struggle with that x-x

I voted for all of them except 'other' cause i can't think of anything for now, lol.
I do like the idea of @Heathcliff Moors , a guide to help your stories come to live more. The show don't tell guide would be useful cause I still struggle with that x-x

Everyone role plays for different reasons of course, if some just want to jump straight to the smut then all well and good. But for those who want to create actually stories and intrigue than story telling and appreciating the nuances is key. I often find that I am more interested in the journey than the destination, how two characters deal with and interact about whatever it is they are going through. I have sometimes pissed partners off because I am wanting to take my time and enjoy the ride while they just want to get to "the good parts".

Characters who are challenged by the situation rather than just taking to it like ducks to water.

The classic rules of Who, Why, When, How and What. Especially Who, Why and How are important to me.

Reasons For What I Chose:
Romance: This is the one I say the most for simply because it's a huge theme and in most roleplays, yet it's usually VERY forced, and overrun with smut. Sex does not equal love. There should be a section on this for tips on making a romance seem more natural, flowy and in general better to read and write.

Grammar/word choice,world building and character creation: Those are just helpful in general

Reasons For What I Chose:
Romance: This is the one I say the most for simply because it's a huge theme and in most roleplays, yet it's usually VERY forced, and overrun with smut. Sex does not equal love. There should be a section on this for tips on making a romance seem more natural, flowy and in general better to read and write.

Grammar/word choice,world building and character creation: Those are just helpful in general

I think a lot of assumptions tend to get made and connections are meant to be taken for granted. Just like connection in real life though fictional characters need time to connect as well. And you have to give them personalities and lives to bring them to life so they can form bonds with each other. Otherwise, like you say you have 2 characters who are together but all they do is have sex. And even the sex is pretty generic, boring and badly written.

Hey. I just wanted to throw in my "Other" recommendation: RP Combat. It's a surprisingly complex subject that is open to a lot of interpretation. Unfortunately, all of the complexity and confusion means that very few RP conflicts reach an acceptable conclusion. I definitely believe there needs to be more resources made available to RP'ers about the subject. Particularly, resources that aren't dictating one specific type of combat or ruleset as the "best". Just my 2 cents.

I picked a few, but figured I would bring up the elephant in the room, and add writing erotica/smut and particularly D/s BDSM themes.
Believable sex scenes are few and far between in RP, and whilst i know we are writing fiction that doesn't mean breAk the story, or character, with highly unlikely scenarios.
The BDSM topic is very prevalent on adult writing sites as a a whole, and is often people's first experience of that world in general. I think some realistic guide to what that actually involves would be beneficial.
Also the difference in writing consensual/pseudo non-con and straight up non con. Could do with being touched upon.
If I think of anything else.
All the best.
Nyx.

"Other" for me. I think there needs to be something on RP negotiation as well as how to approach someone or for that matter respond to someone regarding getting RP's going. I am finding it has become a lost art.

Back
Top Bottom