Challenge Submission A New Queen

Currently reading:
Challenge Submission A New Queen

Local time
Today 3:44 AM
Pronouns
she/her
I leaned on the marble railing of my balcony over looking my husband's city. Laughter and cries of joy echoed through the crowds celebrating the wedding. My thin silk robe hardly protected from the frigid winds around the high spire housing our bedroom. Our. So strange.
I watched children run like ants to their parents as cannons fired announcing the consummation of the marriage. Sighing, I tried to banish the thought of a group of crusty royals watching me with my new husband. I tightened the robe around myself and grimaced. I forced my mind to focus on the sparkling confetti raining down across the city, wondering who would have to clean it up. It was a mixture of blue and silver. The colors of the royal family. My new family. My colors. Even all the way up here I could hear his...our...people. They were trying to wave and get my attention. They must have seen my silhouette even from down there. Surely they couldn't see any detail. I suddenly became very self conscious about how very sheer these robes were, but I waved. The explosion of cheers was more immediate than I expected and the volume shocked me. Stunned, I didn't notice the door to the balcony open and the footsteps that proceeded. I jumped again as a warm, strong hand touched the small of my back. I whipped my head around to see the tall man I married not even two hours prior. Somehow the cheers from before grew even louder as he stepped up next to me and waved down at them. He was shirtless, of course. Very confident in himself, maybe even arrogant, but he kind of had a right to be. I wasn't overly fond of him at first and admittedly I still wasn't fond of the idea of being married to him, but he was far from the worst I could have ended up with.
"Sorry if I frightened you, Astra," he said, moving his hand around my waist and pulling me closer. Were it under different circumstances I might have pushed him off, but I was cold and we just had sex in front of a bunch of people so it wasn't going to be embarrassing or anything. Everyone in the city heard the cannons. They knew. He was looking down at me when I glanced up to see his face, smiling. Why was he smiling?
"Never thought you'd just let me hold you against me like this." He stroked my hair and I rolled my eyes.
"Don't get used to it. I have to make it look good for the crowd right?" His smile dropped a bit at my words. Maybe I should be nicer, I thought. Then again, he doesn't deserve it. Why should I be nice to him. I'm here because of him. Sure I agreed to this but I didn't think about everything that came with it. I bet he did. Sighing, I leaned back onto the cold marble and looked down at the people again.
"They adore you." His voice cut through the sound of the wind to get to me. An odd power. Having perfect control over the weather of a specific region. That's why they made him king. All I did to earn their trust and love was look pretty and heal some people. It didn't feel right.
"They shouldn't. I haven't done anything worth while for them."
"Astra, it's okay to let people appreciate you for what you've done."
"What have I done for them?" I asked, gesturing to the people flooding the streets below.
"Well, for one thing you helped me save them," I started to interrupt him and he put up his hand, "You pulled me back from the brink of death when all hope seemed lost. You nearly died pulling children off the streets into their homes. Even if you didn't save every child during the attack you managed to save some and the parents of those children will never forget that. You single handedly coordinated the clean up and healing of survivors. Everyone in this city owes you their life, their love, and their loyalty. Especially me. Please try not to forget that."
I hadn't realized how much it meant to him that I saved him. I guess when you heal people as your job you sometimes forget how important that one small spell meant to them. I looked out over the city at the people I had such a hand in saving. I stared down at my people. I let it sink in that they loved me for what I had done for them. Something I considered insignificant. I remembered each child I physically carried out of harms way. I let myself breathe a deep breath of crisp air, noticing the wind had stopped around us. I grasped my husband's hand. Yeah. Maybe I could do this, I thought to myself. Maybe I could be the queen they thought I was.
I couldn't know the challenges waiting just beyond the horizon. The war of vengeance coming our way on blackened wings. So I just leaned on the man I was slowly growing fond of and closed my eyes as a new queen.

Back
Top Bottom