A Roleplay Request: Plots And Provisions

Currently reading:
A Roleplay Request: Plots And Provisions

Local time
Today 4:34 PM
Hello Sanctum Dwellers,

I'm looking for a roleplay driven by story, action, and character development. Themes of exploration, discovery, and mystery interest me the most. Romance wouldn't feature heavily in my writing but if that's a natural direction for the story I wouldn't steer away from a romantic subplot. You'll get no smut or ultra-violence from me but gore and sex are not off the table. To use the parlance of the Sanctum, I would like much of the roleplay to be suitable for Mark Twain's Table - though the story would be in Poe's Corner to allow for dramatic moments and less censorship. Also, completely free-form roleplaying is not something I'm interested in at this time. I would like at least a little out-of-character discussion and planning.

If you're still reading then we might be looking for each other! First, let me clarify some of the above. Regarding themes, the aforementioned interests are just that - interests. It's just to tell you a little about myself but not to limit plots or settings. If you're more excited to write a story of revenge, or the rise of a hero, then I want to write what is exciting to you. I roleplay for those moments that neither player had planned, that surprises and excites, that proves "Ah, we really were walking through this imaginary world together!"

Similarly, I don't have a preference for general settings. I'm comfortable writing sci-fi (hard or soft), fantasy (high and low), western, modern-day, horror, paranormal, or something in between. The only caveat to this is a setting that would require extensive research on my part. For example, I don't consider myself informed enough to role play a character in a historically accurate royal court of 17th century France, or a criminal in Victorian England, or anyone in modern day New Delhi for that matter. Medieval settings, or historical settings that don't necessarily depend on accuracy for your enjoyment are fine by me!

As I said above, I'm looking for a story driven by the actions of the characters and the changing world around them, but also by a goal or the natural pull of the story. Violent revenge plots have a natural progression towards the death of the object of your revenge, for example. A story of characters exploring a new continent a la Lewis and Clark might find it's natural conclusion at an ocean. A hero acts to defend a kingdom, or to defeat some great evil. This kind of direction is freeing to me because it comes with inherent limits and expectations we need not discuss.

My response times will vary based on several variables. I'd like to write a minimum of 2 to 3 paragraphs per post and hope you'll do the same. I know I'll write more when I feel like I can get away with it (If our characters aren't interacting, or if the scene merits detailed description, and I see that you, too, are interested in writing meatier responses). I can turn out two to three posts like this per week and can maintain interest in a role play as long as you respond at least once a week. I'll let you know if I anticipate responding less than twice in a week. For necessarily shorter posts (e.g. dialogue between our two characters), I can respond once a day or more.

I will generally only play male characters. If you would like a romantic subplot between our two characters I request that you roleplay a female character. Otherwise, I can play whatever character you need for me to play in the plot, and you can play whatever character interests you.

Below are three general plot ideas to inspire you. I hope you find that these plots leave room for your own creations and visions. Consider everything mutable.

Far From Home

The story begins with two kidnapped persons who are taken very far from their home. They could have been taken by slavers, kidnapped from the same family for ransom, or for a particular set of skills useful to their kidnappers or their kidnappers employer - what's important is that they've been taken to a land so far away that they don't know how they are going to return home. This plot is pretty versatile and straightforward I think. For example, as a medieval fantasy, the characters could have been kidnapped for rare magical powers to be used for some malicious purpose. In a low-fantasy setting the characters might be heirs to the throne of a dying monarch. In a sci-fi, the characters could be the last of their race, etc. It would be easy to surprise each other with ways that bring our characters closer to their goal, or with obstacles that delay their return - or worse!

Death Returns

Long ago, the members of a tribe became hosts to a terrible illness of the body and mind. For generations madness and agony have been kept in remission with the ritualistic consumption of a special tea. Now, a blight has spoiled the sacred crops, and not a single bush has made it to seed. The tribe is left with only two season's supply of the life-saving leaves. Legend tells of the ancient lands from whence the tribe came. It is known to children and elders alike as a country of hideous beasts, and unnatural forces. Two members of the tribe are chosen to return to the lands of legend in the desperate hope the tea bush still grows there and it's seeds can be sown in the tribe's fields once the blight has passed.

Maka and Ott

The planet Maka spins on its axis twice a year so that each orbit around it's star consists of a single day and a single night. Ott, Maka's giant glowing moon, orbits near Maka's equatorial plane.

Inhabitants of The Village have learned to count time, both during the day and night, by the more frequent passing of Ott than of their own sun. After nightfall the villagers spend much of their time sheltering themselves behind their great stone walls, graced periodically by Ott's lambent touch. But this year, two inauspicious events threaten The Village. During the long twilight, as their sun burrows into the horizon, an earthquake razes the walls of the village leaving it vulnerable to the predators of the shadows. And, for the first time in memory, Ott will pass exactly through Maka's equatorial plane eclipsed until the sun rises in half a year. The inhabitants must survive a cold, and dark night with no protection from the monsters around them. Who will see the sun rise again?

I hope to hear from you soon!

Back
Top Bottom