Challenge Submission Christmas Dream

Currently reading:
Challenge Submission Christmas Dream

angelicmadrigal

Resident RP Goddess of Burnout
Local time
Today 3:22 AM
Author's Note:
This story is connected to my May 2016 challenge entry, so for better understanding you may wish to read it here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And that's my final word on the matter!" Barezu's hand came down on the table hard, shaking the wine glasses and causing the liquid to vibrate enough that it spilled over the rim of the glass. "How could you even ask me something so stupid?" The older man grumbled as he cut into the roast on his place.

His wife reached over and touched his hand, her soft and calm voice ringing over her husband's clattering. "It is Christmas after all, don't you think it's normal for her to want to spend time with her family?"

"Woman, didn't you hear what I just said?" He shook his head, his long black hair waving as he did so. "Besides, do you think Mir would let her go if he was here?" He didn't even let her answer, it was a very rhetorical question. "Don't be stupid Selesse."

Selesse wrinkled her nose. It had been some time since he'd spoken to her like that, and it was not a welcome occurrence. "Now you listen to me 'Rezu. You either talk Syeira over to see them or I will invite them here." She stood clearing the empty plates from the table. He'd already ruined dinner with his temper tantrum, forcing Syeira to take all the children upstairs.

Barezu looked at his wife, a sharp expression in his pale blue eyes. "You invite that bitch into this house and I will kill her. Not to mention that idiot brother of theirs." He hadn't forgiven Syeira's sister Athalia for the shameful beatdown she'd given him nearly a decade ago and he certainly didn't trust Tas, that scheming brother of theirs.

Selesse sighed as she dumped the dishes into the sink with a loud clatter. If she broke a few, she didn't care at this point. "And if I take her over there myself?"

That was when he stood up and stalked over to Selesse grabbed her arm in one swift motion. "I shouldn't have to remind you why what I say goes, Selesse." While, he'd tempered his behavior over the years, sometimes she managed to push him right back into old habits.

Selesse reached down and pried his hand from her arm. "Finish eating at go to bed, Scrooge." She quipped, turning around to finish the dishes.

Satisfied, Barezu went back to the table to finish his dinner. How did he end up with the two troublesome women in his house? One he could blame himself for, the other…. circumstance had dropped in his lap. What he wouldn't have given to trade places with Mir right now. It didn't take long to finish his dinner and the rest of the wine. He didn't speak to his wife at all, save for a few grumbles as he left the kitchen and headed upstairs.

For her part; Selesse finished the dishes, placed one very important phone call, and then made her way upstairs to collect Syerira and her children. Moments later, they were all bundled up in the truck making their way to the encampment not far from the house. The snow was falling lightly as they drove down the road in complete silence.

As they pulled up to the RV, Syeira could see a huge fire in center of the encampment. Leave it to Tas to start a bonfire in the snow. She shook her head, looking at Selesse. It was dark, and she could see several figures around the bonfire.

Selesse parked the truck, walking Syeira, Alexi, and Alexandra over to the bonfire where Tas, Athalia, and a man with long, dark hair stood.

Once they got closer to the fire, Syeira stopped dead in her tracks. She scooped up Alexandra quickly, and grabbed Alexi's hand, pulling him slightly behind her. She'd recognize that man anywhere, it was Tamas…her ex-husband. What was he doing here?

******​

Syeira jolted up right in bed. Her heart pounded in her chest. Her hand reached for the light on the nightstand and flicked it on. Next to it was the folded letter from her brother begging to see her and the kids for Christmas. Dark eyes drifted to the clock 11:45 PM. With a sigh, she rose from the bed and headed downstairs to make herself some tea. It wouldn't be time to wake the children for Christmas for some time yet.

Her dream troubled her. Why Tamas of all people would show up in her dream was a mystery to her. Was she somehow missing him? If she was, why? He had been gone so long, in fact he'd left her days after their wedding. Then he'd called her to say he was never coming back. Why would she miss someone like that? She shook her head, trying to push the memories away as the kettle began to whistle. Syeira quickly removed it and set about steeping her tea leaves in the heated water. Her mind still wandering at least until the screen door slammed against the side of the house from a passing gust of wind.

She put her hand to her chest, trying to settle her wildly beating, startled heart. Someone must have forgotten to shut the screen door all the way. Syeira padded over to the large kitchen door, opening it, and seeing three small, decorated packages out on the porch that had been wedging the screen open. She picked them up, noting one was for her, one was for Alexi, and one was for Alexandra. Syeira looked around, but the snow blowing made it difficult to see. In fact, she totally missed the three pairs of gleaming eyes watching in the darkness before she shut the door. As rested her back against the door she looked down at the packages addressed to her and the children each one signed, – Athalia, Tas, and ……Tamas-.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom