Currently reading:
Challenge Submission Don't Bother None

47Haven

Tomboy Appreciator
Local time
Today 4:31 PM
Pronouns
Any
"Look at these unenlightened masses! Blindly swearing their allegiance to such a heinous cause while still being ignorant of the truth!" The black-winged woman with an eyepatch grandstanded on the railing.

"Geez, calm down 'senator'. Here, cool your head with this." The demonkin with the telltale pitch-black horn and tail threw a cool foreign-branded canned coffee towards the winged woman, which the other caught with a certain grace. "We're up here to avoid the march after all, so try not to bother with them too much." Here refers to the roof of the landmark tower's observatory, which was closed due to the ongoing government sanctioned protest march down below. What are they protesting? Purity culture, basically, and judging from the picket signs and the expression the marcher wore on their face, the nuance wasn't worth being addressed or discussed.

"How can you be calm, Vector? Considering what they're protesting against, I'd assume you'd be the first one to stand against them." And she was correct, for the march's goal was for the regulation against the demonkin continued presence within the city. Aurgen was a human dominated city after all, before 'the equalizer' dropped and relocated a swathe of other races onto the surrounding cities that would accept them. At first, the dwarves and the halflings didn't have too much problem, or more aptly put, didn't bring too much problem to Aurgen, and they assimilated rather quickly. Then friction started when the elves and the angelkin brought their high and mighty morals with them, but as they're still humanoid in form, and the religious kind is heavily biased towards the angelkin, they too assimilated over time. Problem really started to show when it comes to the lizardkin and the beastmen started rolling in, not quite helped by the conspiracy theories the humans had already believed. Then, the demonkin, being late to the party, seems to be the one that broke the human's patience, and hence the march to deny the trickle of demonkin refugees.

"Cause it doesn't matter, Raven. No matter what they do, the government ain't gonna legislate such a bigoted demand, or they'll have to answer to the 'International Network of Ethnic Peace and Tranquility' for it. Also, why would I be there in the first place? Have you seen them?" Vector lazily shrug as she dangled her legs on the railing, with her tail securing her from falling. "They're not here because of what they think. They're here for what they believed. I can talk their ears off and they'd probably still march over their fallen ears."

"Belief, eh? Funny how their myth really doesn't bode well with reality, yet they still clung onto them as if they stopped believing their world would crumble." Raven huffed as she floated gently before she sat next to the demonkin on the railing, both of their feet dangling freely. It was a leftover from the olden days, back when each species lived in complete seclusion from each other, before that invisible barrier was broken by the invention of internet and satellite. A mythology stemming from their ancestors' brief meeting with the other species that they consider alien, which over time became a legend of holy beings, saviors, and the damned. Most of the human society had already let those myths go, but Aurgen, being one of the city that the Church founded, clearly still carries that weight.

"Cut them some slack. They can't really help it that there's angels like you who'd just had that permanent hankering for chaos. At least they can point at your wings as justification."

"Oh, are you suggesting that I swoop in and cause chaos so that you, their horned heroine, can come by and prove a point?" A devilish smile decorated the angel's face as her charcoal wings spread behind her.

"Eh, would be funny, but no. Doubt they'll change their mind, and it might even contribute to their conspiracy mind that we're working together. If one of them is belligerent enough, I might actually get mobbed as well. Just let them be, their march would end sooner or later, anyway. Like I said, it's hard enough to change minds. It's quite another to change hearts." A long sigh escaped Vector's lips before she stifled it with her own can of coffee, which she drank in one go.

"Huh. Didn't know that you thought that low of them that they would stone their own savior."

"I'm sure most of them wouldn't. They don't hate me as a person, they hate what I stand for, which just so happens to be something that I'm born with, and when those collide, they'd probably just stand around awkwardly. But all it takes was for someone to throw the first stone before the other followed… Anyway, again, we're not here to talk about them, just ignore them and have fun." Vector leaned closer towards the other, letting their shoulder touched gingerly.

"I'm just worried for you, Vec." This time, it was Raven's turn to sigh as she massaged the coffee can within her cusp. "What if it actually went through, and you have to leave the city?"

"Then you'll have all the time to run rampant. 'Sides, if it ever comes to that, pretty sure I can still crash within your evil villain lair if they ever evict me." A grin crept up before an elbow followed the remark.

"Read the room. Never thought someone who had control of space would be so daft when it comes to reading the atmosphere." Raven pouted while cracking her can of coffee, sipping some of it, before cringing at the bitterness of it. "Oh christ, you know I can't handle black coffee."

"Can it. I had to travel across the globe to find it just for you." The demonkin gave a finger gun and a wink, which was replied with an audible groan from Raven.

"Did you really just picked this one just to make that dumb joke?"

"And it worked. Anyway, you gonna finish that? If not, I can drink it for you."

"…Am I correct in assuming that this is also the other reason why you bought me a coffee I can't drink? Specifically a foreign coffee that I wouldn't be able to read the label of so that I'd drink it first?"

"Maybe?"

"Jesus, why am I stuck with you…" Raven gave another groan as she handed the can to Vector, who gladly accepted it and drained it off any remaining coffee within.

"Mm, did you have some dumplings for lunch? Slight chives aftertaste-" Vector didn't get to finish her sentence though as Raven's wing covered her face and pushed her aside. "Aw, don't get mad. Like you said, I'm not that good at reading the room. What I'm good at is creating room, after all." A circular portal appeared behind the two of them, leading to some sort of fancy room, before the demonkin placed her hand on Raven's shoulder, and pulled her back, causing the two of them to fall backwards. Raven didn't even have time to exclaim anything before the two fell through the portal, and leaving the rooftop of the observatory silent once again.

Back
Top Bottom