Challenge Submission Fell asleep at work.

Currently reading:
Challenge Submission Fell asleep at work.

Vasara Glyndark

Monarch
Local time
Today 12:59 AM
Todd was never going to be the Employee of the Month or even considered a good employee. In ideal times he would have been fired years ago but employers were having a hard time finding employees so Todd got to stay.

Todd routinely left early, was late to work, or found somewhere to sleep. He went to his usual sleeping spot on this particular day to take a quick two-hour catnap. When he woke up he went back to work. He had been working for about an hour when he realized no one was around, no coworkers, no bosses, no customers. He found it odd, he was concerned. He went looking for someone. He found a newspaper and looked at it. "Apocalypse? 2028? How long was I asleep? I couldn't have slept for five years, could I? Is this an Inception type thing?" He looked around for a camera or someone jumping out to scare him. He saw nothing.

He turned on a tv but there was nothing but static. He went to the front door but it was locked. He went to all the other exits they were all locked, even the emergency exit which aren't meant to be locked. His stomach grumbled. He went looking for food. He went to the chips aisle. Every bag he opened was stale. He went to the canned goods aisle. She grabbed a can of Spam and began eating. "I should be high for this." He went to his secret stash at work and like the chips, it had gone bad. A series of curse words left his lips. He went upstairs to where all the officers were. Only management was allowed up there. He looked around for bolt cutters or something heavy to break the padlock on the loading door. He went room for room. Bob's office was the last he came to when he opened the door. He found Bob's partially decayed body slumped over in his chair with a gun still clasped in his hand. "Damn it, Bob. Why?" Todd looked around there were numerous bags of trash full of food trash and human waste. "Damn. Nothing." He looked over at the gun. "Sorry, Bob." He tentatively reached out for the gun. He checked it. "Just one bullet left. No way I can shoot the lock off with one bullet." Todd stuck the gun in his pants.

Todd saw several papers. He read about the apocalypse. One day suddenly people just disappeared leaving behind their clothes. Todd was reminded of those movies by what's his face who was the husband of that hottie from the sitcom Overflowing Condo. "Nah that shit can't be true. Bob definitely wouldn't have been left behind. He was the best person I knew."

Todd lived in that grocery store for over a year, trapped. Eventually, the loneliness got to Todd, it drove him insane he would often visit Bob just to talk. Bob even responded to him. One day Bob began telling Todd he needed to use it. Todd had no clue what Bob was talking about. Todd stopped talking to Bob. Then one day he saw the gun lying on a shelf near the canned meats. "Could that be the it Bob was talking about? Is Bob telling me to kill myself? That can't be right?" He took the gun back to Bob. "Is this what you mean?" Bob shook his head. "No way. I am not killing myself."

Days later Todd began to feel like he was not alone. He armed himself with a knife. That went on for weeks. Todd began hoarding food, water, and trash bags in one of the offices upstairs. The food ran out as the days turned into weeks and weeks into months. Todd could hear the things outside his office. Todd refused to give up and end it like Bob. He could feel himself wasting away. He knew one day he would fall asleep and never wake up.

Todd eventually fell asleep he woke up in a facility. His sister was there. When she realized he was awake she hugged him. "Todd thank God you're all right." Todd was, to say the least confused. "How did I get here? Where is here?" His sister explained everything. There was a tornado, it hit the store he was in an unused part of the store sleeping the building collapsed. He was the only survivor. "What about Bob?" His sister looked at him curiously. "You mean the nurse?" His sister then called Bob in. Todd was confused that was Bob his store manager. A doctor came in and explained that he took a very serious blow to the head, and you've been in a coma for six months. You might experience some issues with your memory. It should clear up in a few weeks." Todd found it hard to believe. He went home with his sister, he tried to acclimate to this life. It never felt real to him. The so-called coma dream felt real. He couldn't deal with the reality he woke up to. He turned to drugs, taking harder drugs as time passed. Eventually, he overdosed and died in a dirty disgusting alley.

Back
Top Bottom