Just a dream — October 2021 Co-Winner

Yhmera

Lok'Tar
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Yesterday 11:34 PM
Pronouns
Whatever you want to use
There had to be a way out. He didn't know how yet but the answer had to be there. Rayner had woken up around half an hour prior only to find himself somewhere he'd never been before and didn't recognize in the least. It appeared to be some kind of abandoned hospital. The bed smelled like mildew and had only a thin, stained sheet resting on top of it. The walls were cracked and covered with grime and mold from years of neglect. There was even a hole in the ceiling where buckets of water were falling as it continued to rain heavily outside. For all intents and purposes, this place was falling apart.

Unfortunately, all that aside the door felt as solid as could be. He hadn't been able to budge it even an inch. It was too dark in the halls on the other side of the door, so he couldn't be sure, but he thought something might have been in front of it blocking his access. If he could figure out how to move that, he'd be golden, but for now he was trying to find another way out.

The window was out of the question. A few bars remained, but most had been knocked out at some point. Despite that, the window itself was still far too small for Rayner to even consider squeezing through. He stood a good 6 foot 3 with broad shoulders. With the bars only being about an inch and a half apart, there was no way he'd even be able to squeeze his shoulders through, let alone the rest of him. That brought his attention back to the hole in the ceiling. He'd been trying to avoid that since he could tell it would be dangerous, but there might not be any other choice. Still with the water running down, what ever beams were up there were most likely rotted and wouldn't support his 215 pounds.

Someone had obviously brought him here, so chances were high nobody that could hear him would be on his side, but Rayner had still tried to call out for assistance. But he needed to get out of there. The pungent aroma made him sick to his stomach and he didn't like being caged like a rat. Especially in a death trap like this.

In one corner there was a dilapidated desk and chair. Testing the wood, one of the chair legs would be strong enough for a club. Picking the chair up by the back, he smashed it against the pealing wall until it broke into pieces. Grabbing the leg he gave it a few swings. "It'll have to do."

Deciding to give it one more shot before he used the bed to help hoist himself up through the ceiling, Rayner wandered back over to the door and pressed his face against the opening there. "Hey! Anyone out there?" He called, hand tightening on the club in his hand. He'd prefer help, but if an opponent came instead, he'd be ready for them. If nobody came, then the roof it was.

Drip…Drip…Drip…

A few cells down, Alix groaned as one eye slowly opened. "What's that smell?" He moaned rolling over onto his side and closing his eye once again. "Mike, Sarah... I think something is rotting." But as much as he wanted, he couldn't get back to sleep with that smell. Green eyes opened to see a huge rotting rat next to his face. "Holy..." He sat up and scooted back with an agility he wasn't usually capable of. "Where in the world am I?" Before he could fully contemplate that thought he heard a voice calling out from down the Hall. Standing up and dusting himself off Alex headed out the door that was standing wide open. The shambles of a building made him wonder what was going on. The place was in ruins, like it could fall down at any moment.

"Hello? He called back. Who's there?" He paused at a door that had long diagonal bars that kept it locked in place. Rayner hadn't been expecting this child to come when he called. the boy didn't look much older than 18, if that. Trying not to look so menacing, he bent his knees and dropped his head a hair. "Hey Kid." He replied. "Please, think you can open the door?" Alix took a step back, running a shaken hand through his mop of strawberry curls. "I don't know if I should." Golden eyes fixed on the thick rusted bars. He wasn't even sure that he could pull them back, even if he wanted too.

As he pondered the situation the sounds of metal scraping against metal rang out from the other end of the long dark hall. Fluorescent lights flickering out a fatalistic warning. As if letting them know their death was at hand. "Oh hell, what's that?" He breathed. Eye's widened in fear. Looking back to the locked door, Alix started to pull. The first bar gave with a mighty groan. "That's it kid, keep going. I'll keep watch."

Rayner stuck his head as far out as he could. Which wasn't much given the situation. But there was clearly something or someone else in the abandoned hospital with them. "Just a little more." The door seemed to vibrate as the bar scraped across it. "There is another bar." Alix said, looking up to the man in the room. "It won't budge." From the darkness something shattered as the sounds of more scraping could be heard. Slowly the sounds were growing closer. "Oh man..." The kid started to cry. "we're going to die." He doubled his efforts to force his will on the bar. Doing everything he could to make it move. Alix didn't want to be in the hall alone with what ever it was.

He cried out as two nails broke below the quick and started to bleed as his hands slipped. Alix went tumbling backwards onto the muck covered floor. Leaving him with the feeling of being slimed. "Come on kid, hurry." There was a new urgency in Rayner's voice. Between the flickers of fluorescent and a slender silhouette the starting to take shape. The scraping sounds of metal on metal didn't help either. Alix scrambled to his feet and pulled once more. The last bar cried out as it came free from the lock pin, allowing the door to open.

Rayner let out a breath of relief. With something clearly coming, he didn't want to be trapped in the room. The door opened with out any more resistance. The large bars made a better weapon then his half rotten wood. "Grab the other one." Rayner's voice was stern and commanding as he looked down to the kid. "Listen to me and we might make it out alive."

From one end of the hall it came into full view. long and thin, like someone stretched a shadow to form a sliver of a person. Hands slowly melding into rusted claws that sparked as they were drug along the ground. The two men turned, running the opposite direction. Only to come to a locked door at the other end of the hall. Emergency exit flashed in red over the door. A triple pain window sat in the center with a person behind it.

Dressed in a dark hazmat suit, the person just stood there. Simply watching Rayner and Alix pounding and screaming for help. "I'm going to beat you into a bloody pulp if I get out of this!" Rayner snarled. "Please..." Begged Alix. "I won't cause any more trouble at home. Please let me go home!" Still the person behind the door didn't budge. Only shifting to jot a few things down on a pad then watched some more. Then they double checked that the door was well secured and locked before turning to leave.

Realizing they weren't going to make it through the door. The two turned around the face the thing coming. It was all they could do at that point. Bracing for a fight they were sure to loose. Waiting for it to come to them. "Try to stay calm kid." Rayner did his best to muster up the calmest voice he could. "I'll attack first. You try and sneak around the back." The black distorted figure was there faster then they had wanted. Hell, they didn't want to be in that creep show of a place to start with.

As they planned, once the thing was in reach, they attacked. Rayner swinging for what looked to be the knees of the thing. Alix hugged the wall as he tried to move around back. Yet the shadowy thing didn't seem to be effected by what was going on. One of the massive claws swiped through the air. Rayner screamed out as 3 crimson lines formed across his face. As the other claw moved in the opposite direction, it was Alix's turn to scream. He was on the ground holding his leg They were about to die. They couldn't stop it, let alone slow it down. As the thing swung it's claws again, everything went black. Only the echos of screams remained.

"Alix... Alix" Rayner said shaking him lightly. "It's just a movie... wake up. You fell asleep during the slender man." Alix jumped as his eyes came open and looked around the empty theater. His soda and popcorn spilt on his lap. The janitor made a scraping sound as he swept the floors. Dragging the trashcan behind him. "Come on, lets get you home."

Back
Top Bottom