New Arrival in the Sanctum

Currently reading:
New Arrival in the Sanctum

Otterbird

Serf
Local time
Today 6:13 AM
New to the forums, not so much to RP. Albeit, there's a minor problem with that, something I've been trying to fix of late, and I'm hoping a new community can help it.

That being: I fell out of RP for a while and now I'm feeling exceptionally shy/self concious/worried to get back in it. What if my characters seem too edgy? What if everyone hates them? I get this thing where in retrospect I think every post of mine is stupid, so it's been hard for me to actually get into it like I used to. I'm hoping to ooze back out of that mindset somehow, perhaps the community here could help!

I love writing in story-heavy roleplays. Most of the time, when I was going strong, I kept the momentum going with plots, NPCs, and challenges for me and the others to get through, as standard 'bar RP' sure gets boring after a while. I enjoy flawed characters, usually not human because I find fantasy species more interesting to visualize, and flaws within a character make them feel more lively with the struggle they have to live through. This also makes their victories feel that much more satisfying and triumphant, and gives them room to grow and develop as a character.

I'm not 100% sure what to expect from this forum, but it was the highest rated site on the finder I was using, and seemed active. I appreciated the rules that I poked through, and it seems like there's a lot of different genres that seem available for use here, which also draws my attention. I'm hoping to find a spot in here I might be able to snuggle into and try my hand at some more interactive writing.

As for my post style, I'm somewhere between short and long posts; I don't like typing 40 paragraphs in one go, but I also feel inadequate if I post any fewer then two. Too much text, and it gets confusing to respond to; too little, and there's nothing to go off of. I always try and make sure there's something for other writers to work with in my posts, because I understand the frustration of 'flat posts' that just leave you hanging and wondering what you're supposed to do with it.

I did have one question, however. I'm artistic -- Would it be allowed to do occasional little doodles of the RP at hand, so long as they were hidden in a Spoiler in the post? I noticed the bandwidth being a concern as mentioned in the rules, but sometimes it helps me stay focused in forum RP to include little dumb drawings of the scenario at that present moment.

There's nothing to feel shy about, I'm fairly certain everyone sucked in the beginning but if you're so bent on it, just ask people for their honest opinion. But I'm sure you're just suffering from the impostor syndrome and it's not nearly as bad as you might view it. Also, pretty sure you can add your doodles to the rp.

Anyway, welcome to the sanctum!

Personally, I'd love a partner who likes to do little doodles of our RP, and I'm sure that I'm not alone on this (hopefully). Heck, even chibi-styled drawings would be so cute. I think people will love it, honestly - it shows that you're interested in spending time on little things for the RP, even if it's just a silly drawing. :p I don't see why it wouldn't be permitted.

And, of course, welcome to the Sanctum. :3

10/10 use of the tree star photo.

Welcome, and I'm sure you'll find this place to be full of supportive individuals who would love to see your work and who would be happy to help you get back in your groove. :) If you run into any questions, we staff members are here to help. Feel free to ask in chat or to pop one of us a private message. ^_^

New to the forums, not so much to RP. Albeit, there's a minor problem with that, something I've been trying to fix of late, and I'm hoping a new community can help it.

That being: I fell out of RP for a while and now I'm feeling exceptionally shy/self concious/worried to get back in it. What if my characters seem too edgy? What if everyone hates them? I get this thing where in retrospect I think every post of mine is stupid, so it's been hard for me to actually get into it like I used to. I'm hoping to ooze back out of that mindset somehow, perhaps the community here could help!

I love writing in story-heavy roleplays. Most of the time, when I was going strong, I kept the momentum going with plots, NPCs, and challenges for me and the others to get through, as standard 'bar RP' sure gets boring after a while. I enjoy flawed characters, usually not human because I find fantasy species more interesting to visualize, and flaws within a character make them feel more lively with the struggle they have to live through. This also makes their victories feel that much more satisfying and triumphant, and gives them room to grow and develop as a character.

I'm not 100% sure what to expect from this forum, but it was the highest rated site on the finder I was using, and seemed active. I appreciated the rules that I poked through, and it seems like there's a lot of different genres that seem available for use here, which also draws my attention. I'm hoping to find a spot in here I might be able to snuggle into and try my hand at some more interactive writing.

As for my post style, I'm somewhere between short and long posts; I don't like typing 40 paragraphs in one go, but I also feel inadequate if I post any fewer then two. Too much text, and it gets confusing to respond to; too little, and there's nothing to go off of. I always try and make sure there's something for other writers to work with in my posts, because I understand the frustration of 'flat posts' that just leave you hanging and wondering what you're supposed to do with it.

I did have one question, however. I'm artistic -- Would it be allowed to do occasional little doodles of the RP at hand, so long as they were hidden in a Spoiler in the post? I noticed the bandwidth being a concern as mentioned in the rules, but sometimes it helps me stay focused in forum RP to include little dumb drawings of the scenario at that present moment.
Welcome to the Sanctum! You sound like a really excellent RP partner - if you're not inundated with lots of requests,, please feel free to let me know; I'm in a rather similar position to you.

I'm rather late to the greeting, it seems, though I do wish you a very warm welcome, Ottobird, to the Inner Sanctum... May your muse sing sweetly for you on this day and many more to come!

Back
Top Bottom