Both Needed Out of Place, Out of Time (A World War II to a Fallout 4 like time period)

Currently reading:
Both Needed Out of Place, Out of Time (A World War II to a Fallout 4 like time period)

Blackstone

Duke
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 6:25 PM
Pronouns
He/Him
The Great War brought death upon a scale not seen to the world since the Black Death. Over forty million dead, military and civilian alike. The war ended when German realized even if they could win the war, their society might not survive. Peace was achieved, but a cost which Germany found hard to swallow, but again, they would loose everything if they did not at least stop fighting. In the end Germany complied with the Treaty of Versailles, and bid its time, plotting within a year to build up in secret and avenge itself against those who sought to humiliate it.

For the Allies the war was no less horrific, and near an entire generation of combat able men were gone. They were also not entirely stupid and knew perhaps Germany would not hold true. They could hope, but war has a way of turning even the most pragmatic optimists into cynics. For Great Britain and the United States this meant woman's suffrage and rights made huge gains. First was the right to vote, then came the right to join military service as equals of men. There were some conditions, and women could not serve in the Marine Corps, or in any form of ground infantry or mobile armored unit. They could serve in support roles, in the Navy, or in the Army Air Corps. There were less restrictions for service in the Navy, either in surface combat or naval aviation roles, allowing the chance for combat action. New dormitories were added to both West Point and Annapolis and in 1926, the first female officers who were not part of the Nurse Corps were sworn into service.

History would continue apace, and Germany with a new modern military, a dynamic leader promising retribution, invading Poland in 1939. Japan had started its Imperial designs far earlier, and unlike Europe, had no need for female conscription to its military. The United States, as a means of aiding Europe and pealing off a powerful ally to Germany, blocks all oil exports to Japan as a means to force them to the negotiation table. The effort backfires, and on 7 December, 1941, Pearl Harbor is attack by Japan, bringing the United States completely into the Second World War.

A bulk of military support heads over to Europe. It was understandable as there are secure air fields and billets and the means to deal with the greatest threat as determined by Allied forces, Germany. Things are not so easy for the Pacific given the sheer amount of distances involved, and what few assets the United States had were conquered by Japan. Morale among the Pacific Fleet is low despite the appointment of Chester Nimitz as the new theater commander. They need to draw out the Japanese Fleet and destroy their carriers. Events follow and with the Tokyo raid by Lieutenant Colonel James Doolittle forcing Japan' hand, their code of honor demanding a military response. The decisive battle of war is about to take place on a small island airfield called Midway.

In 1980 there was a film called Final Countdown in which the U.S.S. Nimitz traveled back in time to days before Pearl Harbor, putting all in the moral dilemma of do they let history play out or do they uphold their vows to the Constitution and bring fight to the Japanese.

The Last Ship was originally a novel turned into a successful TV series on TNT where a destroyer crew of the U.S.S. Nathan James was unknowingly sent on a classified mission to find a cure to a deadly pandemic. They return to the reality and horror of the death, and to find the United States, indeed the world in anarchy. The crew sails on with two missions, to bring the cure to the world and to restore the government of United States. This game combines elements of both the movie and the show and will mash it up with a Fallout 4 like setting.

Players in the Story will first be members of the U.S.S. Yorktown. In history, the Yorktown was badly damaged both at the battle of Coral Sea and Midway, and on they way back from being salvaged from the battle, was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine. In this game the Yorktown survived the battle with minimal damage, and when it is relieved from Midway, it and its task force gets caught up in a temporal storm which flings it two hundred and twenty-five years in the future. The world is like the setting in Fallout 4 where most advanced technology non-functional due to the EMP's from the nuclear war in 2057. Much technology more advanced than what was present in the 1940's does not work. The United States, indeed much of the world is in utter chaos and anarchy.

Enter the Yorktown and Task Force 51, freshly resupplied before their trip through storm, and instantly they become one of the most dominate military powers as a result. Their mission changes when they make contact with the world and find out the history. Their duty is clear, find what does represent legitimate democratic government and to restore the United States. Of course, super mutants, the Brotherhood of Steel, and the Institute would have something to say about it.

As the game moves from the opening which is the Battle of Midway, additional characters will be opened up. The alternative history above is such there would be a valid reason to have female characters on a U.S. Navy combat ship. I know this concept is perhaps a bit more out there than normal, but I think the story there which made The Last Ship and Fallout 4 good are there to make a good roleplay out of it.

You had me at Fallout 4. The history lesson was kind of cool, they never taught me in school that the US blocked all oil exports to Japan.

Never heard of Final Countdown. I wonder if that is on a streaming service. Gotta look that up.

I saw some of The Last Ship but I lost interest in it when it started getting political and they killed off that female doctor. You also might want to incorporate another show (/novel?). I forget the name right now I will look it up. When I find the name I'll post a link to it.

You had me at Fallout 4. The history lesson was kind of cool, they never taught me in school that the US blocked all oil exports to Japan.

Never heard of Final Countdown. I wonder if that is on a streaming service. Gotta look that up.

I saw some of The Last Ship but I lost interest in it when it started getting political and they killed off that female doctor. You also might want to incorporate another show (/novel?). I forget the name right now I will look it up. When I find the name I'll post a link to it.
Only using the Last Ship as the concept of a group of professional sailors who walked into an apocalypse and then squared their shoulders and did their duty. Not trying to incorporate the show at all, merely the tropes in it which I thought were compelling.

Yes, as Marines handled security so there would be a contingent of Marines not only on the Yorktown, but other ships in the task force.

Would definitely be interested in joining if there is still room and if it is going ahead.

Back
Top Bottom