Staff member
Herald
Inner Sanctum Nobility
♔ Champion ♔
Local time
Today 3:04 AM
Pronouns
he/him
Pie was late. He wiped his green brow as he hurried through the unfamiliar halls. Pages and stewards occasionally looked up in surprise, but when they saw who was approaching they ushered him forward. The latest in that line spun him almost full circle changing his trajectory to shoot him down a side hallway. The time spend on the circular motion was spent growling in the goblins big ear.

"You're late! She's waiting! She can't enter until you are in place! Get going!" The stern faced elven steward shot him a disapproving stare as they hurried about their own business. There was a ball you see, and it was happening right this very moment. Here behind the scenes food and drink were being prepared, tested and sent out to placate the restless crowd. A crowd of nobles, lords and ladies of the land, even visiting foreign dignitaries and royalty. It should have already been in full swing, but it had reached a point where it all hinged on one moment. A moment currently being stalled by the absence of one vary tardy goblin.

Pie dashed forward, finally recognizing some of the hallways he had been shown the previous day during the rehearsal. Finally! He was almost there! He rounded a corner and two burly guards stepped forward to block his path, ceremoniously blocking the way with their gleaming golden halberds. Pie skidded to an abrupt halt.

"Hi there! I'm sooo sorry, but I'm running late and they are waiting on me in there and maybe you could just let me pass? My name is Pie and they-"

Pies feet left the ground as he was hauled up off the ground. Without pausing the figure carrying him marched directly towards those gleaming weapons blocking their path and for the briefest moment pPie thought they wern't going to move out of the way. Sn instant later however they wee pivoting back to their posts on the side of the hall, and Pie and his new means of transportation were rushing through.

Pie looked up to see who had grabbed hold of him, and grinned when he saw the underside of a silver scaled draconic jaw looming above him. "Kirek! Thank you! I didn't think those guys were going to-"

Without looking down or pausing the dragonborn growled low in his throat. "You're late! Everything is waiting on you! Where have you been!?"

Pie sheepishly grinned as his feet dangled in the open air and the dragonborn Chief steward carried him forward past several more such checkpoints. "Well, I was out in the garden and they told me to make myself scarce so I started looking at some of the butterfly there but then this cute statue started talking to me and no one had cleaned her up in quite some time so while I was scrubbing off all the - "

The dragonborn shook him to silence the inevitably long string of the distractions that had lured the goblin away from where he should have been quietly waiting. They rounded a final corner and past this checkpoint there was a throng of servants handmaidens and officials. They both groaned in irritation and signed in relief as the chief steward set a purposeful course through their midst, never once letting the little goblins feet touch ground.

"I can walk, i know where we are now-" Pie started but was shaken again for his efforts.

"You will not. I will not allow those curious feet of yours even one step to wander away for your overdue duty. SHE is waiting on you. They are ALL waiting on you. She wants to impress everyone and it was your DAMN idea!"

Pie shrunk from the words but his smile didn't falter. "I'm super sorry, I'll get right to it and I'll do a good -" He didn't finish. Kirek stalked forward toward an elven woman with long platinum hair. Her dress shimmered as if made from sparkling moon dust, with veils and frills of all kinds making it a feast for the eyes with every movement. The bell of her dress flared widely, particularly in the trussell behind her.

"You majesty." Kirek said reverently as he handed the goblin somewhat roughly to one of the many waiting handmaidens. "Everyone out! Her majesty's dress will be opened now! You may begin the procession!" Those waiting all moved forward toward another room, one that directly connected to the large grand ballroom prepared for the event. The doors to that room were closed when only Pie and the multitude of handmaidens were left in the room.

Trumpets blared and they could hear through the walls and the door, an magically enhanced herald announced the patrons of note as they entered the ballroom one by one or in pairs. His attention was quickly drawn back to the queen who smiled at him, with no sign of the sense of urgency any of the attendants were showing.

The queen smiled at him, and dipped her head in greeting. THe giant headpiece that had her hair directly woven into it dipped with her head. "Good Morning Dear Pie. Thank you for helping me with this." Pie waved but was not allowed any freedom of movement and was whisked behind her immediately. A team of maidens worked several straps to begin opening the back of the queen's dress. As they pulled an opening appeared and within was a framework that contained a small chair, a set of pedals and some mechanisms that wound up behind her back.

He was dropped into the seat, apparently no one wanted to let his feet even think about reaching the ground. He settled into the little chair. He buckled some very unnecessary straps as the curtain like opening was closed. Pie was thankful for the near darkness as the queens form underneath the artificially enlarged section of her dress had forgone petticoats to prevent her from overheating and her dress wasn't the only moon he'd now seen today. The comfort of the darkness allowed him to forget about the tantalizing flesh in front of him and focus on what needed to be done.

That of course, was operating this contraption. In official events like this the room was warded against enchantments for the safety of the queen and visiting dignitaries and the nobility. The queen however wanted to do something to impress her guests. They had met in a chance meeting with the little lost goblin who was climbing walls looking for his friend who was a fuzzy buzzy that had gotten loose. Thankfully she hadn't been mad and after some brief antic chasing the fuzzy fey bee around they had talked for a bit in the garden, lying on the grass and watching the clouds go by. She mentioned her dilemma and her advisors and stewards suggestions on how to impress without the ability to enchant anything. Tradition dedicated she wear a massive headpiece and she was tired of everyone commenting on the outdated tradition, but fearful of breaking it for how it might be taken by the conservatives who abhorred change in any form. As they watched the clouds swirl and dance in the sky above them an idea formed and they talked about having a moving portion in her headpiece.

After involving some of the stewards and a builder or two, the idea took shape. Someone small would need to ride in her dress behind her, working some pedals to turn a display that would be made to spin about in her headpiece. This would satisfy the traditionalists, but give the others something to appreciate about the usually boorish old headgear. They attempted to have a child operate the mechanic, but they lost interest quickly and the doe eyed queen had soon had the goblin fetched from the inn he was staying at and encouraged him to help her with the idea he had helped shape.

The seat he was in was suspended off her back, and the sound of swishing cloth signaled that she had started moving. When the doors to the ante-chamber opened he heard the noise of talking of those around them rie in volume. A voice from outside the dress filtered through the many layers of the cloth.

"Begin pedaling. The queen will be announced in just a moment."

Pie began his pedaling, the gears were designed to allow minimal effort to work the mechanism, so he only had to very casually keep the pedals slowly turning. A second backup set of pedals was available for his hands so he could switch and let his legs rest while he worked his arms. He hoped that wouldn't be needed but this was very important to the queen and he didn't want to let her down in any way.

With a deep breath, he started pedaling.

Trumpets blared. The queen was announced, it was in elvish, and even though Pie understood the words her name was so complicated he couldn't quite remember it. She had insisted he call her Vee when they met. He didn't think he heard that anywhere in her full name but that didn't bother him. Pet names were fun! Plus he licked being called "Dearest Pie."

In the darkness he felt the queen moving around, heard her muffled voice and the even more muffled voices of those talking to her and around her. He could occasionally make out snippets of conversation. People marveled at the seemingly dancing figures in her headpiece, that alone was a recurring topic of conversation. The queen sounded happy, her dreaded headpiece suddenly the focus of attention in a good way.

Pie continued pedaling his feet working slow circles to keep the figures moving. If he went to fast they he could feel the mechanisms resistance so he found a comfortable pace and continued.

She met with nobles and dignitaries. Their conversation centered around polite matters of public relations, official visits, and cross country gossip. The earl of Tesh had a new lover, the City guard was resisting some of the changes passed down by the magisters, the Lady Gilbreth was struggling to maintain her husbands business after his death. The conversations went on and on.

And still he pedaled. His feet were growing tired, but he couldn't stop.

The queen spoke with the more common folk, the merchants and heard their concerns about trade policies and how it affected the traders and their routes. The conversation was exceedingly boring and Pie found himself struggling to stay awake in the darkness.

He switched to the hand pedals to give his tired legs a break, but found those were very difficult on his arms and he gave up on that after only a few minutes. He found it easier to push his tired legs further.

Trumpets sounded again and the meal was announced. He heard someone order the curtains closed, and a few moments later the curtains side of the dress was opened and light bathed him, and the queens pale near bare skin again briefly. Pie tried not to look as a pastry was handed to him.

"The queen will dine. Keep pedaling! It is important that the display continues unabated throughout the meal." The folds were closed and darkness returned. Pie nibbled on the pasty as he continued pedaling despite his now sore muscles.

All around him the best food in the land was enjoyed, rare drinks, powerful people making important conversation. Dragonborn and elves, and many other wonderfully mystical races were out there.

And Pie pedaled in the dark. He was sweating now, hot and tired, and hoping this would soon end. It seemed like the dinner went on forever and he was really struggling to keep up. He was reeling and he could feel moments where he was about to falter.

The queen was moving again, conversation melting into a background of hot sweating pedaling.
At long last there was an announcement for everyone to leave the room as the gown was about ot open. Pie felt his legs give out. He couldn't pedal any longer. He hoped they were done because he couldn't go any longer. Maidservants opened the gown and this time he didn't have to avoid his gaze, he was too exhausted to look, or undo the buckles tying him to the chair.

He was lifted out, and set down on a couch where a cool breeze from a font passed cool air over them. The queen dropped in next to him, still dressed in very little, but they were both too tired to care.

"Thank you dearest Pie. Your idea was a wonderful and a huge hit! I'm sorry you spent the entirety of a wonderful even next to my bottom working your little legs into jelly." Pie grinned, and blushed a little as she planted a kiss on his forehead before they both leaned back and let an exhausted rest settle over both of them.

Back
Top Bottom