All Possible Story needs writing partner(s)

Currently reading:
All Possible Story needs writing partner(s)

Lorril

Baron
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 5:27 PM
Pronouns
he/him
This thread is a follow up to my introductory thread of October 19th. I've been doing doing some thinking and have an idea for a story that I would like to bounce off of at least one and possibly many of you. The genre would be "low fantasy with a twist", that is, a mundane and magical reality interacting, but rather than the usual "one world, two realities" approach (as you might get, for example, in Perdido Street Station by China Miéville; or in Harry Potter for that matter) I am thinking of two worlds (planets? universes? not sure) colliding (a world of technology and a world of magic) and a few people being able to cross from one to the other. Piers Anthony did something like this in his Blue Adept trilogy; see also Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever series by Stephen R. Donaldson.

The basic plot sounds a bit like this: Hero in technology world discovers he can cross over into magical world and uncovers plot to destroy magical world somehow to the benefit of the technology world (which is dying? greedy? something). Decides to save magical world with the help of others.

Interesting questions:

Does technology work in the magical world and vice versa? Is technology transformed into magic with the crossover and what does that look like? and vice versa? Or is the key discovery that sets things in motion that magic and technology enhance each other somehow, and there is a race on between the worlds to gain the advantage?

What about the leadership in the magical world: corrupt and collaborating? heroic and resisting? totally unaware? mounting a competing bid to take over technological world somehow?

Who might other characters be?

I am envisioning this as an adventure/quest structure for a very few, but my mind can be changed.

Any takers for a conversation to see where this might go?

Back
Top Bottom