Currently reading:
The Clownfish

KateLocked

Baron
Local time
Today 7:34 AM
"That's sweet."
"...yessir... Shelby, the littler one- caught herself a Tilapia somehow."
Tom smiled. "Maria didn't mind you being away?" The deputy removed his broad, brown hat and fanned himself with it. It was Summer, and without A.C., the squad car was feeling unforgiving.
"Maria's thirty years my junior. She welcomed the reprieve, I expect."
"Come on, now."
The aging sheriff took a bite of his sandwich. "Naw, that's how it is. I take care of her and she brightens my golden years. I like to think it's a... y'know... symbiotic relationship."
Tom lifted a finger. "Sure. Like the clownfish and the sea anemone."
Ted sat up. "I am surprised how quickly you've provided such an apt example."
"Well, I paid good attention in biology class... had a crush on the teacher."
Ted smirked. "Tell me about the clownfish."

"Well, if memory serves- the clownfish eats little creatures that harm the sea anemone. He makes a high-pitched sound that scares off predators. Oh, and ah, his... fecal matter... provides her with nutrients."
Ted scratched his ear. "So what does the sea anemone do for him?"
"Oh, well she stings predators. Actually, she stings him, too, but he's immune" Tom explained.
"It sounds like the clownfish is doing a lot more for the sea anemone than is reciprocated."
Tom nodded.
Ted removed his hat now, revealing his bald patch. "I just hope she appreciates it."
"...Still talking about sea creatures, Sheriff?"

Ted's glistening eyes scanned the stretch of highway up ahead. The harsh sun was reflecting off the asphalt, evidently the cause of beads of sweat trickling down his reddening forehead. "What time is it, Deputy?"
Tom checked his watch. "Noon."
"It's right about now on Mondays that I clean my gun, typically?"
Tom shrugged. "I guess so, yeah."
"Well, it's time, then." Tom pulled his gun from his holster. "Tom, If my gun accidentally went off-" he pointed it at the deputy, determined. Tom kept still. Ted continued.
"I'd be up for manslaughter, worst case. Best case, I get to retire early." He cocked the gun. "It's been real good knowing you, Tom. I'm sorry." Ted shifted. "I suppose it's traditional to let you say a few words."

Tom... snickered.
Ted deflated. "I fail to see the humor..."
"I'm sorry- it's just the darnedest thing."
"What is?"
Tom pointed to the sandwich. "Maria- baked that bread with peanut flour."
"And my EpiPen..."
"Yeah, I left it in your locker... It's just funny, both of us planning this for the same time."
"Well... I don't like the thought of leaving her alone altogether." He lowered the pistol, frowning. "Throat's feeling scratchy, come to mention it."
"Sorry, Ted. I know it's a bad way to go."
"Naw, it's alright, Tom. You know- just realized something."
"What's that, Sheriff?"
"Maria's the clownfish." He unbuttoned his shirt collar to make room for his swelling throat. "And I'm just a predator." He smiled over at Tom. "I think she found herself a sea anemone."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom