Challenge Submission The Devil's Nest

Currently reading:
Challenge Submission The Devil's Nest

Seraph Darkfire

King of the Underworld
Local time
Today 6:36 AM
{Avalim}

This is the Devil's Nest {Avalim} a medium to large sized Devil's Nest consisting of several themed areas. Many believe that the Devil's Nest begins with the forest that one can see simply by approaching it. However, this is not true. The true beginning of this Devil's Nest is actually the several mile wide plains that surrounds the forest.

Here, you will find a variety of monsters, from Slimes, to canines and felines, occasionally even an insectoid Monster will appear in this area. This area is commonly considered the Newbie Zone. Monsters from level One to Ten generally appear here, growing stronger as one approaches the Forest in the center.

Occasionally appearing within the Plains are Graveyards, believed to have been appropriated by the Nest's [Core]. These areas are deeply filled with the aura of death and will often spawn the Undead, or even have the recently dead come back to life as Undead.

As one passes the Plains, they come into the Forest. Plant type Monsters are more common here, as are more reptilian and tree dwelling mammals. Insectoid monsters are far more common here, though many of them are low level and often not aggressive unless one enters their territories.

Occasionally, as one gets deeper into the Forest, one will find an miniature Dungeon, generally a Crypt of some sort. Undead and stalker type Monsters dwell here. The risk is great, and the reward is equal that as the crypts often have chests and dropped loot. Beware of Mimics and Cursed Objects, one wrong move, and you are their food.

Within the forest there are the occasional Lake or River, both containing various Aquatic Monsters and Amphibian alike. It has been sighted near a random Lake, which is a different location every time, a house of strange energy. It has been confirmed that Fiends are born here. Those Monsters of Demonic origin all seem to come from this house. It is ill advised to enter the house at any time. Possible Succubi Mental Magic has been reported.

Further into the forest is a surprisingly empty area, no trees, just grass. Here is the only (Safe Zone) a special area where Monsters will not enter and harm enemy entities. Many Adventurers use this time to heal and rest, even set up camp for the night.

Past the (Safe Zone) is even stranger. While the trees have returned, there are now villages of various sizes, all decently spaced apart. Here the more Bipedal Monster species live in a community. Goblins, Kobolds, Orcs and Ogres are very common here. With proper preparation, a small group of elites can take the various villages.

At the very center of the Devil's Nest is a Church, though not one of any specific design made by any other sentient beings. This church is the home of a wide variety of monsters. Entering the Church will allow one to explore, dealing with Undead, Insects, Spirits, Bipedal Monsters. Inside the Church, one will find stairs leading deeper into the depths of the building. Four layers, each containing one Sub-Boss. On the fifth layer, there is the Devil's Nest's Boss.

This is a strange creature. It looks human aside from the large reptilian tail that extends from it's backside and it's retractable, yet very sharp, fingernails. It is very intelligent and in combat possesses and extremely aggressive and predatory nature. Entering into life or death combat with this Monster is not advised.

This Monster however is not normally aggressive and will often entertain guests. Any attempt to approach the large crystal [Core] at the back of the room is met with hostility. Otherwise, conversation and deals are quite common with this Monster. The nearby Kingdom of Alvaria have negotiated the use of {Avalim} to train Adventurers.

In exchange, the [Core] is not attacked and every month the Devil's Nest is provided with various items and materials. Though the Devil's Nest can create structures and items out of mana, it is more economical to reuse destroyed or otherwise useless materials.

Monsters within {Avalim} will not actively seek to kill Adventurers unless they are attacked, have their territories invaded, or otherwise incited into violence. Predatory species however will hunt down adventurers. When asked about this, the Boss claimed that it is perfect training for being hunted. If you are always able to predict the opponent's behavior, you'll become complacent.

Every six months or so begins a new cycle of birth for Monsters within the Devil's Nest. Such an event is avoided by adventurers for a period of one month.

This event happens now.

You find yourself suddenly aware of your own existence. Information about your species has suddenly flooded your mind, giving birth to your loyalty towards the Devil's Nest and to the Boss. Perhaps you are among those of your kind, perhaps you are a solitary Monster. Whichever it is, you are now aware and sentient.

Taking a moment to comprehend your own existence, you become aware that at the moment you have nothing to do. There are no enemies within the Nest and as you have just been born, you have no territory. That is what you should do, you should find yourself a place to call your own. As you move about, you see/feel other newborn Monsters going about their business, probably doing the same as you.

You can feel them, just there, at the edge of your mind. They are friendly and you can communicate with them via the mental connection all Monsters within a Nest share. Some of them are quite simple, some are much more intelligent than even yourself.

Once you find your territory, you instinctively know how to claim it. A screen appears before you. You are strangely aware that even creatures such as Slimes can see this screen.

Alert!

This land is unclaimed by any Monster. Would you like to claim it for yourself?

[Yes] [No]

The screen gives you a slight startle, but the knowledge of what it is and what it is for streams through your mind and you select [Yes]. Then you feel it, Mana from deep within the Nest fills your being before expanding out in a quick radius. You are aware that it is exactly fifteen hundred feet in any direction and you are at it's center.

After a moment, another screen appears before your eyes.

Alert!

Thank you for claiming this land. This land is now yours. No other monster will hunt in your territory, though they may visit.

Now acquiring details on your species.

One moment....

Details acquired.

Territory being altered to suit your needs.

You watch/feel as the land around you is altered. For every Monster, this process varies based on its needs and desires. Undead often get graveyards or crypts, insects get forested areas connected to the main forest, Slimes even get burrows where they can rest.

While you are waiting for the land to be changed, you observe a few other things, such as your Status Screen. This details everything about you and at the corner of your eyesight, you see a small radar. You are aware that this will only tell you if an enemy has entered your territory as well as their general direction. Friendlies would show up as green, enemies as red, and unknowns as yellows, a simple enough system.

Should there be an enemy, it is up to you to find them and deal with them in whatever manner you see fit.

As the land finishes changing, a new screen appears before you once more.

Alert!

Land alteration complete.

Please enjoy your existence.

Immediately afterwards, another screen appears before you. Though this one is different from the usual [System] screen. It glowed with a deep red color, a soft voice emanating from every word directly into your mind.

Hello.

I do always enjoy watching as the new Monsters settle in. There is some small sense of enjoyment, as if I am watching my children begin to walk.

Anyway, welcome to existence, as you are probably aware, I am {Avalim}. I am your home and your Parent. Please, no groveling, I am happy to see you as my children, not my subjects.

You should have no fear of permanently dying. I can easily resurrect you as long as you are within the boundaries of my (Area). Your job is simply to defend your territory. Due to the intelligence of the [Dungeon Master] Imen, we have established a correspondence with those who would otherwise attempt to destroy me. Should any of them enter your territory or attack you, you are free to respond in kind.

I also encourage interaction among the various Monsters here, to facilitate your growth in both strength and intelligence.

At the moment, you have a month of time to adjust and explore beyond your territory. Afterwards, those known as Adventurers will arrive to explore.

I wish you all the best and in the future, please do look forwards to my messages. Some may include information on interaction with other dungeons, or even naming procedures.

For those who require host bodies, I have provided a basic host for you. It is weak, I apologize, but it is the best I can acquire for you who have just been born.

Struggle and Grow my little ones.

You feel a strange sense of warmth as you read this newest message, as if this entity cares deeply about you. At the moment, you have nothing to do, so you decide to explore your territory and ensure that everything is as it should be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom