Closed The New World

Angel of Mercy

Angel of Mercy
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 6:12 PM
The New World
(Medieval Fantasy)

Be warned, I don't usually participate or run group games as I find they are difficult to keep going and keep active, but I've decided to see if there would be interest in this idea anyway.

The Free Kingdoms has seen peace and prosperity now for several decades. The last wars had devastated the lands and the people, but now it seemed as though all that was to be left in the past, and everyone looked to the future, and for many, the future lay across the vast sea.

Explorers have discovered the new world and has left a few small outposts on the coast while the ships returned with the news, and to collect colonists to come and reap the rewards of these newly discovered lands. The Kingdom has gathered a fleet of vessels and put out a call to any who wished to travel to the New World, to lay claim to the resource rich lands.

But the journey across the sea is a long and perilous one, and of the twenty-two ships that leave, only 6 reach the shores of the new world, the others lost in storms or perhaps they simply lost their way in the thick fogs that seemed to last for days on end. As the survivors make landfall and reach one of the small outposts what will they find? What supplies were lost on the journey and what the future might hold for them, in this New World.

Additional Notes: So I'm looking for a few characters to join up and help explore the area of The Outpost. I'm hoping to avoid overly powerful characters, so no archmages, high priestesses and powerful knights of the realm. Instead, I'm looking for tradesmen, apprentices (magic users) sent by their masters, acolytes (clerics) sent by the church to administer the flock, a young druid looking to discover new plants and animals, explorers, a squire looking to make a name for himself, simple guardsmen, carpenters, farmers, woodcutters, etc...

If this would be of interest, let me know here. Once we have a few players willing to discuss we can create an OOC thread to discuss specifics like character races, and what exactly looms in the New World, evil elves, orcs? Perhaps great wars took place here centuries or millennia before and those who had lived and fought have become extinct. What legacy or dark, evil forces did they leave behind? All open for discussion.

The Discussion Thread for this game can be found by following this link: https://writerssanctum.com/threads/the-new-world-discussion-thread.34443/page-2#post-1046796

Last edited:
Mephisto says you are amazing, and honestly I've been toying with the notion of looking for a group RP - so this seems like a golden opportunity! I'm interested. The idea of playing a "1st level character" also appeals to me. Can I claim the squire?

That's very kind of Mephisto to say that, I guess I'll have to add him to my Christmas card list!!!

You're absolutely correct in the 1st level character analogy. Its gives characters lots of opportunities to grow. And you can certainly claim the squire if you like.

That's a big scary challenge! But if anyone can pull it off, I think it's you :)

I think one big thing to solve is, who controls the environment, the things each player finds in the new world, and any dangers or natives they might encounter? Is it up to each player to build part of the world and create challenges for others, or will there be admins who only focus on world building? (Like a DM)

By the way, I'm interested! And also curious how it turns out.

That's a big scary challenge! But if anyone can pull it off, I think it's you :)
Thanks sweetie! 🥰😘

I think one big thing to solve is, who controls the environment, the things each player finds in the new world, and any dangers or natives they might encounter? Is it up to each player to build part of the world and create challenges for others, or will there be admins who only focus on world building? (Like a DM)
I would likely play the role of DM in this endeavor, in addition to probably playing a character of my own. ☺️ As far as world building goes, I'm open to suggestions and ideas from anyone on what they would like to see. Personally I like the idea that on the known world we have only humans (and maybe dwarves and/or halflings). Several kingdoms which have warred in the past but a prosperous peace has been the word of the day for many decades now, and with the discovery of a new world that prosperity promises to grow even more. Of course if all kingdoms have sent outposts and explorers, regardless of the great peace back home, conflict could ensure. Plus I thought it might be fun to play out a first encounter with a race of elves, and orcs and other humanoid races. Plus I love the visuals of these new explorers wandering into a a clearing and finding ruins from an ancient civilization previously undiscovered. What if the evil that brought down that civilizations still dwells in the land, but has been dormant now for centuries, and is waiting for people to return. Lots of possibilities.

By the way, I'm interested! And also curious how it turns out.
Glad to hear it! 🙂

It could just be the fact that this thread has the words "New World" in it, but every time I come back here, I just get Monster Hunter: New World vibes. Of course, I don't imagine my character toting around a sword the size of a barn door any time soon, but I loved the sense of discovery in the game, along with the underlying charter of cataloging strange creatures.

I think first encounters with races that are common in other settings breathes mystery back into them. One of the things that I have learned from the Eberron setting in D&D is to test your assumptions about what you think you know! (See: Aereni elves, Talenta halflings, Xendric giants)

Discovery would be a big part of it, for sure, but my initial take is more about the lives of early colonists and the struggles inherent. So like the first 'chapter' of the story would be their arrival, and setting up whatever 'home/role/business' they will see themselves as occupying/fulfilling, while possibly hearing rumours or experience certain environmental situations they might not be familiar or, or possibly a discovery of an old set of ruins. Also in this chapter the characters would meet and possibly form friendships and such.

Then, a 'second chapter' would involve some kind of event that would lead to encounter/adventure or whatever the case may be.

I love the idea of adding mystery to the magical elements, which would make them feel more magical. Like a monster who's roar turns day into night for it's duration, or jellyfish type creatures which temporarily transport you into another world. Or a mushroom forest which makes time slow down.

What if each player is responsible for building one race or species? Like someone can write all about a dwarf-like race and what happens when the explorers encounter them. Then someone else is in charge of the orcs or elves. They'd be free to reimagine their race however they like or even create an original race.

And then Mercy can write about the land itself, and world events like the weather, or a wyvern flock passing through, or one night when hundreds of magical sea turtles come to shore to lay their eggs.

I think I would avoid going all out magical, I prefer to keep it heroic fantasy over high fantasy, though creating monsters and/or specific races or species of elves and orcs and such would absolutely work. Players who want to help create are more than welcome, with the caveat that it would be on the lower magical scale, kind of like Tolkien's Middle-Earth, plenty of fantasy elements but not necessarily a lot of magic.

~They don't know howwww old I am, they found armour in my belly~
~From the 16th centuryyyy.... Conquistador, I think~

I'm interested, but it's going to be hard not to imagine (Caribbean) Indians around every corner.

But it would be very interesting to encounter a new race altogether, intentionally deviating from all the old tropes like you said. Even finding a way to communicate with them would be a campaign in itself... and trying not to provoke an all out war through some misunderstanding (or more likely the careless actions of others in the expedition -- the Free Kingdoms aren't sending their best, after all).

Another challenge is how will the continuity work when people post at various times, and sometimes go inactive. Like if 3 people are involved in a scene and one of them replies much less than the other two, they'd have a lot of catching up to do every time. Should there be a limit that everyone can only post once per day per character?

Also how will we keep up with all the different people doing different things in different places? Maybe all player characters try to stay together, like a D&D party? That way it's easier to include everyone and we don't end up with a bunch of 1x1 scenes.

I think those are the two major problems I've seen with every group RP I've tried on Discord so far, though I don't know how it's done on this site. Here I'm imagining it more like a turn based game where every real life day is one turn, instead of time constantly moving forward at a set rate.

Interesting ideas! I'm worried that I'd get NPC'd a lot if I can only have time to post once per day. Let's see what Mercy says.

Back
Top Bottom