Currently reading:
Woman in White — December 2022 Challenge Co-Winner

MaliceInWonderland

How fine you look when dressed in Rage
Local time
Today 3:27 AM
Pronouns
they/them
There was no way for Fionn to know how long he struggled to make his way through the blizzard.

He honestly had no idea or understanding of why he had left his car to begin with. One minute he was content, even anxiously excited, about driving down a winding icy road to get to his midnight rendezvous.

The destination was in fact, the home of his mistress. The affair had begun close to six months ago, shortly after the discovery that his wife was pregnant. He loved his wife and all, and he had told her he wanted children, but Fionn found there was a difference between wanting and then suddenly having. He was now tied down to another human life for at least 18 years, and even if he didn't stay around his money would have to.

The man knew he could be whittled down to a mere stereotype of a stereotype. Cheating on his pregnant wife with not only a coworker, but his secretary. But just like his side piece, his side life was far more exciting.

These were the thoughts that had floated through his head like the flurries out the window before everything got bad, and quickly. The visibility was so low all he could do was blindly drive with his hazard lights on and hope he was moving at the proper speed limit so he didn't collide into the car before him.

But it wasn't another vehicle that suddenly appeared in front of his car… it was a woman.

She stumbled into the road, waving to try and get his attention before falling out of view. Her dark eyes were large and like that of a terrified deer.

The strangest part of all of this, is that even in the mere seconds the man saw her before violently having to veer his car to dodge… was that Fionn somehow could somehow tell that she was a breathtaking beauty.

A woman in a white dress, white as the snow that held them trapped in its icy clutches. Long hair as black as coal, and perfect features that were almost as if tailored to what he looked for in a woman.

The man's haphazard driving on the ice sent his car skidding, unable to stop and almost catapulting off of the road into an equally frozen ditch. By some miracle, the airbag didn't go off, potentially breaking his face in the process. Despite being disoriented however, there was only one thing on his mind: Did he hit that woman?

Scrambling to get out of his seat-belt, Fionn bundled up with his extra jackets, hat, and mittens and quickly got out of the car. Trying to stare up onto the road, he didn't see any sign of her.

"Hey!" He called out into the wind, the sound being immediately caught in the vacuum of the blizzard.

"Are you okay?! Ma'am?!" He called again, stumbling to try and get back onto the road where he had last seen here.

"I'm here!" Came a small voice over the storm, scared and trembling. "Please help me, I'm hurt!"

"I'm coming! I'm gonna come find you and then get us some help!" The man called back, trying to find the direction of her voice.

"Please! Please hurry! It's so cold!" Came the choked sob.

This is where all logic seemed to truly be blown somewhere into the storm's winds, as he heard her getting further and further away. "Where are you?! Keep calling out so I can find you!"

"I'm over here! Please! It's so cold!"

As he followed the voice, he was also able to catch mere glimpses of her. The beautiful but torn white dress, hair as black as ink. Her lips were the color of bruises from the cold, starting to swell but made them look… ever so much fuller. There was even a soft blue hue to her pallor. Her eyes must have been a dark brown, as they looked like obsidian orbs beneathe heavy lashes that were starting to freeze with snow. But as soon as he was able to see her enough to get closer... she somehow was further away than he expected.

Fionn needed to save this woman.

This is how he ended up far away from the road, climbing up a hill. All logical thought was gone, and all alarm bells were consumed in the suffocating roar of the blizzard. He didn't question how she somehow kept moving further and further away from the road, or how she did so without being able to be seen moving. He didn't even think, all he wanted, all he needed, was to save her. To be near her. To take her into his arms.

He didn't think of his wife and unborn child. He also didn't even think of his mistress. They meant nothing, if it meant he could learn more of the beautiful damsel he intended to do anything to help.

As the man moved up that hill, finally… the woman stopped moving away from him.

But by then he was exhausted, the cold seeping so far into his bones that all he wanted to do was sleep. He was disoriented, confused, body trembling violently. His own lips were blue, eyelashes and hair crusted with ice. But soon… soon he could help her.

"I'm here." Fionn said as he collapsed before the woman who sat within the snow, and for some reason… she smiled.

"I know." Was all she murmured, and the blizzard whirled around them far more violently as he started to collapse against her bosom, they both coated in white.

Fionn fell asleep against the woman's chest as she held him closely, suddenly warm and comforted despite that in reality, she was perhaps colder than their surroundings.

Raising her head, the woman's smile almost turned wicked before closing her eyes and vanished; as if returning to become one with the snow itself. A peal of laughter caught on the wind as the blizzard raged on.

The man was left crumpled in the snow, never to awaken.

Strangely, when Fionn's body was found days later, there was a shred of white cloth in his hand... but the only footprints around were his own.

Back
Top Bottom