Challenge Submission 68 Years

NotAllThatCreative

Lurker
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 11:12 PM
Pronouns
she/her
It began with an autumn breeze in 1955 when he looked at her with complete love in his eyes as they sat on a bench in a park. They were both young, only 17, and still in school. To him, she was stunning and had a smile as bright as the sun. To her, he was as handsome as a young John Wayne with eyes shining like night's stars. They were inseparable, always seen together and their smiles of pure love were contagious. Many students within the school were jealous of their bond but they never paid attention to it, happy to be with one another.

"Let's run off and get married!" He proposed to her, seeming excited by the idea. His eyes were bright, full of mischief and his smile eager. "We can go to Indiana, where they don't know us and when we're done, we can come back."

The idea excited her, her heart leaping in her chest. His words sounded like a dream, something almost unachievable. Their parents would never allow this but that didn't matter to her. What mattered to her was how much she loved this man and how much she wanted to be with him.

After a moment of contemplation, she nodded, smiling just as brightly as him. "All right, let's go!"

On September 6th, 1955, they were married. Because they were both underage, they lied on their marriage certificate, saying they were adults rather than minors. No one seemed to have noticed or blinked an eye. They were full of bliss on their way back home to Ohio. Nothing in the world could ruin this for them and they wouldn't let it. Not their parents, society, nothing.

A few years passed and in 1963, they adopted a baby boy. They struggled to have children at the beginning of their marriage. So many tears were shed and hope seemed almost lost when they were suddenly blessed with their first child in 1965. Suddenly, two more followed in 1967 and 1969. Their family was finally complete with two sons and two daughters. They were happy and full of life, completely content with how things were.

She worked at a grocery store for a while before moving to the city schools and working there. He struggled to keep working as he had no desire to keep a job. She brought in most of the money while he was between jobs. He never could keep himself working, no matter what he did. There was an assumption that she made enough money and could take care of the house and children. This often caused a lot of tension between the married couple.

In the 80's, he suffered a major accident that should've killed him. His semi that he had been driving flipped several times and no one is sure how he survived that. He walked away with minor injuries. His wife was extremely happy when he came home to her in one piece, as were his children.

During the 90's, their money troubles continued but the husband was still working for the trucking company, hauling fuel across the city. They were blessed with many grandchildren during this time. 14 grandchildren, in fact. Their 13th grandchild, a granddaughter, was their most special. She was born to their first natural-born child and she had, as her grandmother said, twinkly eyes. A small thing due to stress during her mother's pregnancy, she was the absolute light of her grandparents' eyes. Her grandparents worshipped her, causing the other grandchildren to get jealous. This, however, didn't bother them.

In the early 2000s, both retired and settled into their later years. Many stressors came about during this time as well. Money, the drama following their children, and the wife's constant hoarding of beautiful things that she would find in catalogs to buy. Their home was filled with the things she bought: dolls, knickknacks, furniture, kitchen decor, and many other things. No one could count how much she had in the home. It was nearly overflowing but many found it endearing rather than a problem. But one thing that never changed was their love for one another.

Their days were often filled with watching their special granddaughter and taking her on simple adventures. Whether it was out to eat, to the store, or to the park, they always had fun. She always had a light in her eyes that brought them happiness that no one could replace and her laughter filled the room. As she grew and became older, they became prouder. They watched as her sweet, rosy cheeks and curls started to fill out and become more womanly. As she got older, they did too.

They started showing more signs of aging. Her grandmother's hip got bad and had to be replaced when she was younger. Her grandfather suffered many falls, black eyes, and illnesses. All the while, she was still their twinkle-eyed granddaughter who was there with them, helping as much as she could. When she was 12, most of that changed. Her father, the couple's natural-born, had forced her out and away from the family with little to no explanation as to why. It turns out, he was abusing the girl and he wouldn't fess up to it. She was seeking help through her words on paper and the schools were slowly getting involved. No one knew her silent battle even though her grandparents had witnessed it themselves on many occasions. The granddaughter was forced to go home to her mother. This didn't stop her from continuously visiting her grandparents despite her father's wishes.

Many more years of hardships came about. They were forced to move several times before finally settling down again in a small town outside of the big city. Their precious granddaughter was distraught but there was nothing they could do other than cheer her up with their sweet words of love and promises. The husband became more ill as time passed. He was battling skin cancer from the years of being in the sun from driving a truck. He slept for many hours a day because he was also fighting a silent battle: kidney disease. His kidneys were failing him, slowly shutting down. By the time he was in hospice, he wouldn't speak, look at anyone, eat, drink, anything.

On his first night there, his granddaughter was there with him, well into the night. He continuously looked at her and said, while trying to get out of his bed, "I need to find my wife. I need to be with my wife.".

"I know," The granddaughter would reply, squeezing his hand with a small smile on her face. "She's coming. Just lay down and get some sleep, papa. She'll be here soon to see you." Her grandmother was in bed, sleeping as she knew her husband was safe with her darling granddaughter. "Nanny will see you in the morning."

The next day, he knew who she was and he was happily talking to her. She spent hours there with him, chatting about life and how much she loved him. It was well into the evening when she decided it would be best to leave him to rest.

"Promise me that you'll take care of her for me." He looked at her with such severity that she had never seen before. Her grandfather was always relaxed, joking, and having fun with her so this wasn't like him but at the same time, she knew it was.

"You know I will." She smiled as she kissed his cheek for one last time. "I always will."

The granddaughter was banned from the hospice center not much longer after that due to a spat she had with a cousin over posting things online about their grandfather. Her father had sent her such nasty messages, saying she needed to stay away from their family. On December 16th, 2017, her grandfather passed away early in the morning. She never got to say goodbye to him.

In January of 2018, her grandmother suffered a massive stroke. It nearly killed her. No one told the granddaughter of this event. Every other grandchild was notified of this but her. She sobbed in the middle of the department store she was working in at the time and begged her boss to allow her to go so she could be there with her grandmother. With reluctance, she was able to leave but her father threatened to have her arrested should she show up at the hospital. She didn't show go but days later, she received a phone call from her ill grandmother.

"I don't know why they didn't tell you, sweetheart." Her extremely confused grandmother said.

"They don't like me, Nan." She would tell her time and time again. "And I don't know why either."

"Oh, stop it. They love you." Her grandmother obviously didn't understand her point but she was upset that no one had thought to tell her precious grandchild. "I'll tell them again to call you if anything happens."

5 years of horrendous stress followed her grandmother after this. She went from staying at her youngest daughter's house to staying at her son's house in the country, which should have been condemned for how poor the living conditions were. Poisonous snakes roamed in the house and even killed one of the dogs living there, and there was no real plumbing inside. Her grandmother was often left alone for days and that was something that irritated both the granddaughter and her other aunt. After many falls, strokes, and incidents, her grandmother was placed in a nursing home. This was for the best and the granddaughter could rest easy at night, knowing her grandmother was safe.

On May 22, 2022, the granddaughter's father committed suicide, shocking the entire family. No one truly knew what had happened at first. Someone said he had taken a gun to himself and another said he had overdosed. His mother was distraught and so was his daughter. Sure, his daughter and he didn't get along but that was still her father. She loved him, despite their many differences. He had left her a mountain of debt, unbelievable stories, destroyed property, several unanswered questions, and a heartbroken grandmother.

Her grandmother cried, wondering why her son would do this to her. Her granddaughter, on the other hand, knew that it would only be time before her grandmother would follow him. Losing her husband nearly took her from her but losing her child would.

"I don't know why he would say he loved me and then do this," Her grandmother cried to her in absolute confusion, the phone shaking in her hand.

"I don't know, Nan." The granddaughter said, her heart breaking with every word her grandmother was saying. "No one understands why he did this." Her granddaughter paused, unsure of what else to say to her grandmother. "But I know he loved you. I just don't think he could find the right help for his mental disorders."

Her grandmother started getting weaker over the months, illness after illness hitting her and no one could understand why she was constantly getting sick. There was something silent coming over her that would consume her later. In late May of 2023, she was put into the ICU in the city where her granddaughter lived with very little chance of survival. She was suffering from heart failure and kidney failure, much like her late husband. Her granddaughter rushed up to the hospital and spent many days there with her.

"I could never understand why he left me alone. He knows I don't like to be alone. I don't like to eat alone or sleep alone." Her grandmother was talking about her late father and how he would leave her alone for days on end. She struggled to breathe while she spoke. "I guess he got tired of me and threw me away."

Even after many attempts of trying to say otherwise, her grandmother was firm on what she was saying. "All I wanted was for you two to get back together."

"I know," The granddaughter said, a small sigh escaping her mouth and she squeezed her grandmother's frail hand. "I tried, I really did. It was up to him in the end. I called, texted, sent letters, and everything else. He wanted nothing to do with me, Nan."

"But he loved you so much."

"He was terrible at showing it." He always was. If he wasn't yelling at her, he was ignoring her for some reason or another. She smiled lightly, looking at her tired grandmother. "I'm just glad I got to be here with you."

"I am too, honey."

Her grandmother got to go back to the nursing home days later but she was put into hospice care. Two days after that, the granddaughter got the call that her grandmother had only a week left. She spoke to her aunt, the one that truly cared for her. The granddaughter's dad had a birthday that day, June 14th, and because of the turmoil that he caused, her aunt went on about how much she hated him and how awful he was as a person. She understood because even in death, he was causing issues. Her aunt was constantly telling her that if her mother died on that day, she would never forgive him. The granddaughter told her, repeatedly, that she wouldn't. Her grandmother was stronger than that.

On June 18th, 2023, her grandmother had passed away in her sleep. It was Father's Day and it was agreed upon between her aunts and the granddaughter that her grandmother wanted to be with her husband and son that day. Her grandmother was finally at rest. Her grandparents had been reunited after 4 long years.

This was the story of my grandparents and how, after 68 years, their love endured all. I can remember, as clear as day, their smiles, their laughter, their hugs, and their love. I was their special 13th grandchild, their light, and their precious twinkle eyes. While my own parents were off fighting, I knew I could rely on my grandparents to be the one consistent thing in my life that I could count on. They had their spats, petty fights, and silly jokes like any other couple. To me, they were my whole entire world. I miss them so very much but I'm glad, that even after everything that they went through, they're together again.

Back
Top Bottom