Challenge Submission Life is cruel like that.

Currently reading:
Challenge Submission Life is cruel like that.

Adenosine

Minor Junior Private Negative First Class
Local time
Today 12:58 AM
Diary entry #278
Date - ???

How long have I been in here? I've already lost count. As long as I can remember, anyway. Weeks? Months? It's been long enough to notice the changes being in this place has had on my body at any rate. It's hard to really tell with the darkness. In here, darkness is all you know. That's all there is. Darkness is your friend, darkness is your enemy. It envelopes you, covers you, and in turn, you embrace it. I don't even know what my cell looks like. I've moved around a little bit but the fear of the unknown keeps me docile. I'm very certain there's someone in the cell next to me, I can hear them moving around sometimes. I've tried to get nearer to them... Pandering around, clueless in this... abyss - this labyrinth that I'm now resident to. Then I was reminded that I was chained, corded, reigned in place and my attempts ended in futility.

Sometimes I can hear what I can only assume to be the guards. Voices. It's hard to tell what they're saying, it sounds like they're so far away. Whispers, even. Sometimes they're ominous and other times it sounds like they're... almost excited? A sadistic bunch it would seem. On the bright side - I get fed. I can't say that it tastes good though. Honestly, it doesn't even really taste like anything. It's almost like I'm getting just pure nutrients and that's it.

Wait! There's a lot of movement happening right now. I'm going to have to cut this entry short. Whenever I hear a lot of activity, that's when I like to make my moves. I kick, roll, punch, anything I can do to try and free myself from this chain and get out of this sodden bastille. And when I'm not... it's just waiting. There's a lot of waiting. A lot of time biding. Anyway. Until next time.

~~Diary Entry #280
~~Date - ???

I don't know what's going on, but it has stirred up the hornets nest. The whole facility has to be on some sort of lock down. I can still hear the sirens in the distance and there's been screaming for what has seemed like hours now. Horrible, painful, awful screaming. I'm sick of it. Nothing but howls of misery and obscene sentences that no one else should ever dream of saying to others. Maybe this is more serious than I think it is. I've been feeling what I can only describe as tremors and they're getting worse and worse... the one I felt a few minutes ago was incredible, as if the Earth was shattering.

I... I'm starting to get anxious. There's structural damage, there has to be. It's getting hotter and what feels like a river of condensation. There was standing water for a little bit, it's mostly gone now, but I distinctly remember the sound of water flowing. What if I die in here? I don't even know where I am! The screaming, it's getting louder. The voices, closer. Another violent quake... This is it. This is it... I'm ready. I'm...

~The Present~

"Ready? There's one more in there, we might have to screw him out." A deep voice was speaking calmly, but he was obviously speaking about the prisoner inside. A second voice called out, almost questionably.

"What do you mean, screw him out?" This voice sounded concerned. Male, but very scared almost as if he was uncomfortable with what was going on in front of his very eyes.

A chuckle emanated from the calm man and he responded sarcastically. "Look, you guys screwed him in, sometimes we gotta screw 'em out, too. Can you hand me that clamp?" Metallic clanks reverberated as instruments and tools were moved about. Blood spurted, drawing another womanly scream followed by immense sobs. "Okay, okay, I got him clamped, cut it. Cut it off, do it."

~

Like a door opening, I saw light appear at the end of a tunnel and the voices were much, much clearer. The exchanges I was hearing, the screams, the sound of anguish, I knew I was up next. I felt something push me from behind and I got closer to the light.

"It's coming, I can see it. Just a little more."

Another push from behind and my heart started to race and race, I can feel it bursting from my chest almost. Trying to avoid being pushed so hard, I reluctantly started crawling towards the door. Terror flooded my thoughts and my veins were ice as I could only imagine the horrors I was about to endure.

As I neared and got closer to the outside, my eyes seemed to weld shut. I had been in the dark for so long, this new stimulation was painful and I was forced to close my eyes in attempts to shield myself from the seemingly harmful rays. Blinded again, this time by the light instead of the darkness. I felt a hand grip my throat and all of a sudden I felt submerged. My lungs were suffocating, hands were all over me, my senses were overloaded.

Then it happened. My lungs drew in its first fresh breath of air and I felt the most blood curdling pain I have ever felt in my life. I started breathing erratically and my heart was beating even faster now...

And then I screamed. My wail was piercing and indicative of pain on an unbelievable level. The worst feeling I have ever felt. I was drenched in what felt like bodily fluids, I didn't know if it was mine or not and my vision was all blurry. It was absolutely freezing, a huge, stark contrast to the warm cell I just came from. I was thrown down and out of the corner of my eye I could see another form. Bloody, writhing in discomfort, letting out screams of equal despair. That was my cell mate, I knew it in my heart. I saw more movement out of my periphery and I lashed out in anger and frustration, kicking with earnest.

"Oh man, this one is a fighter. Alright, let's sew the girl up, we're all done here." That same calm, cold voice resonated.

"Congratulations, Mrs. Harrison. They're two beautiful, healthy twin boys."

Back
Top Bottom