Currently reading:
Challenge Submission See No Evil

Staz

5'4 Man Whore
Local time
Today 1:39 AM
Pronouns
He/Him
When one cannot see, one learns to love scenery through any and all other means. In addition to the obvious; My touch, scent, hearing, and even my smell; I took great care in articulating the fashion of my imagination. So to spend a day so perfect at the beach, I made extra sure to have every sensory experience presented to me to allow such fictions to blossom in the theater behind my eyes.

It does seem worth mentioning, however, that I was not born blind. Rather, the blindness was thrust upon me. Perhaps a story for another day, but a detail that needs including nonetheless. For it is the time spent seeing that became a canvas for which my mind will paint upon. A detrimental detail, Indeed.

And so there we were, a perfect summer day spent curled beneath a thick umbrella, a blanket that shifted the sand; welcoming the tiny intruders into the creases of my body where they would undoubtedly cause an infuriating itch. An itch that would eventually send me back into the water to dismiss the grains, only to collect them against my feet and ankles, for the invasion to begin all over again once I had dried.

Perfect as any beach day could be, I'd say.

I've always loved the tropes beaches carried with them, as well. A particular favorite of mine was the girl who could not put a book down. I've always loved stories, writing, reading and listening. For this reason I had brought along my favorites in braille. Was it difficult to read such a thing in beach conditions? Undoubtedly. So Undoubtedly in fact, that I got almost no reading done at all. Though I bet I looked whimsical.. Fingers dancing across the raised pinpoints, brow slightly furrowed as if lost in the fiction of it all.. I wonder if some young man caught glimpse of me, drawn in, watching my ever slight changes in expression..

"Say, Lorielle." I leaned to my left, where I had last placed my sister. "Yes?" I felt my lips curl into a perfectly deviant smile. "Would you watch the people for a while? Tell me absolutely anything of their actions." Lorielle was quiet for a moment. Likely scoping out for the best people in which to describe to me. I waited patiently, with my great book hugged to my chest, with my eyes shut to truly begin sculpting out her delineation.

"I see a rather pink man.. Wearing a floppy hat that seems ill suited to his attire.. Oh my.. He's removed his shirt to reveal a sickly pale outline of the very item he removed.." I laughed and laughed. What a silly man, to spend so long under the sun that the rest of your skin cannot keep up with the heat marking you. "What else?" I rocked slightly, a habit when I became all too delighted.

"There's young boys running along the edge of the water - Playing tag I believe. A woman searching through her big beach bag, and a little girl at her hip. I suppose she's looking for something to feed her daughter, the child looks stained with tears."

Lorielle was an excellent describer. She would offer the literal details, then share her speculation on what might be happening. It was the perfect way to bring me to my own conclusions, to allow my own speculations based on what is there, and what it appears to be to her. I dearly loved Lorielle for providing such immaculate details to me.

"Oh.. my. That is odd.."

My smiles and rocking continued as I asked her "What now?"

Lorielle was quiet.

"Lori..?" My rocking slowed.

"Oh it's just.. A strange group has arrived along the shore. Let's see.. There's five of them. Pale as ghosts." I nodded, smile growing. "They sound starved for the sun, just like that man's potbelly stomach." She hadn't mentioned the size of him, I simply envisioned his stomach to be round and hard. "No.. they're not dressed for the beach at all. They're all wearing black robes that touch their ankles." The tone of Lorielle's voice was enough to freeze me, even in the blazing summer heat. Her fear was not terribly obvious - only a trembling of her vocal cords that I could recognize.

"Everyone is staring at them.. They seem completely unphased. Like.. like performers that detested their own audience." I felt something growing in my throat. We were their audience? Audience to what? I placed a hand on Lorielles after some searching. "Forget the people, let us enjoy the water! Will you guide me in?" With that, Lorielle seemed to exhale. I was grateful to hear that breath, for it seemed she had been holding it. "Yes, follow me Eina."

We tend to situate ourselves as far from the water as possible. See, there was better shade near the trees that lined the short hill leading back up to the cars. In addition to that, if any water began to rise up, I wouldn't have to learn about it in a difficult way. So yes, the walk was a bit long and involved carefully being led around the other families and couples visiting the ocean, though I didn't mind a stroll.

"Those people are.. Doing some odd dance. It's a little upsetting to watch." Despite the pit growing in my stomach, I found myself morbidly curious. "What.. does it look like?" I finally managed to ask.

"It's disturbing. Their limbs are moving over and around their heads in a way that looks - wrong. Like.. I suppose like the tendrils of a squid. Fluid and changing.. Not like a human's arms at all." I could hear chanting, faintly. I wish I could make out the words. "Those nearby have been moving their belongings away. I don't blame them."

I tried to laugh, but it hitched in my throat as I felt sudden moisture enveloping my toes. "Oh - I'm sorry! That must have shocked you." Lorielle held my hand in both of hers, shaking slightly until I forgave her. I did, of course. "It's freezing! How wonderful after so long in the sun." I carefully tip-toed deeper until the water was waving just passed my ankles. I heard her hands slip into the water beside me, and quickly I aimed a rival splash in that direction before she could strike. We laughed, exchanging watery blows back and forth with growing excitement. Excitement that slowly left our voices as the chanting overtook it.

Then, a blood curdling scream.

It was incredibly startling, I pulled my hands up over my ears to try and make it stop. Make it stop. "Eina - Eina, one of the strange people is just standing there - facing the ocean -" Screaming. Along with the distant screeching, many other beach visitors had begun lodging complaints at the group. Some yelling, others pleading that they're scaring the children. Lorielle had my hand for a while, but eventually it slipped out of my grasp. "Lori?" I asked carefully, my voice barely loud enough to hear over the woman screaming. The water had begun to ripple as well, waves crashing against my knees and causing my balance to shift. "Lori - let's just go home–" I asked with a crack in my throat. Though no matter how much I pulled on or patted my sister, she would not move.

The ripples grew larger, and so did the choir of demise.

It seemed more and more people had begun joining this strange group in their screeching. Some even laughing, and along the line somewhere was the faint sounds of fleshy pummeling. As though, perhaps, a few people had begun brawling. "Lori– please–" Her laugh began low, concentrated, until her throat screeched with uproarious laughter. She pushed me so suddenly with the biggest wave I had felt yet – I was submerged for a few moments. Almost pulled into the sea that had grown so suddenly violent.

"Lori!" I cried her name as I reemerged, panting and struggling to maintain my balance. It took all my energy to call her name while I forced my way out of the waters. Dropping myself against the sand, and crawling still as the waves were beginning to land further and further from before. It seemed no matter how far I crawled, desperately through the legs of frantic people that screamed and ran with no direction, that the water would touch me. Just barely, every time.

I resorted to curling up there. Sometimes the screaming, laughing, crazy people would kick me as they went. Stumble over me, roll about, and carry on anyways. It felt like an eternity until the air went a deadly silent. Though I knew better, my senses were better.

I could hear it. The faint chanting, the whispered screaming, and the gushy slithering of age-old tendrils. The water didn't move anymore – In fact, it was more still and deadly silent than I had ever heard it. Whatever octopus-like abomination hung in the sky above me had turned the entire beach to an indescribable still.

I felt my bones quaking in a way I had never felt before. Fear was a tricky thing, it had a way of destroying your perceptions and your control and your reason. For this reason, I found myself imagining a massive figure, bigger than anything ever seen, with sickly tendrils that hung off its incomprehensible head. Surely from the fear, I pictured the very detailed abomination as it slowly lowered its head to me, as water dribbled down its massive form, soaking me in a damp sludge.

It's guttural voice seemed to echo from everywhere – and from nowhere. I saw its tormented head tilting at me as it spoke.

You do not see...... You are broken

I could not move or think. The presence of this thing – of this cosmic beast – It was too much to react to.

I ... Will fix you..

My eyes opened, almost mechanically. I could see the sand stretching out across the beach. The sun blaring against a seamlessly blue sky. It was beautiful. Why did Lorielle not remind me how seamless the sky was today? Why did she not remind me of the sand and all its changing pigments? Tears formed in my eyes so quickly, mixing with the gushing moisture slipping off the unthinkable beast.

Ah, was I right in the theater of my mind? I found myself peeking sideways as I lay there. Up to the massive figure, to his unwelcoming form. The gaze of my savior was difficult, but I was exact in my speculations. Had he, in all his horrificness, implanted himself inside my head precisely? It was a thought that made my head spin, that made my nails scratch at my flesh, that made a laughter roll up my throat, threatening to break out of me in a screeching delight.

And laugh I did.

Back
Top Bottom