origin

alignment
cis male [he/him]

21 years old

bisexual, male lean

vayu, islevare

chaotic good
nUIOplG.png
out of the dark day, into the brighter night.

Personality:
Most see the Selcourt heir as a prankster, mischievous with a good sense of humour. Monty can be quite the menace, terrorizing his peers on campus every now and then, and often speaks loudly and unfiltered. Despite his impulsivity, he manages to maintain top marks in most subjects, but sadly is one of those people who coast through academia only by sheer innate intelligence and routine. He studies, but only puts effort into learning things where he doesn't already know the answer, seeing as his parents have drilled him to excel in most fields of study from before he could learn to walk. He likes to use his knowledge for chaos and may spout random magical facts, often in inappropriate situations. He's very clumsy and uncoordinated, bumping into random objects and tripping over himself whenever excitement overtakes him. His snake, Jiya, wraps herself around his ankles a lot, which doesn't help; he often stands up and realizes too late that he has a snake around both of his legs before he can save his face from colliding with the floor. Having grown up an only child, Monty has never had many people to talk to, so he can be emotionally unaware at times, but cares a lot about the very few people he considers his friends. Behind all of his troublemaking lies a deep, genuine longing to be liked by other people, so he can be a bit of a people-pleaser at times.

Homeworld:
Islevare, which is a world where magic has seemed to always have played a significant role in shaping the political and historical landscape. The origins of magic are shrouded in myth and legend, but many believe it was gifted to certain individuals by powerful spirits or gods. There exist three nations within Islevare: Vayu, Yshtan, and Raksasa. Monty was born and raised in the region called Vayu, known for its agriculturalism and sprawling, idyllic mountains. The people of Vayu have a close relationship with the natural world and are often skilled in herbalism or alchemy, renowned for being the most prosperous and wealthy among Islevare's civilizations. Receiving an invitation from the Celestial University has always been considered the highest honour among Islevare's prominent magic-using families, and the Selcourt house is no exception. Monty's family line is comprised of various generations of former Celestial University alumni, and so he was put through an age-old family tradition when he reached eighteen years old, where he was to attempt a ritual to summon a portal to the University's island campus. He failed twice, only succeeding on his twentieth birthday, and upon being granted his acceptance to the University on behalf of his family's prestigious lineage (as well as his proven magical prowess), he has been a chaotic presence on campus ever since.

Backstory:
The Selcourt family's longstanding affiliation with the University has loomed over Monty's head his entire childhood, saddling him with many pressures of living up to his parents' expectations. The Selcourts were esteemed Vayuan aristocrats who held onto their noble status through their adept control over magic, and thus failure to follow in previous generations' footsteps was something that was vehemently discouraged, resulting in a very rigid intended future for the young Selcourt heir. Monty felt stifled growing up and became rebellious in response, leaning into troublemaking and seeking excitement whenever he could, if only to satiate the boredom that came with the rigorous and mundane academic tasks given to him by various tutors. Many of these tutors often expressed their exasperation with him using the same sentiment, that he had an innate intelligence but as long as he preferred to use it to outwit others and engage in foolish pursuits, his family name was doomed to be wasted on him. Truth be told, Monty has never before experienced the kind of freedom he currently has as a university student, and intends to make the most of this newfound freedom, much to the amusement (or dismay) of his fellow students.

Style/Form:
Mages from Islevare primarily use expressive hand movements to generate their power, guided by a strong intention to cast. While some mages may incorporate verbal components into their spells, the Selcourts have mastered the use of non-verbal casting and may often amplify their spells using a bonded item, such as a necklace or staff. Monty uses a
wand made of sodalite and silver embellishments, but is able to cast without it (albeit to a lesser extent of his powers) as he often misplaces it anyway.

Affinity/Focus:
Monty is particularly skilled with water and air magic, but is most fascinated by the freedom and mystery of alchemy. His research focus is driven by this interest, and he is often seen experimenting with exotic ingredients in his dorm room and testing the limits of the University's leniency regarding elixir regulations.
Monty's water magic mostly extends to conjuration and manipulation, and this ability is highly adaptable and can be influenced by his emotional state, drawing from his innate magical core and possibly strengthened by any nearby water source within 10 feet of him. Combined with his control over air magic, he can alter the temperature of the water he manipulates, creating ice or steam. He can use this ability for offense and defense, but often uses it for practical applications like refrigerating his alchemy ingredients or warming his dorm room during cold months. Overdependence on water and air magic, however, may lead to Monty having a difficult time regulating his emotions or focusing his attention, as elemental magic in Islevare is heavily tied to the user's inner psyche. Without the presence of natural sources or magically bonded objects, a mage from Islevare is much more likely to fall into magical corruption due to the heavy reliance on their magical core, which has limits depending on genetics.
Sodalite, in particular, is a favoured gemstone of Monty's, due to its attunement to attention and increased focus, which is very much needed for a water and air mage like him.
Additionally, he has recently been dabbling in illusory magic, which requires control over light in order to alter the perception of minor objects.

Other Skills & Interests:
He really likes the challenge of magical theory and coming up with new and exciting applications of magic. Other than that, any activity that provides him with high amounts of mental stimulation is guaranteed to keep his interest, including but not limited to planning out elaborate pranks, studying astronomy, and exploring the 'hidden' parts of campus.

Pet:
His beloved white ball python,
Jiya, who was gifted to him on his seventh birthday. She is a relatively harmless and friendly creature, but seems to share her owner's propensity for mischief. However, she doesn't get very far on her own, mostly because she is a bit stupid, but in an oddly endearing way: for example, Monty often has to place dead mice in front of her so that she can feed, otherwise she completely forgets to eat, and even once she has located the mouse, she often lunges just to miss her target entirely. Despite her simplemindedness, Monty adores her with all his heart and spoils her as much as possible.

dream state - son lux
< / >
mind if i drop this guy here real quick [let me know if anything needs to be changed in light of any updates to the application template! just wanted to get this app posted asap]
Nah, emotional imbalance and core corruption are good enough restrictions for me to work with. Welcome aboard! 😁

Name: Lux Fost
Appearance:
6Eq6ZZlrt0eUnFBMmjBo77AAncEZBQeT9C61hp9LKFsawPbG0yDH7Olvw3vzrNgHBb4_C8dS93PUfDzuRtY78RmpiIveWnd4o0vpGhHxm-DMNo8EvLnCecSCVpBc-P17vzUv9aPjXhf3c6GnI9i3SD4

Personality: Blunt, oblivious, and at times unknowingly crass, he has poor social skills. He does, however, tend to say what he means. Theres no hidden message in his words, and he has trouble with people who do not speak clearly. He doesn't always get sarcasm, or backhanded compliments. If he had a friend beyond Noir, he would probably be very loyal and generous. At present he is skeptical of everyone but tries to keep an open mind with any one who can do magic.

Homeworld: Somewhere on his planet, he thinks.

Backstory: On a distant unnamed planet revolving around a yellow star much like earth, a group of cultists were trying to bring about the end of the age of eternity. Magic was taboo, and they wanted the age of magic to come to fruition, so they sought out ancient rituals to try and summon a dark messiah to spearhead the charge against the inquisitors of Eternity.

They First used dark magics and shadowy rituals to conceive a child. Who would be the Light Bringer. Lux was born nine months to the day of the ritual, making him a spring baby. The second thing they did was create a being of living shadow and bound it to the child. The complex nature was supposed to represent the duality of light and dark, creation and destruction. However it went wrong, and there was no light to be had. The child radiated shadow magics, sometimes the darkness swirled about him as if it were smoke.

Lux was treated as a pariah by the cultists that created him. They decided they would try again eventually, but not quite yet. He had only two that cared for him, Noir: the shadow being bound to him, and Fost his caregiver and parent. Fost was a lovely woman, who provided all the motherly affection a growing child needs.

He was sixteen before Fost could even count the days, and Lux was ready to leave the sheltered life of the cult to explore the world. Maybe find a purpose. He set out with Noir and went to explore the known continent of Farsei. He had no formal education to speak of, but he made sure to learn the spell shadow tongue: which allowed him to speak whatever language he heard. As he explored the world for the next six years he found that the world was just as cruel as the cult, and those that feared him often reacted in anger when they discovered he could use magic, and his magic was often beyond his control being a palpable force that surrounded him.

He often had to fight off bounty hunters and inquisitors who specialized in hunting mages, usually he had to run or fake his death. Lux just got lucky most of the time, and ended up getting away or landing a critical blow that would allow him to escape. He was weary of this world, and tried his best to hide the billowing smokey shadow that surrounded him, which as he got older got easier.

It was five years before he discovered the ruins of Celestia, a sort of port where the ancient magicians would gather to enter the college when it came around. But since the outlawing of magic and the inquisition hunting down those that used it, the college had not returned. He was twenty-two years old when he found it, finally. The portal… It took time but his inquisitive nature got the better of him and he finally got it working. With Noir's guidance of course. Lux entered the portal and found himself on a strange floating island with a spire in the dead center.

This must be on another land mass! He had no idea he was on another planet, or really what a continent was, or where he was. Just that this wasn't Farsei. He quickly found that magic was not only prevalent here, but encouraged. Just as quickly, enrolled in his first class.

Style/Form: His movements are fluid, and graceful. The shadows guide him into a dance like motion to perform his spellcraft. He does not require somatic or verbal components but he must be able to move to cast his spells. Be it hand gestures akin to gloving at a rave, or full body movements.

Affinity/Focus: Lux is a shadowmancer, through and through, though bardic is his means of casting. He currently cannot use any other magic, as he was gifted his abilities artificially. Though he was born with the innate talent for magic, his genetics were physically altered by the ritual.

Other Skills & Interests: Music. He loves music and dance, the harder the beat the better, percussion and string are his jam. Anything that conveys a story through music. He isn't big on lyrical content, just the music itself.
Lux also enjoys making shadow puppets and entertaining others (usually just himself as Noir thinks it stupid)

Trouble: Learning any magic not rooted in shadow or darkness. Often he cannot control his magics and his emotions tend make his spells go awry. Sometimes he can't hide the shadow magic that corrupts his aura, making him an easy target for those who consider darker magic to be taboo.

Weakness: cannabinoids. Nuff said. Calms him down and makes him think before he speaks, instead of the unfiltered version of himself usually presented.
Light, bright lights tend to blind him or give him bad headaches.He tends to wear glasses with smoked lenses to help with this.

Strength: He is especially gifted with shadow and dark magic. He can see in the dark better than he can during the day. He is a particularly good dancer.

Pet: Noir

dfA8r7LOD_ft2O4a8DRhKhk9xySBs270fZfvF_xfs-2bAQ09x2I2t_jf0vBMjgJZhOmmufVGPWW85Fxugu8vXYOA2wXl0wjonJL-8cFiKrRXx6ea38kcR3DhHWWiWIgwYwsbmWFFa65lNFmuTyumPnE

True form Noir

bA-YkmzbL9YU1PmtwyaA8Q1IaUx-MtaMv0tI_BOZYDQQlHvevdshNYtaj6Cao8wy3xu9NYsRal0TsQ0yG45RIEsEbmXhWvuFBXZ-OM92bkeA42jZ2JyPi8eZXYqeNgC_XnBcAujtaEWwjutRLqI1TmE

Noir is sassy and often cryptic. He/it is a shadow being bound to Lux via occult experiments done on him as an infant. Noir has always and will always be there. Over time he became a friend of Lux, instead of being a prisoner. If Lux were to die it is unclear what would happen to Noir, so he has a vested interest in Lux's safety.
Just need some clarification before approval: it seems like you're using DND speak (which is okay), so by "bardic" magic you mean he has to sing his spells, right?

What time period is this RP set relative to Earth's time? I wasn't able to find info on this on the initial post, but apologies if it is clearly stated lmao 🦬
I am planning to have my character be from Earth and be a member of a long line of magic practitioners.

What time period is this RP set relative to Earth's time? I wasn't able to find info on this on the initial post, but apologies if it is clearly stated lmao 🦬
I am planning to have my character be from Earth and be a member of a long line of magic practitioners.
It's not meant to be easy to find, because I intentionally didn't put one lol. It's supposed to be some nebulous past golden age, something beyond time. BUT, if you need a date, I settled on 13,000 BCE.

Hey there folks—Sorry for the waiting. I'm currently on a little vacation, visiting family. I should have a proper OP up soon. Like I said earlier, if you have an idea for a post you wanna make as an intro, don't wait for me, go for it!

Alright people, an actual first post is now up!! Really sorry for that. Between vacation, work, and volunteering, this was sort of a perfect storm—no wait like that should happen again for a long while.

@dispatch99 , you gotta stop coming up with good roleplay ideas or I'm not gonna have any more free time. That said, you think you could handle another person on this one? I know you've got a lot of stuff going already so if you're at capacity here I get it.
Hahaha, thank you so much! That's a very high compliment, I really appreciate it 😁

New characters have little to do with my capacity—it's more new stories I'm getting involved with. Either way, my policy for this RP is Always Open, so you're more than welcome to join!

Just a question or that I might have bad eyes. Do we have a map of the university?
Nope! And that is by design (also I am not a map maker 😅). There's a general description under the University spoiler on the main post here—I can fill in blanks if you need though 😁

Name: Shafyd (given name)
Appearance: Shafyd is of average height and build for a common human of the Million Worlds. His face is square-shaped with a strong, aquiline nose and large, dark eyes beneath a shag of gently curling hazelnut hair. The features of Shafyd's face are otherwise sharp, due in large part to his water-scarce life in the deserts of Som-Babda. Shafyd's skin is a medium bronze hue with a slightly leathery texture from countless long days beneath the scorching sun. His normal attire consists of sandals and a light tunic, over which he wears a long, sand-eaten, white robe that offers his body and face protection from the harsh rays of the sun.

Personality: Shafyd, while fond of playful banter, has learned to err on the side of caution with most people. His magical abilities put many from his homeworld on edge when in his presence and teasing rarely acted to lessen their nerves. As such, Shafyd is exceedingly polite and strategically complimentary—though not disingenuously—when speaking with anyone but his closest friends; of which there are admittedly few. Regardless of the suspicion often cast upon him by his people, Shafyd endeavors to be kind and trusting whenever common sense allows.
Homeworld: Shafyd hails from a vast desert region on one of the many nameless planets on the fringes of the Million Worlds. To the people of this desert region, their home is known as Som-Babda, or, loosely, "the Place Between Horizons." The human population of Som-Babda is sparse. Most live either in small settlements around oases and desert wells or in nomadic communities that herd large sheep-sized insects similar to silkworms.
Backstory: Shafyd was born in a small town deep in the deserts of Som-Babda. Shafyd was born on the fifth day of the fifth lunar month and was the fifth child of his parents. 555 is considered an unlucky number in much of Som-Babda. Supposed reasons for this unluckiness range from its similar sound to the word for "drought" in Dhes, the most commonly spoken language in Som-Babda, to the fact that a five-syllable word with a stressed fifth syllable would not fit anywhere in a traditional Som-Babdaan narrative poem except for the end of the fifth stanza which generally describes a moment of great sorrow. The definite reason for the association is lost to time though. But, thanks to this unluckiness, Shafyd was given up to the aged mystic of a nomad tribe. The old woman saw magical potential in the infant Shafyd and took him under her wing.

Style/Form: Shafyd practices his magic primarily through reading a set of carved knuckle bones taken from a species of long-legged, predatory weasels native to Som-Babda. He also carries a small metal amulet made from the broken tip of a knife which he uses in a similar manner to a dowsing rod. Shafyd practices divination through the movements of animals as well. All of Shafyd's divined knowledge comes to him more as a vague understanding or awareness rather than clear, definite information.
Affinity/Focus: Shafyd's only practiced magic before coming to the Celestial University was divination. Importantly, Shafyd is currently incapable of reading the future, only being able to divine information about the present or past. As well, the more closely guarded a piece of information, the more difficult it is for Shafyd to uncover. At present, Shafyd has trouble even divining a long-held secret on his own.
Other Skills & Interests: Skilled preparer of tea (by Som-Babdaan tastes), Amateur horticulturist, has a nice singing voice

Pet: Shafyd brought no pet with him but is very fond of animals and can even practice a basic level of communication with them through his divinations.

Let me know if anything needs changing!

Edit: Forgot to describe his hair color oh silly me

Last edited:
(Assuming my character gets approved) Anyone interested in a roommate situation? Also assuming that the Celestial University does roommates rather than just giving everyone an individual dorm.

Back
Top Bottom