Currently reading:
Challenge Submission The Spookfest Carnival

CyanCheetah

Lord of Cats
Local time
Tomorrow 12:28 AM
Pronouns
They/He
Deep into a land where only monsters live…

"Mind handing me another cup of tea?"

His growling voice charmingly asked. He reached his furry arm for the table, with his long claws, he held tightly around the cup's grip and placed it down onto the table in front. Wolfgang made a big grin on his face with his sharp teeth visible, while his shiny golden eyes was focusing on the pale color of the hands of the person holding the teapot, gently pouring the tea into the cup. The werewolf made a small nod as a thanks, glancing over at the pale woman in front of him. She had long, black hair and wore an elegant vampiric dress. "You're welcome." She smirked, before heading back to the other side of the table, sitting down by the side of two other pale people.

The night sky was dark and clear, filled with stars. Breezy wind blew through the air, causing the orange-colored leaves to descend from the trees. A few of them landed on the ground, the others departed into the far distance. A transparent shoe stepped on a leaf, which made no sound at all. Panting as he continuously ran throughout the woods. "Of course I had to be late on my first day." The almost invisible guy sarcastically thought to himself, while he continued making his way past numerous trees.

"Should have known earlier it was the thirty-first of October…"

The transparent young man hurried ahead until he reached the entrance of a huge crowded outdoors festival. 'The Spookfest Carnival' was written in a fancy big font on top of the sign hanging from over the entrance. Carefully, he stepped his foot through the entrance, entering the crowded area. Curiously looking around the place, it was filled with all kinds of people, anything from vampires to werewolves, zombies to mummies, even a few inches away a man with a pumpkin head stood, seemingly welcoming the visitors. There was a lot going on around the place, he felt almost overly stimulated. It didn't help either, how he was not used to being around that many people. The almost invisible guy blushed, though his face was still as colorless as he was. "Oh no, did my hands just turn invisible again?" He thought to himself, while his whole body started to fade.

Jack O'Lantern, the man with the pumpkin head, strolled across the the festival. He had a stoic grin on his stoic face, being a pumpkin, everyone would be used to him having the same expression on his face all day long. The festival was filled with all kinds of activities. Jack made his way toward one of the outdoor stands, which was featuring an archery challenge. "How's it going, Bowie?" His words expressed with the charismatic voice he was known for, Jack directed his question towards a skeleton man holding a bow and arrow while aiming at the target. "It is going good. I'm just doing my magic trick as usual- Never missing the target!" Bowie answered as he fired an arrow, hitting directly in the middle of the bullseye. "Yeah-hah!- Dance, magic, dance!" The skeleton celebrated as he started dancing.

"Am I… invisible?"

No one heard the faint voice of the invisible guy. He nervously stressed, struggling to find just about any corner to hide in. He wobbly rushed through the many people in the area. Then he paused for a moment.

"Oh, and you look new here? Mind introducing yourself?" A charismatic voice came from right behind his back. Was he really talking to him? "Gah!" He screamed, instantly turning around, only to see a man with a pumpkin face, glowing yellow eyes, directly facing him. "W-whooo, are you?!- And how the heck can you, s-see me?!" He hesitantly panicked and yelled back at the pumpkin man. "Don't worry, it's just me, Jack O'Lantern!- The host of the Spookfest Carnival. Oh, and unlike the other people around, it is because of my glowing lantern eyes, I have the special ability to see ghosts like you even when you turn invisible."

"R-really?" The ghost was surprised. "I-I can't even see myself…"

"Indeed, my friend. I'm sure you'll find your way back to your normal state while you get more comfortable over time. And by the way, you seem like a newcomer. Want me to show you around?- I can help you get to know this fest and open up to others as well!" Jack offered his gloved hand to the invisible guy. "It was wonderful to meet you, my friend!- And your name's…?"

"It, it's Phantom!" He greeted with a shaky voice. The ghost nervously reached his hand out to the pumpkin man. As soon their hands touched, his hand went right through Jack's hand. "I- I'm sorry I couldn't do a better handshake…"

"Oh, I understand. It's because you're a ghost! Ghosts don't do handshakes! My bad." The pumpkin apologized. "Now let's get moving, as I, am welcoming you, to your first ever participation in the Spookfest Carnival!"

Tea pouring down from the teapot, the vampire sighed. "How many more cups do you want…?" She hopelessly questioned, putting the teapot back down on the table. Then the werewolf gladly took a sip of his cup of tea. "Hello, fellow friends!" Jack O'Lantern approached the tea table. "We have a new visitor, Phantom! He's pretty shy, but I'm sure he'd like some new friends!" While he announced the newcomer, strangely enough, he gestured towards no one, just empty air. "Seriously? I'm pretty sure that would be an imaginary friend…" The vampire rolled her eyes. "Believe me, I am being serious!" Jack turned to the supposedly empty air, where in his eyes, Phantom was visibly standing right in front of him. "Anyway, Phantom… You should greet these two. Valentine the vampire, and Wolfgang the werewolf!"

The invisible guy inhaled a deep breath. "Ahem, h-hello, can you guys hear me..?" He softly let out his words with a quivering voice. "A ghost?" The werewolf spilled his tea, gasping. Even if they couldn't see him, his voice turned out to be audible for the others to hear after all. Phantom suddenly felt a small sense of relief from his tension. They could actually hear him! It was almost a heartwarming feeling when he finally felt like he was actually seen by others. Wait, his hands, his body, all suddenly seemed to have become slightly more visible. Of course, it was exactly as Jack O'Lantern had previously told. The more comfortable a ghost felt, the less invisible they would appear. Thus they would turn completely invisible when they get stressed out. As Phantom's confidence gradually grew, he could finally get involved in more of what the festival had to offer. "You know what…? Let's go spend some time together... I've always wanted to try out all the fun activities… Up until now… I've never really had the courage to visit the Spookfest Carnival… I never gave up reaching for my dreams… and now here I am… The place I've always dreamed of visiting…" His voice sounded quite calmer than before as he felt much more welcomed than when he first arrived.

"Of course! That's the purpose of the festival after all! We get to meet new friends while we make and share all the new and exciting experiences with each other!- We should stop wasting our time- Let's go!" Jack O'Lantern proudly expressed, with the same stoic grin on the same stoic face as always.

And it was that day, Phantom finally got to experience the Spookfest Carnival for the first time. They all headed towards all the fun activities, enjoying their time while the festival lasted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom