Just a Humble Dictator of Dumpsterdom
Dungeon Master
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 5:40 PM
Pronouns
He/Him
The Tree on the Hill

I was a young tree upon this hill when I witnessed the young humans run across the field in my direction. It was a bright sunny afternoon when the children raced to touch my bark to signal who the victor would be. It was a close race. The boy claimed the girl had won but I knew the true victor.

They would race to my hill nearly everyday. In my own excitement, I would cheer them on. But everytime the boy would win and the girl would be given the win. I wanted to yell out from this bark the entire truth. They could not hear it and the way the boy smiled to her, when she would celebrate. Would calm me.

Days went on as this cycle of events would happen. Till a time where they would just walk up to me. They were a little older now and had changed in a way. When I would change. I would gain more branches and more leaves. But it was much slower than the way the two children had grown.

I remember the day they carved something into my trunk. The boy had taken a dagger and carved a letter into the bark. It didn't hurt me at all.

The girl would do the same and then a shape would be carved around it. The two would then approach one another and share a kiss. The sun was setting at that time and it would outline them in beautiful orange light.

It was an early morning. Seasons later, when they met with one another. The boy wore metal upon him and seemed to look armed for battle. The girl was on the verge of tears as the boy told her of his leaving. They embraced and kissed. But soon the boy would leave back down the hill. Away from me and the girl.

Everyday only the girl would return to the tree and sit against my trunk. Always bringing a book with her.

But she would never open the book. She would only find herself sobbing. I only wished to wrap my branches around the girl and wanted to tell her everything would be alright. Tell her that I, too…missed the boy.

The girl came to me one day and cried till she had fallen asleep against my bark. In her sleep did I see the horse crest the hill. The rider approached quietly and when he removed his helmet. My heart leap for joy to see the boy had come back.

He walked up to the girl and knelt down before her. He would then say her name. Her cry and tears of joy filled my heart too with joy beyond any other feeling.

Again they were both with me once more…

Many seasons would pass and soon the boy and girl had grown again. They would visit me every now and then now. They would talk and sometimes they would be more romantically adventurous.

It was till one season came, when they carried the wooden box up the hill. The boy, now a man, helped carry the box. He looked so sad. It was set before me and I could see the girl laying within. Her vibrant smile no longer showed on her face.

They buried her at my roots and placed a bit of stone with writing I could not decipher. The wave of sadness washed over me as I finally knew that she was gone.

When the boy cried, I too cried….

It was a few days before the boy stepped foot on the hill again. He looked to be packed for a long journey. He approached the stone with the writing and began to say goodbye.

I could see the spectral image of the girl appear and wrap her arms around the boy. Pressing her face to his back. But it was if the boy had not noticed.

IMG_0612.jpeg

That was the last time I had seen the two…

I grew much older and could see my branches start to become brittle. Soon I too hoped to join the two in the afterlife.

Perhaps it was time for me to close my own eyes and let it all slip away. For I had witnessed love blossom. Not only between the two children but in my own heart.

Yes… I shall close my eyes…..

Is that laughter….

Yes…

Two hands colliding with my bark….

I open my eyes and see two more laughing and playing on the hill.

Perhaps I shall witness their story as well….

Back
Top Bottom