Challenge Submission Til the Last Petal Will Fall...

Currently reading:
Challenge Submission Til the Last Petal Will Fall...

EvangelineEverheart

Fairytale Maiden
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 9:50 AM
Pronouns
She
Wilting. Already she had begun to wither? A great sorrowed sigh fluttered through her leaves - NO!... Oh how she screamed in agony to watch yet another of her blooming petals float from her bud; velvet red dancing slowly towards the ground, as if celebrating its death. Celebrating release from this cursed existence.

She was falling to despair... just as He was falling to it. His loss of hope, her thorned cross to bear. Beneath this barren glass dome that barred her from any breeze, any warm whisper or cooling drop of rain. Sunlight did not reach through those dark clouds which had loomed since the day she was placed here. Here upon this table, upon this small overlook, the only piece untouched in the destroyed wreckage of what was once a King's chambers in a grand castle of merriment and beauty. She was trapped within these walls by this curse as much as He.

Her hold upon her petals seemed to be the only thing within these darkened halls that brought Him any solace that their cursed existence might one day be broken. That she... THEY... might be free again. How she wanted to plead with Him to hold to hope. To make Him understand it was His Humanity, His hope which kept her from wilting.

But no one could hear the cries of a rose. No matter how many petals she shed as tears to their despair, no one would understand. A curse upon his house and all who lived there... why. Why had the Enchantress cursed her as well? She longed for the sun, to grow once more in gardens upon a vine up stone walls, rather than be encased inside them. Hearing the footfalls of the one who shared her fate, she tried to glow brighter for Him, knowing he counted the petals which fell. She noticed how he always carefully tiptoed those clawed paws of His around her, low growls mourning the new loses of the day.

Every rose held its thorns, but even she believed He had been pricked too harshly with this curse. How long must this go on? she thought. A cruel trick of fate that was a careless, wrong decision to scorn a woman's heart. Of all the women He could have wronged, it had to have been one who knew magic. The enchanted rose shuddered from a tremble that ran through her stem, her petals echoing once again uncontrollably, the curse of that hag forever rooted to her being.

"A gift I offered, my fairest treasure laide before your eyes.
In pride you trampled, destroyed heart of one who would have been thy bride.

Break thy bones, on fours you'll crawl
No more shall the crowned stand tall
Blood and flesh you'll crave to maul
Nevermore to act a man with gall

Fair to behold, but a beast within, let truth be shown, nature writ pon skin!
A beast at heart, and so a beast in form, revulsion and disgust to become thy norm.

Hidden 'hind thorns and stoney walls
Abandoned to misery and to thine pall
Words and songs deaf to beastly squall
Screams to fill thine empty hall

Thine cruel heart, who hath pricked mine as a bloodied thorn upon the vine,
Take your Rose, a lesson to remind, it blooms for the Hope of waning time

When true treasure thy heart shall enthrall,
and another's gift to thine hand befall,
This curse shall shatter to true love's haul

Thine has... til the last petal will fall."

The Rose shuddered to the abhorrent curse, leaves yellowing in sickened contempt. Destined to repeat this every day, without fail... He had always heard it. That witch was long gone, having left Them in this state, both once noble beings of great beauty, now objects of dread. She longed for the days when her stems were full of blooms, when her vines were carefully pruned and lovingly spread over castle walls, offering beauty and protection as her ancestral seed first had when the stones were first set.

Through the warped glass, the Rose could sense the sadness of His eyes, the warble of His voice as He waned in His hope once more. Her leaves wished to reach out to Him, to brush through the beastly fur once magnificent princely locks in comfort. If He lifted the dome to simply take in her sweet aroma, perhaps that would cheer Him -

"Sire... there is a woman in the castle-"

Hope sprang anew inside of her enchanted glow, and she knew, a spark had been lit inside of Him. How she could feel it coursing through the viens of her stem and to the tips of her leaves, like a fountain of spring water from the highest, untouched mountains. Yes... Please. The rose whimpered within, begging to the skies where a small sliver of cloud began to part. This could not go on much longer... please... let this cursed existence be over...

~~~~~~~~~

It was over.

The skies wept, deep in their sorrows, just as the rose had wept all her petals. All... but the last.

The enchanted glow so feint now in her weakness, the last threads of life tying her to this world as her emptied bud gazed upon the dying beast. How she wanted to cry for Him. He had given His heart, His all. In the end... was it not enough? Had He to win the world's forgiveness as well? Beauty was gone, never to return... the rose had hoped against all odds the girl would see through the beast's visage, had entered her dreams to make her see the prince beneath...

All in vain. All in vain...

"Beast?! BEAST!"

Could it be?! Was it she?! Beauty who had claimed the heart of a Beast?! Oh the rose wanted to weep in her joy, but she dared not move. No, she dared not even flutter the last of her leaves, no. Cling. The rose must hold on. To this last petal. Beauty must speak her heart...

"Be...au....ty?" the rose could hear the feeble attempts of Him in his last moments of heartache, dulled animal's eyes imploring so human to the girl. "You... came... back..."

"I did- I'm so sorry beast-" the rose could hear Beauty's urgent implorings, her own impatience growing. Dammit all, lass, say the words! The petal would not hold much longer...

The rose felt her stem crack down the center. Not yet... "No... at least.... I could.... see you.... my Beauty.... one last time..." Trembling ran through the rose as the beast heaved a great, final breath- no, petal, do not fall-

"N-No! Beast, please... Please do not leave me! I -" The rose felt the petal snap at its base - "I love you, Beast!"

Slowly, ever slowly, did the rose happily wither to time, watching on as the beast gave way to the smiling countenance of a prince long forgotten as He embraced His Beauty, His true love. At last, the rose could rest... at last... they had won... and the rose smiled... 'til last petal did fall.

Back
Top Bottom