Challenge Submission To All the Dads who Went Out to Get Milk

Currently reading:
Challenge Submission To All the Dads who Went Out to Get Milk

YellowMelon

The Eternal Pig
Local time
Today 8:55 PM
It all started when my dad left to get milk…and he never came back.

Now, I know what you're thinking. Austin, he's long gone. If he really went out to get milk, he would've been back by now with a gallon of DairyPure® Whole Milk. In fact, if he loved you he would have brought TWO gallons of milk. He is never, EVER coming back.

That is where I have made it my mission to prove you wrong - to prove that all the dads who "went out to get milk" have actually been kidnapped. Where exactly are they, you ask? I have no idea, but this is where my story starts.

[Scene fades to black and reappears to show Austin, age twelve, in front of middle school lockers surrounded by several boys.]

Growing up, Austin always felt like a loner - a lone wolf, if you will. Sure, he was surrounded by people who loved and cared for him, all inviting him to parties and get-togethers, but these people weren't his friends. He couldn't trust them, not after what happened during middle school. He remembers it clearly like it was yesterday.

The dance was hosted in the gym. The lights were dimmed and glow sticks were provided. There were three teacher chaperons - two stood watch by the male and female restrooms, and one was serving refreshments, which was soda and cookies. Someone's dad was hired to be the DJ. The song which played over the speakers was a slow song. Austin, just like the other tweens, was hanging out with his at-the-time friends of the same gender. Girls to them were gross and too emotional. All of them had crushes but none of them would admit it. If you said you liked a girl, you were teased, with the exception of being in love with one girl: Violet, the popular one. In their whole grade, Violet could do no wrong. Really, she couldn't. Not only was she a genuinely pleasant person to be around, she was also a straight-A student, class president, tutor, volunteer at the food pantry, and all the teacher's liked her. It was hard to be jealous of her because she was so nice. Rumor had it that she was dating one of the jocks in their class, but no one could confirm or deny it.

Today was the day Austin was going to find out because he was going to confess to her. The dance seemed like the perfect time to do it, especially since she was standing alone in the middle of the dance floor, looking like an angel with the glowsticks she wore. When he told his friends what he was going to do, all of them laughed thinking he was joking. It wasn't until he actually stepped away from the group when one of them grabbed his shirt to pull him back.

"What are you doing? Are you insane? You're going to get turned down."

"No, I won't. I know she likes me. I can feel it."

"Seriously, don't."

Austin swatted his friends away as he approached Violet from behind. He coughed to get her attention, then tapped her shoulder when that didn't work.

"Violet," he said her name confidently, "Would you go on a date with me?"

Violet, smiling as always, looked at Austin, speaking the words which would echo in his mind forever and cause him to have nightmares. "Excuse me, but who are you?" There was no hint of sarcasm or teasing in her voice. She truly did not know who he was. At that moment, Austin imagined becoming the laughing stock. Head hung low, without saying another word, he left the gym. His so-called friends calling out after him and trying to comfort him made him feel anguish. They had to be laughing at him for being turned down. They say the worst thing someone can say is "no". This was the cherry on top. He would never live this down.

[Scene transitions to Austin, age sixteen, watching his father leave their house, exchanging goodbyes]

Four years later, at the age of sixteen, is when his dad left with a grocery list. The reason why he never returned is still unknown, but his mother was beside herself. His parents were the perfect power couple where love conquered all - quite literally. A story they liked to share was when Austin was born. After giving birth to him, his mother was having complications where the doctor didn't think she would survive. However, they say his father loved his wife so greatly he cured her. No one ever questioned this story, not even Austin. So, it didn't make sense why his father, who said he would run into a burning building to save his wife, would use milk as an excuse to leave her.

With his mom overcome with depression, Austin became the man of the house. The only problem was it was too traumatic for him to buy whole milk, so he would buy almond milk instead and further disappoint his mother. This continued on for two more years until his birthday. After a third year without a father figure in his life and buying his own cake, he decided he's had it. He would go and search for his lost father. He's wanted to ever since he was sixteen but like a good son he chose to comfort his mother. No more. He believed his father had actually made it to the supermarket, so he would go there.

11:00 PM: Austin grabbed the car keys shared between his mom and him to drive to the supermarket down the street. As he passed his mom's bedroom, he could hear her usual weeping, crying out for her husband to return. Don't worry, mom, I'll bring him back.

Parking in the empty parking lot because the supermarket hours were 9 AM-9 PM, Austin walked up to the entrance of the building. He brought his face to the glass door, squinting. All the lights were off except…the lights to the milk aisle against the back of the store! He pulled at the handle. It was unlocked. Huh? Why is it unlocked at this hour? Are they restocking? Quietly, he took a step inside, softly closing the door behind him.

"Hello?" He called out. The only response was his own echo of hellos.

Slowly, Austin started to make his way to where the light source came from. When he finally stood in front of the milk coolers, he smelt something that made his nose crinkle. It was a smell he knew. The smell of expired milk. He continued to sniff the air and followed his nose to pinpoint the location.

Here, there was a gap from a missing gallon of DairyPure® Whole Milk.

"Hello?" He called out, peering through the gap to look into the room behind the coolers. This time the response was a deep, heavy breathing and a chorus of "Help us!" Austin couldn't separate the voices but heard at least three different pitches, which meant at least three people were there. However, none of them had taken the deep breaths.

Austin started removing the milk from the shelves to open the gap. The distance between the shelves was a big enough space for him to pull himself through. "Stop!" The eighteen-year-old froze mid-milk removal. "He can hear you." Someone whispered.

He was now staring into the eyes of what could only be described as a cow monster, an anthropomorphic Holstein Friesian bull. It was without pupils and had clouded lenses. Its pink muzzle poked through the opening and touched Austin's hand. He held his breath. It let out a resounding Moooo, then turned away. The sound of hooves clopping on the floor soon became a distant noise. The monster was still present in the room but it wasn't close by.

Quickly, Austin pulled himself through the shelves and exited from the other side. What he saw, and stepped on, appalled him. Not only was he surrounded by spoiled milk chunks, making him repress a gag, but in front of him were five men blindfolded by cheesecloth and bound to chairs made of plastic milk jugs. He recognized all of them.

"Mr. Jones? Is that you?" He approached the tallest individual with widened eyes.

"Yes, it's me."

"Your daughter, Amelia, she thinks you're dead. Her mom told her so when you left-"

"And never came back." Mr. Jones cut Austin off to finish the sentence, sadness in his voice.

"And Mr. Wilson!"

"Quiet down, boy."

"It's been a year since you left. I can't believe you're here."

"Neither can we." The voice of his father hung in the air.

"Dad?"

"Yes, Austin."

"Y-you didn't leave!" Austin felt tears welled up inside him with the realization that he was in the presence of his father.

"No, I didn't. I was always here. We were always here. Please, you have to help us."

"B-but I don't understand. How could all of you be here yet not be noticed?"

"We'll have to explain later, kid." Mr. Wilson spoke quickly. "But you need to stop that monster - that thing."

"How do I do that?"

As if sensing their plotting, the cow monster returned from the walk it took, eyes now glowing with milk dripping from them. All of the dads gasped at the sounds it made. It no longer moo'ed, it repeated Milk.

Milkk. Milkkk. Milkkkk.

"IT DRANK MILK!" The dads exclaimed in unison, fear deep in their voice.

"You have to defeat him, son!" His own dad yelled. 'You're The Chosen One! Pick up the chocolate milk and fight him!"

Austin didn't have time to ask questions. He found himself picking up a half gallon of TruMoo Lowfat Chocolate Milk. This was his story. As he locked his eyes on the bipedal cow, he took a step forward, uncapped the milk jug, and, in a swift motion, tossed the liquid at it. This is where his hero syndrome would start.

"THIS ISN'T MY END, JUST MY BEGINNING!" He confidently announced right before he charged at the cow….

[Screen rolls to credits, to be continued...]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom