Coffee & Books
Staff member
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 9:20 AM
Pronouns
He/Him
A Inner Sanctum Exlusive..jpg
This is the world thread for an active story. All information provided in this world thread is free to use. If you see something you like you are welcome to use it.
⚠️Thumbnails are used in this thread (This can slow your phone down.)

Please note that this is a work of fiction. Names, Characters, Places, and incidents are either the products of our imagination or fictitiously presented.
Any relations to real life or real people are completely by coincidence and can be removed and edited as necessary.

The Mist Story Thread

The World

R-removebg-preview.png

The year was 2022 and the date was April 2nd​. Until this point, the world had progressed exactly as our world progressed today. On that fateful day, however, everything changed. Unbeknown to the citizens living in America a chemical attack on an apocalyptic scale was about to take place.
"Not with a bang but a whimper, will the world end." T.S. Eliot

It isn't clear who initiated the attack but what is clear was the coordination it took was formed over decades. Every state simultaneously had silently been attacked. Each agent or person who took part in the attack was either a sleeper agent or loyalist who dedicated themselves so fully to the cause that death was unavoidable. And so, with a whimper, multiple gases no larger than a handheld can of hairspray were set off.

This chemical immediately reacted to the environment around it, expanding exponentially until it enveloped the entirety of the United States and perhaps more. While it is unknown what the chemical was it is believed that its reaction was to the natural resource of water. Causing it to grow, expand, and seek out more sources until eventually, a thick Mist covered everything.

Rumors formed that the Government had sought out bunkers and shelters in hopes to avoid the mass spread attack. However, it has never been confirmed if this is true.
The CDC immediately went into lockdown and because of the nature of this chemical, no information was provided by them after this.

Then there was nothing. The world as we knew it ended and what was left behind was a hellscape beyond imagination.

The Mist
e65b5d6050b64c35bd1b9321e2451c29.jpg

The chemical makeup of the Mist is unknown. The effects, however, were catastrophic on a global scale.

These effects could vary from person to person and the infected were not required to inhale the Mist, though this would increase the speed at which it infected its host. Any contact with the skin, eyes, or otherwise would result in infection.

During the day the Mist has been known to thicken. At these stages, it is considered two times as potent as it would normally be. Effectively doubling the destructive nature of its infection. At night it thins weakening the effects but making them no less dangerous. Why this phenomenon occurs is unknown.

The known effects of the Mist are as follows.
Early stages
of the mist will cause Nausea, Dizziness, Light-headedness, Headaches, Blackouts, Increased Paranoia, Hallucinations, Panic Attacks, and Lowered Inhibitions.
Prolonged effects of the Mist can cause open insanity, Inability to form logical thoughts, unable to understand basic speech. Violent and extreme bouts of rage. Insatiable hunger includes but is not limited to cannibalism, Uncontrollable carnal lust, and the need to procreate.

The infected are unable to distinguish themselves from the uninfected and will react similarly to any subject who garners their attention showing no signs of coordination or grouping mentalities.
One infected host is just as likely to attack another as they are an uninfected host they see no difference.

These effects are known to fade if prolonged exposure can be avoided. The Mist has a noticeable noxious scent that is reminiscent of stale water and rotting fish.

There is an additional phenomenon that has happened which is in particular areas are completely avoided by the Mist itself. Blocked off as if a wall was erected to stop it. While these areas are few and far between, they do exist, and it is unknown why the Mist does not penetrate their boundaries.

((Unknown survivor from the Mist.))
"I noticed a breakdown in reality. It started with small things at first, stuff you could laugh off, smells, a few shadows, strange dreams, and sounds. But then it got much worse."
"Daylight at night, Darkness at noon, Crops didn't grow, or became too poisonous to eat, Rain began to fall upward."

"I suddenly started seeing from my hands and smelling from my eyes, At times I forgot I even had either. Then I lost my mind, I wasn't able to think straight at all. The very notion of logical thought was strange to me. I couldn't even remember what it was like to think or understand. Animals have more common sense than I did."

"Nothing you imagine will have any correspondence to anything within you or without you. There will hardly be a, you at all. You have no idea how much you take for granted in life until you exist in a world where there is no such thing as cause and effect. Where there is no space and no time."

((Subject Died 1 hour after statement.))

The Electromagnetic Effects of Mist
emp.jpg
Another disturbance caused by the Mist is a universal Electromagnetic Pulse or EMP. This field absolutely coincides with the Mist and maintains its presence while the Mist lingers. This interference effectively switches off any circuit that requires a current. Making electronics and most other things inoperable.

NPC's
The format used for NPCs will be universal and any and all NPCs presented are welcome to be incorporated into other stories.

(Thumbnail Image)
Name:
Height:
Weight:
Eyes:
Hair:
Notes/Personality:

((ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL BE ADDED AS IT IS LEARNED.))

Delilah.jpeg
Name: Delilah
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 150lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Dirty Blonde

Notes/Personality: Casual boxer
Outside the Mist: Masked low self-esteem, married to a cheating husband, deep anger issues that were contained through her boxing hobby
In the Mist:
- Day Time: Extremely violent, primary weapon is a metal bat, prefers to stay in the mist, manipulative
- Night Time: Emotionally unstable, toys with prior or existing relationships between people

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom