Both Needed Dark Pillars (re-opened)

Currently reading:
Both Needed Dark Pillars (re-opened)

Laughingstokk

Knight
Local time
Today 8:44 AM
The ships had appeared in the middle of the night. Twenty seven large masses of black metal loomed in orbit above earth which were so massive they could be seen with the naked eye from the ground, as massive black slices out of the otherwise normal blue sky. The places where the sun was eclipsed by their forms had shadows which were unnaturally pitch black, and became known by different names all over the world. The gates of hell, Agujero Del Diablo (the Devil's hole), Tártaros, the list is seemingly infinite on social media. They are eerily silent despite their ominous names, and most governments simply refer to them as restricted zones to undercut the panic. For months people were left to theorize on the purpose of the presumed extraterrestrials arrival. Then suddenly one day, all at once, all the personnel immediately around the restricted zones were killed instantly. Every single one dropped dead soundlessly, and lay there for three days. The cities which had districts engulfed in the blackness were completely evacuated after this, and in one of the few cases of good foresight by world leaders, many lives were saved. The bodies of the men and women whom were guarding or researching the areas for the sake of humanity had risen to walk their bunkers once again. They did not go out of their abodes to terrorize the living, however, as so many fans of supernatural fiction insisted was going to happen. There was even a short lived petition to carpet bomb the locations the bodies were in as a preventative measure. Perhaps they should have.

On the hundred and twenty first day of arrival, three days after the death of the frontline workers and defense, the bodies rose up and walked into the veil of darkness. Pillars of the unknown in the most literal sense. They have not been seen since. Twelve hours later, the beasts came out to play. All manor of slithering, slimy, crawling, creeping things arose from the darkness as if they were birthed from the shadow-casting satellites. If their features could be attributed to any of the carbon based life forms of earth, they would be; eels, octopi, squid, worms, slugs, starfish, or other similar invertebrates. They were all painted in a cumulative grayscale of color, or lack thereof. Most were black of skin, with the much larger ones the size of houses being at lightest a wet pavement gray. These were the servants of darkness sent forth by the invaders to clean the earth of humanity and all other organic life it seemed, which they did with a cold efficiency. Without so much of a hint as to why we carbon based life forms had to die. It took months for the remaining scientists of earth to figure out how to damage these specimen, let alone what they were. Probably because all the top minds had been completely obliterated in what seemed to be an incredibly insightful first strike.

The united states brought every member of their armed forces home to combat this enemy. Every other global threat seemed to pale in comparison, and rightly so. Conflicts between nations quite literally went dark. Farming and infrastructure became the most important economic projects on the planet, as if they weren't already. Massive underground railways were constructed, the remaining small outposts of culture and our old way of life became fortresses with walls the likes of which had never been conceived. Humanity's numbers dropped by seventy five percent, but it held steadily at that number and we were able to draw our cards close to our chest and reset our position in this siege of our planet. Outside our outposts became wasteland, but stranger things happened to the landscape. Seemingly biological structures were formed by the attacking beings. Eventually their forms almost resembled castles with ramparts and towers reaching far higher than any skyscraper which has ever been constructed. Scouting drones over the areas saw activity which confused their observers. Some of the bodies of the people who had been killed were carted like royalty on the backs of their otherworldly beasts to their newly constructed homes. Their own generals and governors had seemingly moved into place, and now the real war can begin.

A special compound known as C4L56-5 seems to disrupt the beings molecular structure, reducing them to mush. It behaves much like a space age polymer, as light as plastic but far stronger than steel. The difficulty of it's manufacture, however, makes it's usefulness somewhat in question. Many people believe we should only be focusing our funds on defense, building our walls thicker and our cannons larger. Simply cling to the last bit of ground we have left and ensure we never come face to face with the sentience which has invaded our world. Those with political power and their military counterparts unanimously disagree. So, while they keep the public calm with continued security and new construction to create artificial islands to ship hordes of citizens far away form the currently completely grounded threat, they are also pouring all of their collective resources into a culmination of all military science. Robotics, genetic manipulation, perfectly designed training, strategy, and technological science all converging on a single team of super soldiers meant to spearhead our side of the war. Is it enough? This remains to be seen.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello everyone. I've met a few partners on here I'm happy to be involved with, but this specific project is meant to target those who like slow burn story telling coupled with mystery and a sense that your character is not totally safe in their role as a super-human meant to save humanity. I won't be outright killing anyone (Unless you're cool with that,) but we are definitely going to fight quite a few losing battles. As such, if you're the type to play an adventure which goes perfectly the whole time: This one's not for you.

Originally I was going to put this up as a 1v1 rp, but I can never bring myself to do that. It's just such a shame to only have two moving parts to a story, when bringing in the creativity of others is the whole reason why I'm here. That being said, I'm only going for a very tight knit-group of engaging and descriptive writers to do the existential horror genre justice. I'd prefer you be able to write at least two good paragraphs, or ten sentences per post. I won't exactly be counting your actual posts when we start, but I am going to require an rp sample before we get going to ensure I don't get all excited to start and get disappointed when we aren't on the same page. So, write me a few paragraphs on any topic whatsoever and if I like your writing style, I'll like it and you're in. I'm only going to be accepting two members this way, and the first two who post that way and receive a like will get the spots. This means you shouldn't be discouraged if someone else says they're interested, as they won't officially be accepted until this happens. And in the event I get quite a few good writers interested I could be persuaded to add more people, but tentatively. I really would rather write a few chapters worth of content with two writers rather than have it die off in three posts with five, ya dig? Only trying to prevent this with my audition method, not hurt anyone's self esteem.

As far as characters go, I'm thinking most would have to have a history with the military or even as a mercenary or spy. Enhanced in any scyfy cyberpunk way you can think of, just in case you'd like your writing sample to involve a character you had in mind.

Inspirations: God Eater, Alien: Isolation, Mass Effect, The Zurg from Starcraft, Assassination classroom (as far as the special plastic which is the only compound that damages the aliens besides giant explosions.)

As I was reading the fourth paragraph I was thinking "This is giving me some God Eater vibes." Look further down and yep there it is along with Assassination Classroom, nice. As you can see I'm a weeb. ^^;

As I was reading the fourth paragraph I was thinking "This is giving me some God Eater vibes." Look further down and yep there it is along with Assassination Classroom, nice. As you can see I'm a weeb. ^^;
Me as well lol. Is it giving you any character ideas? Its god eater with a bit more sentience in it's enemies and les uniformity between our weapons and characters. Also if you have any rps or something similar you are proud of im open to you just linking those for examples of your writing style

Me as well lol. Is it giving you any character ideas? Its god eater with a bit more sentience in it's enemies and les uniformity between our weapons and characters. Also if you have any rps or something similar you are proud of im open to you just linking those for examples of your writing style

For this I was thinking of a guy that's similar to Soma but not in personality of course. I had been wanting to incorporate the idea of a character that can wield a chainsaw sword but it's a dual-bladed weapon that can detach and function as individual swords if that makes sense. Of course with the various enhancements with the super soldier program he'd be able to wield it easily but I'm rambling a bit even though I haven't been accepted.

As for my writing examples I don't have that many roleplays written out on this site yet, but yeah I can grab a post and PM you.

For this I was thinking of a guy that's similar to Soma but not in personality of course. I had been wanting to incorporate the idea of a character that can wield a chainsaw sword but it's a dual-bladed weapon that can detach and function as individual swords if that makes sense. Of course with the various enhancements with the super soldier program he'd be able to wield it easily but I'm rambling a bit even though I haven't been accepted.

As for my writing examples I don't have that many roleplays written out on this site yet, but yeah I can grab a post and PM you.

I liked how much you had written for the internal workings of your character and their motives in that sample. Cool stuff. You've got your spot.

@Sanity43217 and assuming you have a good word count and descriptive terms on your sample we should be ready to get up and running friends. I'll make a character sheet just after you're done.

1611371478507.jpeg Kyllen's body hit the side of the concrete post. Bullets slammed into the other side, a few skimmed past, wizzing past where he was previously standing. His finger came up to the side of his head his head, activating his comm unit. "You said this was a simple in and out." The annoyance evident in his voice. It was a simple brief.The Ivory Shark Clan had taken some Corpo exec's daughter. Dealing with a small gang would normally have been an easy gig. The Corp would have had handled it internally. Except the Exec wanted to make an example. So he hired Kyllen. A fourth generation Bio-Technical Soldier. He was expecting an easy in, and out. Clear out The Ivory Shark Clan and get the Daughter.

"You don't get paid for simple, Warlock." A voice responded over his comm. Kyllen hated when his employer was right. Bio-Technicals were becoming rarer and rarer. Given the time and money that went into creating them, barely any were made after Gen 2. Which made a Gen 4 a very valuable tool to own. The downside was Kyllen didn't want to be owned. Which meant he was freelancing. So while he could whatever job he wanted, he had no safety net, but a lot of debt. Implants were expensive.
He was already a payment behind. One more and they send Repo Men. He had seen what's left after they turn up. Husks of a body, stripped of CyberWare and BioWare.
Now wasn't the time to think about that though. He was on a job. A job that paid well enough to keep him alive for the next two months at least.
Deactivating his Comm, he unholstered his HKXM 30. A modular assault rifle. With an under slung shotgun and grenade launcher. "You have ten seconds to surrender and let the girl go, and some of you may live." Kyllen called out as he loaded a smoke grenade into the underslung launcher. The resounding noise of gunfire peppering the post he was behind ceased as the gangsters stopped firing to laugh. From their point of view, they had all the cards. A hostage. One man against six. Three of whom were carrying LMGs to keep him pinned behind cover. However their mistake was not taking into account Kyllen was a professional. Switching on his weapons smart link, he fired the smoke grenade straight into the ground at his feet. Stepping out from behind cover in the cloud of smoke, during the lull in gunfire gave Warlock the chance to fire a guided burst. All three rounds found their mark, and the first Gangster with an LMG hit the ground.
All hell broke loose as the others started firing. Warlock spun back behind the concrete post. The old warehouse ringing with the sound of gunfire. Stepping out from the other side he fired again. The second gunman hit the ground. Kyllen back behind his post, which was starting to look a little worse for wear. The whole incident only took about five seconds. "Five more seconds." He said as he loaded a second smoke grenade.

@VampireSunset @Sanity43217 I think we're going to have quite a bit of fun with this. We'll use this as a CS thread and you should both expect a PM from me for the sake of OOC chat so we can plan some stuff. Until then:

Name:
Natural Abilities: (Anime natural, lol.)
Augmentations: (No holds barred, though nothing which can warp space time or create black holes. Believable, but not realistic.)
Equipment: (At least one weapon made of C4L56-5 though things like explosives or lasers could be effective as well, to a lesser degree. The special weaponry can be virtually anything, from rounds for a regular gun to a giant blade. I'm even open to a gundam but only about two stories high max. Up to you two.)
Bio: (As lengthy as you want, but I'm only worried about how your character was recruited to save humanity with our squad. Anyone middle aged would have been in high school when the aliens arrived.)

(My own coming soon.)

Name: Garrett Jameson
Personality: Garrett is a very task oriented individual, growing very agitated when things don't go according to plan. More specifically, his plans. The unexpected is an unwelcome occurrence, but not one which cannot be handled with efficiency all the same. It is this pointed direction and clear thinking which has him appointed as the tactician of the group, aided by his powerful teammates whom are very capable themselves. He knows this, and trusts them to execute the operations without a second thought.
Natural Abilities: Garrett is not naturally physically gifted, and has had to work very hard to build what muscle and fighting prowess he does posses. He has decent conditioning and strength, but Jiu Jitsu and push ups only minimally raise that bar of effectiveness given the nature of his enemy. He is, however, quick thinking and an incredible marksman.
Augmentations: Garrett is the ultimate scout. His cybernetic enhancements include telescopic vision, as well as microscopic. He can see in infrared and ultraviolet, as well as in the heat spectrum. He has hydraulic limbs and joints which allow him temporary bursts of strength and speed. He could jump a few stories in a single bound or dash four hundred meters in a few seconds. It is somewhat hard to be precise with these movements, however.
Equipment: A single katana-style longsword of 34.5 inches, made of C4L56-5.

The model XRS7 Combat vest is one of Garrett's own design. It has miniature rocket boosters on the back capable of further aiding it's users speed and jump height/arc. It's plasma caster rests bhind the user's left shoulder when active. It is capable of a single large plasma ball or a burst fire of eight small ones.

The launcher can also be detached and flown remotely as a drone, it being controlled from a chip in Garrett's brain. It can observe and send a video feed back to Garrett, as well as fire independently of his orders.

Bio: Garrett was not alive when the Aliens landed, his mother pregnant at the time. He was raised within the walled cities of america, and was brought up in the special agent training programs meant specifically to combat this threat. His augmentations were created with the perfect scout and team handler in mind. He provides support, flanking potential, as well as observation and communications completely naturally. When hand picked for the Spear Head Project, he jumped at the chance.

(Forgive me if it's sparse, I'm simply ready to start and feel I provided plenty of backstory in the original post to tie into my character's own. I don't expect you all to provide any more than this.)

Last edited:
I think I got the overall feel for what my character will be for this, I just need to make his personality more concrete as well as his backstory.

Name: Broderick Roberts, Brody, Codename: Stein
Personality: Brody for the most part is a quiet, easy going young man that mostly observes all that happens around him and does as instructed without fail. Out on the battlefield however, Brody is not unlike a wild beast, he'll still listen to orders however even though it seems like he's too focused on engaging the enemy. When not deployed on combat operations he has limited freedom to the base, only allowed his room and a portion of the base where he may choose to roam. He is not allowed to do so without being watched via guard all of this was because of his sudden outbursts of anger which is suspected to be a side effect from one of the serums. Despite his usual calm behavior the higherups still seem like they have a hard time trusting him.
Natural Abilities: Brody wasn't always as physically gifted as he is today, before he enlisted he participated in many sports and recreational activities during his youth which was the catalyst for his extraordinary strength. Continuous exercise and training allowed for him to lift heavier objects from cars, trucks and storage containers. He's an excellent swordsman, experienced hand to hand combatant and has a sharp eye for any materials that may seem useful for the future.
Augmentations: Brody does not have that many augmentations to begin with, his most useful one is a special fluid that secretes from his pores upon oxidizing turns into a mist like vapor. This vapor is able to cover an area within minutes and is useful for stealth operations or teammates to use for cover, but with the chip implanted in his brain he can change the composition of it, making it toxic or venomous, the only other augmentations were biological due to his enlistment in the super soldier program, injected with serums that not only magnified his strength but durability as well. Brody is the very definition of 'slow but powerful' those that underestimate him do so at their own peril.
Equipment: A dual-bladed electric chainsaw of 80.4 inches made of C4L56-5, chains and hooks also composed of C4L56-5, KBP LPO-97 grenade launcher modified to the shape of a sawed off shotgun releasing high explosive rounds capable of decimating streets, and a mask that's able to see the inner workings of technology which also has a built in heat sensor. All weapons were made to Brody's convenience due to Brody's stature.
Bio: Before Brody was recruited into the very organization, fighting for survival against the otherworldly beings and before he even enlisted in the military it wouldn't be too farfetched to label him as a nobody. He was born to a mother that shortly died after giving birth to him when rescued from outside the walls of America, with no idea who or where his father is so with nowhere to go he was taken into a foster family and would grow under the care of his foster parent Annette Roberts. As a child during the time there wasn't too much to do other than be good and do as you're told, but they were still allowed to play things that were considered recreational activities. Some of these activities were a bit strenuous and required a lot of physical effort, along with chores around the house which of course made her count on him to do a lot of those chores along with a few other errands. It was then that Brody felt stuck or rather aimless, sure he liked taking care of people as well as being of use to the ones he cared for...but he didn't feel as though it was enough, like he had to do what he could to make sure that this type of peace within the walls wasn't taken away from people that felt the same as him. That was when it was suggested that he joined the arm forces by a friend of his. Brody was against the idea of violence in the first place due to his upbringing with Anette who was a sweet woman that cared for her children with as much love as she could muster, but he was willing to throw that aside in the face of the beasts they fought against day in and day out, which was much similar to his training necessary for survival out on the field. After a few months of his enlistment it was Brody that was selected for the super soldier program due to his impressive records both physically and level headed mentality. The process was for lack of a better word...painful, he was injected with various syringes sealed within a capsule while they listed off the number of substances which he in no way could not understand as he wasn't exactly the brightest when it came to science plus the pain that ate away at his mind during the time was all that was there. After a number of tests that resulted in fantastic results, Brody was deployed on his first assignment which he and four other members were assigned a search and retrieval mission of a comm unit from another team stationed within the outskirts forming intel on the enemy. It had been one week since they reported back in and so they were prepared for the worst upon their arrival. And the worst was surely there. What they found was a nest of the enemy snarling over what remained of the other squadron, thus began the fight for their lives. The numbers were piling on and stamina was dwindling at a rapid pace to the point where three of his squad mates lost their lives in the process, Brody tore through as many as he possibly could before grabbing the device as well as his last remaining teammate who lost both their legs from one of the beasts attacks before calling for an extraction after hiding. It was the first time that Brody had seen such brutality towards others and he was remorseful of not being able to save his teammates He knew exactly that this was the environment that he needed to get used to, hell, he knew this was what he was getting into the moment he enlisted...but it was still hard to swallow. Afterwards Brody was assigned on more termination missions and less retrieval due to his high damage capability, from those missions he received numerous scars and bruises despite his high durability which served as a reminder that he was still human. There were those that enjoyed having Brody with them on missions but because of his rage they could not help but be wary of his presence which may have deterred others from working with him any longer whether if be fear or distrust. It was then that Brody received word that he would be working with seasoned squad mates that the higher ups thought they would form a rather interesting dynamic and would be sure to be perfectly rational when working with the giant, which makes him wonder who exactly these people were.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom