Challenge Submission Down goes the mouse

Currently reading:
Challenge Submission Down goes the mouse

WINTER. THE WORST SEASON OF THE YEAR.

It was always best to find a house to take shelter in, but you had to be careful about which house you chose. Usually, the bigger ones meant more food and plenty of places to hide from the big, two-legged creatures that roamed around.

The others called them humans.

They were disgusting, vile creatures. Many of us had died because of them. They set traps, and sometimes they went to great lengths to poison our food supplies.

What kind of sick creature did that?

“Brother, I’m cold. Have you found shelter?”

“Be patient, Sister. We need to find a home we can live in forever.”

“I’m sure any place will be fine. Why don’t you let me pick the home, Brother? Please?”

“No! Sister, you’re not nearly responsible enough. Please, just follow me, and no more squeaks out of you.”

“You’re always telling me what to do, and I’m sick of it. I can think for myself, and it’s about time I lent a paw to the decision-making, too, Brother. Now I’m going to pick the home we will live in.”

She ran off so quickly that he barely had time to get a squeak out before she disappeared.

Running toward the nearest home she could see, she paid no attention to her surroundings. When it came to looking for a home, you always had to check the windows. They could tell you a lot about what was inside.

You could see the humans walking around, but most importantly, you could spot the hairy, four-legged creatures that stayed low to the ground or watched the area from some fuzzy tower.

“Sister, stop! That house has a tower in the window!”

It was already too late.

She slipped through the gap beneath the door. The only thing he could do was run after her, already fearing the worst.

Following her through the door, he entered a large, open room with two open doors and a table.

“Sister, where are you?”

“I’m over here, Brother! In this long room!”

He followed her voice into a long, narrow hallway.

“Are you all right, Sister? Don’t ever run off by yourself. Something could have happened to you.”

“I’m sorry, Brother, but we need to leave as soon as possible. There is a four-legged creature here. I saw it walking around.”

Suddenly, a furry black creature turned the corner and came face-to-face with them.

“Hiss. Well, well. I thought I heard some annoying squeaks in here.”

The cat stared at both of them, its eyes narrowing.

“I would say tonight is my lucky night. My pets just gave me a nice can of wet food, and now I get to feast on two mice.”

“Please, no! Forgive us, and let my sister and me go. We’ll leave immediately.”

“Hiss. No! You broke into my home, and you deserve a punishment.”

The hissing slowly turned into a low meow.

“But at least I’m rather full from dinner, so I think I’ll just eat one of you.”

The cat smiled at them, almost happily.

“I’ll give you to the count of three... One... Three.”

It deliberately skipped two before pouncing toward the brother.

As the cat attacked, both mice managed to escape by running in opposite directions. That didn't stop the cat from quickly turning and going after the brother.

“Hiss. It’s you I want. I can already tell you’re an easy target.”

The cat swiped its claws toward the mouse, slashing his side and drawing out a loud squeak. The pain slowed him down considerably.

“Sister, go! Leave me and don’t look back!”

“Don’t worry. I’ll leave your sister alone if she goes now. Besides, the slow ones are the best ones to play with.”

The cat grabbed the mouse with one paw and tossed him into the other, nicking him with its claws. It repeated the motion several times while the poor, mangled mouse cried out in pain.

“You might want to leave, Sister Mouse. You won’t want to see what’s about to happen.”

“Hiss. Hiss. Hiss.”

The cat’s hisses sounded almost like a chuckle.

“Brother...? Are you okay? Brother?”

There was no answer.

She wasn't thinking when she stepped a few paces closer to the creature. She just wanted to try to help him.

“Brother, I’m so sorry. I should have listened to you. I was stupid to think I could do this. You always knew better than me, and now I’m the reason you’re dead.”

“Fine. Have it your way,” the cat said.

It bit down on the mouse's neck, which it held firmly between its paws. Then it began chasing the sister, the dying mouse dangling from its mouth.

She was terrified.

She didn't want to die.

She ran as fast as she could, tears filling her eyes.

As she fled the house, she couldn't help but look back.

The cat was still standing there, staring at her.

Her brother hung lifelessly from its mouth.

SQUEAK.
 
Back
Top Bottom