♔ Champion ♔ Eldritch Bluff — September 2026 Challenge Winner

Currently reading:
♔ Champion ♔ Eldritch Bluff — September 2026 Challenge Winner

Keir Heartmoor

Serf
♔ Champion ♔
Local time
Today 8:18 PM
Messages
4
Age
39
Location
West Coast
Pronouns
He/Him/His
“This all I need?”

The dirty teenager, barely eighteen, stared at the spinning talisman, eyes ravenous.

“Yes, this will constitute our contract, and I will be your patron.”

Across the table, a well-dressed man with angular features returned the eager stare with a knowing smile.

The young man licked his lips, fingers twitching. He reached down to his belt pouch and produced the ruby he had lifted earlier that day. The would-be patron took it with a widening grin, then dropped the talisman into the boy’s open palm.

“Excellent find. You have a good eye. I would have expected someone else your age to bring me worthless glass. And I always honor my agreements. The gem for a piece of my power.”

The street kid slipped the artifact’s leather braiding over a mop of greasy hair, letting it come to rest against his exposed ribs beneath his ill-fitting tunic.

“You must keep that with you at all times,” the stranger instructed. “Until you master your new bond, the magic will only work while you wear the talisman.”

The lad nodded solemnly, then brightened. “You say my first power will be to go unseen, yes?”

The man leaned back, fingers steepled. “Naturally, who will stop you when you can pass by unseen? And, as your talents grow, we will find work worthy of your development. You’ll do more than scrape by on trifles.”

Rubbing the charm, the teen asked, “Can I test it? I want to see!”

The stranger’s eyes shone. “Be warned, young man, you are an infant among the masters. Your power is limited. Your flesh will fade from sight, but alas, your magic cannot conceal your attire; it will remain in view of others.”

The merchant rose to his feet, nearly a foot taller than the young man. He rummaged through the back of his wagon and pulled out a standing mirror, angling it toward the lad.

“Now, concentrate. Will yourself to be unseen.”

The youth closed his eyes and thought as hard as he could. A moment later, he grunted involuntarily, and the dandy said, “Now look.”

He opened his eyes and looked into the mirror, half expecting to see his pimple-riddled face and scarred features. Instead, he saw only the loose tunic and undersized pants floating before the wooden wagon. No body in sight. He gasped.

“It works! Ya can’t see me!”

“Of course. But mind, the power lasts one hour and only once a day. You cannot use it again until the morrow. That works out for us both. I desire something else. Think of it as your first opportunity to practice your power.”

The young man switched his gaze from the mirror back to the other man.

“Inside Sonny’s gambling hall vault, a gem recently changed hands after a bad bet. Retrieve that gem for me tomorrow, and I will happily speed up your growth.”

“It’s done!” The urchin bounced in his seat. “I know where he keeps his goods, and me tools are more than good enough to get past that lock.”

The merchant waited. “Your tools?”

“Yeah, I took em from me dead master; he had some real good ones. Strong. I reckon I can use them to open almost anything.”

“How will you get your tools inside?”

“Well, I will carry them, of course.”

“Only the body,” the man said.

The youth paused; a cold realization hit him.

“The tools… they’ll be like my clothes, won’t they?”

“That is correct. Nothing you carry on your body will be hidden.”

“But I need me picks to get past their locks. How’ll I get them inside if they ain’t hidden too?”

A shrug. “I’m sure a clever fellow like you has ways to stow contraband where others would not think to search.”

The young man’s face briefly betrayed his discomfort, but the promise of power pushed back his reservations: No more nights sleeping with an empty belly and no more ducking the fists of larger street kids. “Yeah, there’s ways. I’ll get this gem. Same time tomorrow?”

“Same time tomorrow, right here,” the patron answered with a greedy smile. “Bring me my prize, and I will grant you more power.”

Practically bounding from his seat, the teenager thanked his new master profusely and scurried off toward his back-alley camp. That night, he dreamt of respect. Meanwhile, the stranger packed up his camp while whistling a cheerful little tune. He pocketed the ruby with a toothy grin and set out into the night.

All day, the talisman hung heavily on the youth’sneck. Fear prickled him, but the excitement won out. Tonight, he would prove himself capable and worthy of further training. Early the next evening, the young thief slipped into the alley behind the card-den, glancing around to make sure the road was clear. Hands trembling, he quickly stripped off his clothes, leaving just the talisman. He picked up his leather-wrapped tools coated in animal lard and shivered. He hesitated. Hunger pangs made the decision for him. A low whimper escaped his lips as he finished hiding the tools; the discomfort made it hard to concentrate.

Quietly, he forced the back window with an improvised tool he'd brought until the stubborn latch gave way. He dropped into the kitchen, blessedly unoccupied.

Perfect.

He slipped through the door, padded across the open corridor toward the opposite stairwell, and prepared to sneak past the gaming hall. He wiped sweat from his brow and took a deep breath, afraid his breathing would betray his presence despite the raucous noise drifting from the room into the hallway. Excitement tingled in his chest; he’d never felt so invincible. Confident, he started across the open threshold and wondered what his next power would be.

The conversations stopped.

The thief looked into the room and froze.

Around more than a dozen tables, hardened men covered in tattoos and scars stared into the hallway, their cards forgotten. There, a naked man stood, one foot raised midstep; he met the eyes of those closest and then understood.

He’d never been invisible. He was utterly exposed.

His vision blurred. The seconds dragged on until the treacherous gurgling of his gut broke the still. A spasm, and then the leather case with his tools slid free of its hiding place and landed with a wet, heavy thud on the floorboards, its echo reaching beyond the next room.

Meanwhile, in another town miles from the last, a campsite with tables and chairs invited passersby with a little sign advertising Items of Wonder. The dapper gentleman made the final adjustments to his tunic using a standing mirror whose glass reflected nothing but the clothes he wore. Satisfied, he stole a glance at a small chest overflowing with gems and jewelry, a ruby resting atop the pile, and licked his lips. From the road, a scraggly urchin in ratty clothes approached, a finger firmly in his nose. The boy smiled, revealing several missing teeth. With a quick flick of his wrist, the merchant snapped the chest shut and plucked an identical talisman from a full burlap sack he'd taken the night before.

He approached the boy and flashed a toothy, devilish grin.

“Young man, I see great potential in you. How would you like to become a Warlock with the power to take anything you want?”

The boy sat up, his curiosity piqued. The man leaned forward into the lantern light, his face dramatically lit.

“How’s that, sir?”

“Why, with this talisman, you will have a piece of my power, and with it the chance to become something greater.”

The youth sat up taller. “That all I need?”

“Absolutely. But first, I need you to perform a service for me…”

End.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom