All Expanding Kushiel's Redemption

Blackstone

Duke
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 1:26 AM
Pronouns
He/Him
I am Blackstone, a prolific writer here on the Sanctum. For those do not know me, feel free to click on my profile. I am an open book, as it were. One of my long term writing efforts here along with @A. Shadow Dweller is Kushiel's Redemption, an alternative, low magic historical fiction in a setting which is a bit of a mashup between the heights of the Renaissance and Enlightenment historical periods as far as technology and culture. For writing samples and a peek at the world we are playing in, please click on the following link to Kushiel's Redemption.

The setting is from the bestselling and award winning Kushiel Legacy and Naamah Trilogy by the author Jacqueline Caery. Kushiel's Redemption follows the events surrounding two pairs of characters. Nathaniel de Wintre nó Mandrake and Aurore de Morhban, and Artur de Morhban and his wife, Marguerite Shahrizhai né Morhban. There are other characters a part of this story I want to explore, but to ask Shadow to take on more than two characters is being uncharitable of me. So I am looking for writers who fancy a challenge in a story where events influence the events in other stories as well as tell plots of their own with plot, drama, character development as well as perhaps a smattering of mature content..

If you are not familiar with the series, do not be afraid. If you are knowledgeable in either Renaissance or Enlightenment periods of history, the main differences you will have is with different names of geographical, historical, and religion. A. Shadow Dweller was not familiar with the setting at all but you would not know it at all with her writing. I am more than willing to assist and I would never come down upon you or criticize for a mistake. I often will give OOC background on background information to give context for you for the scene in question.

I do encourage initiative, as A. Shadow Dweller has done often. I am not a strict follower of canon. Indeed the story of Kushiel's Redemption is a break in canon as only the events from the first six books which make up Kushiel's Legacy (Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen, Kushiel's Avatar, Kushiel's Scion, Kushiel's Justice, and Kushiel's Mercy). The story in Kushiel's Redemption does not take into account any events at all from Caery's Naamah Trilogy. Now, onto the characters.

Taken: Kushiel's Temptation
Florentin de la Courcel: Third born child and brother to the current Queen. He was given to the Cassiline Brotherhood, a warrior monk order dedicated to defending the scions of the great houses. Before he could take his vows and ordained into the Brotherhood, he was recalled by his sister and made to break with the Brotherhood. He becomes the Captain of the Royal Guard, the Sword of House Courcel. The Cassiline Brotherhood is a unique in d'Angeline culture in it is a celibate order. Now he is free from those vows, and the shrewd houses at court see him as a ripe bird to pluck and manipulate and marry into the royal house of the realm.

Romantic Interest

Violette nó Dahlia de la Coucel de Barthelme: Former courtesan of the Night Court of Blooming Flowers, House Dahlia. She is from a cadet branch of house Courcel, and a very distant cousin of the current House Royale. She inherits her title as the Duchesse de Barthelme when her brother perishes of the sweating sickness (influenza). As a courtesan while she was not a regular practitioner of Naamah's sharper arts, she did upon occasion wield the whip as well as kneel before her patrons. Now her eye has fallen upon the newly arrived Prince Florentin and the unique challenge he represents, having been guided to him by the Queen's closest confidant, Aurore de Morhban.

The next pairing is: Kushiel's Retribution

Decimus nó Fiers Correlia- Decimus was born to a former Mandrake courtesan, Alessandra de Basilisque nó Mandrake. She was the acknowledge consort of Danielle de Fiers, royal ambassador toTiberium. Danielle wanted children, but could not have any on her own due to an old injury when she was but a child. Alessandra underwent the fertility ritual, and began to court notable nobility of Tiberium. She settled on senator Titus Aquitana. He was unaware of the pregnancy. Alessadra had a difficult birth, and perished weeks later from infection post pregnancy. Danielle adopted Decimus, but the grief of loosing her love was too great. She died of a broken heart later, and her family did not accept Decimus. They left him in Tiberium after they collect Danielle's body.

Decimus grew up on the streets, and attempted to rob the wrong mark Bastion Correlia. When Bastion recognized Decimus' d'Angeline's heritage, he instead took him under his wing. He raised and trained the boy, and it was there Decimus unknowingly met his half brother, Marcus Aquitana. Both trained together in a sword method which earned him banishment from the Cassline Brotherhood. Together the two became some of the most skilled swordsmen in Tiberium Both of them attended the University, and it was there the two would meet the woman to catch both of their attention. Decimus was willing to step aside, but Marcus was enraged by what he considered a deep betrayal. The two fought, and were so evenly matched in order to preserve his life, he was forced to kill him.

Knowing Tiberium justice would always side with a family as powerful as the Aquitanas, Decimus fled. He arrived in the land of his mother's birth, and with a token from House Mandrake as his only possession, appeared before the Dowayne of the House, Bridgette nó Mandrake. He first was member of the Mandrake house guard, but began to make a name for himself of sorting out and solving crimes. He also was more than fair in acquiring information. In a few short years, he started his own tavern in Night's Doorstep, where he not only became one of the leading information brokers in the City, but also in secret, an inquisitor for the Queen.

Romantic interest
Your Character-
She is the woman whom both Decimus and Marcus became in conflict over. How did she handle the death of Marcus. Does she blame Decimus, or understood he had no other choice. In this series, in a very rare progressive move, Tiberium names your character to the post of Ambassador to Terre d'Ange. However, there are plots against both of them as no one should underestimate the reach, and wrath, of a Tiberium senator determined to make all those responsible for the death of his son pay. The name of your character and family is completely up to you. Think of the time period of the Borgias and the big Italian families of that time period and the twist and turn, alliances and backstabbing they did of one another. I think this story had some wide role play and story telling range for both of us.

Those are the ideas. I hope any of these tickle people's interest as these are characters who deserve their own center stage treatment and become a part of the larger story which is Kushiel's Redemption.

Respectfully,

Blackstone

Last edited:
I am still looking to write about the third character in the Kushiel saga I have ben crafting and story building here on Inner Sanctum. Decimus nó Fiers Correlia is a different character than Artur, Floretine, and Nathaniel. If any of you have watched the wonderful series Versailes, the character is very loosely based on Fabin Marhal portrayed wonderfully by Tygh Runyan. In what I am proposing he would be much more behind the scenes. Think if Terre d'Ange had an MI-5, then Decimus would be a member. The story will delve into political and criminal intrigue, perhaps more than the other stories.

I do see the story having three phases or parts, two of which our characters which our characters would be in the same setting, one of which they would not but I would not leave your character hanging and provide much intrigue for it. The one main plot line for the second act is your character part of the movement to gain women more rights and recognition in Tiberium, which would dove tail into part three where your character is named Tiberium's ambassador to Terre d'Ange, if for nothing more than to get her out of Tiberium. I see this story being a mix of the intrigues which made the shows like the Borgias and Versalies so popular and engaging, as well tie into the over arching plot which is present in Kushiel's Redemption and Kushiel's Temptation.

If you would like the challenge of writing a page or more responses, of having a detailed setting with rounded characters and NPC's, then go ahead and read some of Kushiel's Redemption and Kushiel's Temptation (links above in original post). See if you like the quality of writing and drop me a DM. I can assure you behavior in chatroom is not representative at all when I am writing with someone. If you do not believe me, ask any of my writing partners here on IS. A. Shadow Dweller, Princess Kairalie, Ipsie, LeatrixSage, bluBubbles, MissMonkey, Enkil, Heather, to name but a few. My purpose being here is bringing stories to life both myself and my writing partners enjoy. What do you have to loose?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom