Sheriff
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 2:22 PM
Pronouns
Imp
FADE IN:

INTERROGATION ROOM - AFTERNOON

Quiet and empty room save for the lone woman seated at the table in the center, ABIGAIL (27), her gaze the type of weariness you'd find with people who live in the darker aspects of life.

From the door entered DETECTIVE MASTERS (48) who took a seat before ABIGAIL studying her for the moment.

DETECTIVE MASTERS
How long have you had suspicions about your husband?​

ABIGAIL shrugged her shoulders.

ABIGAIL
The only suspicions I've had about my husband were adultery not murder!​

MASTERS nooded.

DETECTIVE MASTERS
Well.. it was that assumption that got you where you are. Talk to me.​

ABIGAIL looked up to MASTERS.

ABIGAIL
Many nights I would wake to nurture our newborn to find my husband was not home. He was a professor at the community college, so, I assumed this was just another late night 'grading tests and whatnot.' Same old song and dance with him. I simply got fed up and took matters into my own hands. I had a tracking device installed on his vehicle. I wanted some peace in mind.​

SCENE FADES TO A FLASHBACK OPENING TO THE ABANDONED CHURCH THE NIGHT BEFORE

ABIGAIL can be seen entering through the front doors of the church that were left ajar.

ABIGAIL
The tracker took me to this old church in the old part of town. I could tell it was abandoned from the boarded up windows. When inside I wandered around not sure what I was exactly looking for but it found me. Down below in a morgue like room was where I found him..
ABIGAIL was standing in the door way of the room in which she found her husband. He was towered over a naked female, a scalpel in his hand. From where she was standing it was hard to make out what he was doing though it was obvious.

ABIGAIL
I observed for a moment but my heart couldn't take anymore.. I grabbed a nearby plank that was against the wall and used my foot to rattle the entry table to knock over the vase atop it.
ABIGAIL'S husband was startled by the noise and approached the door. When her husband neared ABIGAIL swung the plank with all the strength she could muster which met with his face and knocked him to the floor. ABIGAIL would bring the plank back and swing it again and again, a few times before she was out of breath and could no more. ABIGAIL'S husband lied motionless on the ground, clearly he had been knocked out or dead which was what she hoped for.

ABIGAIL
After I had him on the ground and was certain that he was down for the count I used what supplies were left around me to tie him up. I bounded his hands and feet and attached him to one of the steels poles that held the place up. And then I turned to her..
ABIGAIL hesitantly approached the female that laid lifeless or so she thought on a gurney. Her wrists and ankles, violet from abrasions and bound on all sides. Etched across her chest were the words MY ANGEL. ABIGAIL threw her hand across her mouth with a gasp.

FLASHBACK ENDS AND SCENE OPENS BACK TO THE INTERROGATION ROOM

ABIGAIL'S eyes were watered but she kept her composure to finish the story.

ABIGAIL
It.. It was the most horrifying thing I ever seen and I couldn't help but blame myself for what happened to her. At first, I wasn't going to touch her but I saw her eyes flutter open and she started to panic. Then I stepped forward hushing her and stroking her hair. Telling her that she was safe now and that I had stopped the man that put her here. After she was calm I called it in. The police showed up and from there it has been nothing but a blur. I haven't been able to sleep. Eat.
Tears rolled down ABIGAIL'S cheeks, clearly, she was eaten up by anxiety and continuing on would bring nothing but the water works. MASTERS stands and rounds the table to rub a comforting hand along ABIGAIL'S back.

MASTERS
Shh.. The hard part is over now. You saved a girl's life last night and others that would fall victim to him too. You see? Anybody has the strength to do what you have and not many has. That's because they don't understand that not all heroes have to be in suit. A cape even. They just need to stand brave.

FADE OUT

Back
Top Bottom