Both Needed Group For Fantasy Epic (massive world, deep lore, Lovecraftian & Giger-esque inspirations & MORE)

Currently reading:
Both Needed Group For Fantasy Epic (massive world, deep lore, Lovecraftian & Giger-esque inspirations & MORE)

Local time
Today 7:57 AM
Hey, how ya doin'? You look good today. Can you see my eyebrows? They're about as high as eyebrows get, that means I'm for serious. You know who you are.

I love you

Anyway

Post apocalyptic industrial dark fantasy, with Lovecraftian and Giger-esque inspirations for both creatures and hellscapes, as well as occasional and mysterious sci-fi tones. If that sounds interesting then keep reading, otherwise I don't think this is for you but you're also free to keep reading if you want. It's a free country. At least my country is and this is my post so.. You're a free human being in this thread.

I have tried this before but that doesn't really matter unless you happen to recognize me. I believe I am ready, with (maybe) a small amount of help, to host the roleplay I have always wanted to be a part of and I am here looking for people who have a similar enough mind to my own that we can make something cool.

There's some details to get past, but not too much as I don't want to jump the gun. In the interest of organization I'll list it all out in parts, complete with spoilers and a few lines of red words that offer some clarity on what I just said because I'm just that fucking nice. It's not as complicated as it looks, I promise.

You don't really need to read it in any order, but you probably should read them in the order they're listed.
If you really want to get right into the story and world then look at "Basic Story & Where We Fit In." But you should read all of this at some point.

(Also expect parenthesis. And parenthesis inside of parenthesis.)

This is just to weed out the people who want this from the people who want something else. It's a bit long, but also necessary so that everyone involved is on, more or less, the same page and we can better create something cool together. It gets serious because I want to do this right, but I'm really not that much of a hardass.

If you don't want to do all that reading, then the bottom line is: Don't be a dick, don't derail the topic with your wiggly bits and your emotions, be some-what literate, read my shit, (including all of this eventually) commit to the roleplay and don't take everything too seriously.

Number Two (2) is crossed out because that point is currently moot as I do not have a flood of new-comers to roleplaying. If that changes in the future I will remove that strike but for as long as it is there Number Two does not exist as a requirement.

1. You are required to be mature (respectful and understanding of others) and accept that this is my story and you are a part of it. As far as where the story should go I will take suggestions and I love building the roleplay with the players, but don't try to change the lore to fit your image. Don't invent things that don't/shouldn't exist. Not with this roleplay, not without consulting me.
If you really think your new idea fits with the lore, or is good in general, then don't be afraid to pitch the idea to me, just don't throw it in without any warning.

2. You are required to be proficient in roleplaying, that is knowing the basics of threads, where to post and how to interact in a multi-person story. You don't need to be all that great, only competent. In short, this (probably) should not be your first roleplay ever. I'm willing to work with people to an extent, but too many brand new players and I wind up being a teacher and not a story-teller.
In my experience it's not uncommon to read a roleplay's replies for a while and then try to join once you have a feel for how it works, if you're dead set on it being your first roleplay.

3. You are required to be semi-literate. Make sure your spelling and grammar are legible and have as few problems as you can fix but above all else make absolutely certain that what you write has substance. I don't care if you write three sentences or five paragraphs just make sure it actually adds something and try to strive for a paragraph each post.
I do understand writers block and the occasional slow pace. I will be doing my job to make sure it flows, but I cannot work for every player. If you want to be part of something good then you need to provide something good.

4. You are required to read a decent amount. I am a writer and this is a near and dear world to me, I have a lot to write. Not as much as others, but definitely more than some. I don't care if you keep up with me in your own writing, but you do need to read what I write if you want to keep up with the roleplay.

5. You are NOT required to be completely serious. The roleplay will be much more serious than most, but even in there a little humor is good when well-timed and often subtle. If you've got bad timing then keep your humor to the OOC but in the OOC is exactly where my serious demeanor disappears. Whatever there is right now.

6. You are required to commit. The acception to this is if you plan on your character only having a small part, that way I can plan around that as well as everyone else. If life gets in the way then what can we do? I'll leave your character's demise open, unless you want them dead (which is also reversible...) but otherwise don't join unless you can commit.
I try to keep players open in general, but if you just leave for weeks at a time without saying a word then nobody has time for you. Let us know, if you can.

7. You are required to accept STORY over SMUT. I've had serious issues with this in the past, and it's not that romance or even good old carnal fucking won't ever happen but if it does I expect it to take a back seat.

The name is A History of The Dark War, but you can just call it Dark War (which incidentally is actually a name of another series)

The Dark War is a several-thousand year period of Human history in which we battled a formless consciousness that came to us from somewhere far, far beyond anything we know. In the beginning this living force of nature, known as The Darkness, took the Earth almost immediately. Corrupted, twisted abominations of varying intelligence laid waste to all Humanity's defenses within days and the last Humans were either hidden away deep inside the Earth or had reverted to nomadic tribes in order to survive.

They lived like that for six-hundred years until a man who called himself Alistair Salem came, claiming no memories but a background in something ancient and powerful. He found one of these nomadic tribes and gave them history, mythology, legends from old to inspire them. He led them through battle and eventually figured out a secret to gaining a foothold over The Darkness. The same dark energy that corrupted Humans and turned them into foul abominations could also be resisted and if resisted one would awaken as something much more than Human. With this secret Alistair and these Humans created the first Nephilim, named after heroes of legend told by Alistair to these ancient Humans, and the true fight against Darkness began.

For the next fourteen-hundred years the Nephilim cut a bloody path through the physical forces of The Darkness and established protective shrines and Monasteries to help defend Humanity from the rest of The Darkness' corruptive power. Where they went, more Humans followed and many joined the ranks of the inhuman Nephilim to enter the fray and create homes for civilization to restart.

The roleplay, and main story of A History of The Dark War, takes place roughly two-thousand years after the beginning of the Dark War. After an odd period of almost peace that lasted for a few-hundred years. The Nephilim numbers have dwindled somewhat, as the price for gaining that power is too much for someone hoping to live a normal life and with the immediate threat of The Darkness seemingly gone fewer people feel the need to sacrifice everything. Industry has returned and while Humanity is still very technologically inferior to its ancestors it does have basic luxuries such as electricity in some areas, basic motor-vehicles and even guns. Many of the settlements around Nephilim Monasteries have grown into full cities and there is a feeling of safety behind the massive walls, though it may only be an illusion and the roads are still very dangerous.

But everything is, of course, not as it seems. Prophets in the Nephilim Monasteries whisper of a changing in the energies around us all. Some have gone completely mad with horrible visions, eventually losing their voice as well as their minds. Roaming Nephilim are becoming far more aggressive, the burning rage festering inside of them all has grown and threatens to turn Humanity's heroes against them. Among these oddities is something more, something... Much more strange.

Many Prophets, Nephilim, even people without a magical talent or connection with the Darkness, have randomly had the same dream with no obvious connection between eachother. A person, sometimes a man sometimes a woman, who always seems to be out of focus regardless of distance or lighting. Nobody can make out what they look like, but everyone who has the dream has heard the ominous words.

"See the mountains? They're moving now."​

What this figure is trying to tell so many people of the Earth may just stop a turning point in the Dark War and may just save mankind from the most powerful threat they've yet faced. But the phenomenon is new, news has not traveled fast or far and finding answers could take far more time than Humanity has left.

For the most part this is going to play out like a standard roleplay, I don't want to make people adapt to my style. That having been said I have added a little something to sort of spice things up. I call them events, which is pretty self-explanatory, but there are a few different kind of events.

1. World events, which I will announce in the main thread as a separate post. They'll usually be done in a paragraph or two but occasionally they could be quick actions such as "A fiery shower erupts over The Rocky Settlement." They affect the entire world and every player in the roleplay at least notices it, unless for some reason they're simply too far away (which I don't foresee happening, but it's entirely possible.)

2. Player events, which I will either message to an individual player or tag them in the OOC chat (I haven't decided yet). These will usually be short posts such as things like "That grate you saw seems to have been moved recently." These depend entirely on what I know of your character as you've played them.

3. Group events, which will be announced in either the main thread or OOC topic (again, undecided) and are a lot like world events, but on a much smaller scale. These will vary depending on how many people join the roleplay. Assuming there's enough for there to be multiple groups, these will be focused on those people and not the entire player-base - Unless others happen across the situation in their own story.

The story will begin after a short prologue, which will be a slightly expanded version of the above story, and then a short paragraph or two setting up the beginning area(s) and then it will simply start. I will be subtly directing it, sometimes less subtly than others, but it will at least appear to be largely open if not actually be open for large parts of the story.
If player-interaction is carrying the story, then I'll leave it entirely open, but if it starts to lack or if player-interaction derails the story then I'll come back in and get it back onto the right track

Much of the story and how it will play out will be simply reacting to certain world events and at times it won't even appear to have a story until someone "happens across" (read: is [subtly] directed to) some random plot point and everything comes together.

As for things like posting order, etiquette, rules, in-depth lore, and more of the general story, I'll wait until we have a better sense of who's playing and how many people there are, that way we can figure it out in a way that works for everyone and so as to not completely overwhelm everyone right through the door.
It's better if you're gradually exposed to this.

Also I just want you to know that I use Garry's Mod and GIMP to make some (actually decent-looking) images that aren't exactly representations of the world in this roleplay, but they do happen to be heavily inspired by the world in this roleplay. So if you wanna see some shit then pop over to my dick pics thread.
WARNING: no actual dick pics.

Last edited:
So it probably looks like I just fucked off again, don't it?

Well I did!

Actually no I didn't, I'm really just silently lurking and waiting. But I feel like there's a bit more I can do while I do that and so to do what I can do I will do the do.

This will be updated periodically, sometimes I'll update it in between 15 minutes and sometimes it'll be a few days, but it will be updated fairly-frequently.

A History of The Dark War (Or Dark War for short, not to be confused with Darkwar) is very dark fantasy with inspirations from Conan and old-school RPG worlds. Geiger and Lovecraft make a beautiful clash in this world where Lovecraftian spatial entities invade from unknown worlds and creatures that would give Geiger nightmares roam the Earth. Amidst that chaos and terror, the world is a beautiful and enchanting place with forests of iridescent plantlife, raging thunderstorms that illuminate for miles, and things I haven't found words to describe yet.

In Dark War our world was a real place that existed some 2,000 years ago. The world that was decimated by the Darkness was a futuristic world, although not too much further into the future than our own and that world has its own stories (that I'm writing) that we just won't talk about here however I will say one thing about them; Ancient aliens are a thing in said stories and play a (mostly) minor role in A History of The Dark War.

Everything is corrupted in some way by the shapeless thing that is called the Darkness. The physical manifestations of the Darkness appear primarily as creatures straight out of the fever dreams of H.P. Lovecraft and H.R. Giger but its influence also changes the laws of reality and the very soil beneath your feet. I don't really have words to explain the Darkness adequately, but if I had to I would ask that you imagine a simple concept such as a law of physics, and apply some kind of consciousness with the same intelligence and drive as, say, a bug and then add the ability to make its "will" incarnate. In this roleplay you will never directly face the Darkness, nor will you even speak with it or interact with it directly. It is a force of nature and not a character.

Because of the way the world is, the bleakness of it all, the constant struggles for survival against literal nightmares and even against our own hostile Earth itself, almost everyone (if not everyone) is some kind of crazy, some kind of weird or otherwise out of place (compared to life as we know it in the real world) but in Dark War a lot of these oddities are largely unnoticed. They're just part of the world now. This probably makes perfect sense to you, but if it doesn't then feel free to ask me to elaborate.

Last edited:
I don't care if it's 2017 or 2050, if I don't personally say that I'm not looking then I am still looking.

If this looks like something you're interested in, reply to this thread!

Yeah I'm interested too, lol, looks like the poor bastard started his search a year and a half too early

I'm a bit interested, and probably have a character too, who could possibly go crazy trying to "connect" to the darkness, which will be fun, won't it?

Back
Top Bottom