Unspecified Looking for a committed, literate partner

Currently reading:
Unspecified Looking for a committed, literate partner

Nathan Davis

Knight
Local time
Today 4:49 AM
So, the never-ending search for a partner continues. I've been writing and roleplaying online for many years. My preferred genre is Fantasy of one sort or another, but I also enjoy Sci-fi on occasion. I prefer quality over quantity; I post three or four paragraphs (at least) once a week, sometimes more, and I put a lot of time and effort into my posts. Please be 21+; it just feels odd to RP with people who are over a decade younger than me, sorry. I write exclusively in the past tense from the third-person limited perspective and require my partner to do the same. I DO NOT care what gender my partner plays. My goal is to write thrilling adventures, not scintillating romances. While I realize this makes me a bit of an outlier in the RP community, it would be nice to find a partner with similar priorities. I also love to draw and have created a great deal of concept art to be used in our adventures. I'll post some of my artwork and a sample of my writing.

I just need to mention a few things that drive me crazy when I'm RPing with a partner:
  • Sentence fragments
  • Tense switching
  • Run-on sentences (periods are your friend).
I don't expect perfection, but I'm looking for a literate partner with a solid understanding of English spelling and Grammar (I use the Grammarly app, for what it's worth). I also require my partner to choose a realistic face claim (I will do the same). Artbreeder is a great resource for creating original character portraits.

A number of plots and settings have been brewing in the back of my mind for some time. I love crafting story elements with my partner and we can discuss/modify any of these in greater detail OOC.

Original Plots:
  • A psychic, hermit, and practitioner of the arcane arts (my character) recently discovered a large meteorite several miles from his hearth. After months of studying the stone, he's learned that it's, in fact, the prison of an ancient and powerful devil. My character intends to transport the stone to a distant shrine and destroy it. To this end, he has hired a skilled mercenary (your character) to assist him on his journey. Shortly before our party reaches its destination, we're attacked by a band of cultists and the devil within the stone intervenes on its own behalf, magically teleporting our characters to wastelands of hell itself.
  • A psychic (my character) has been betrayed by his coven. His former coven has devoted itself to a demonic force with its leader serving as the demon's mortal host. Narrowly escaping the covens wrath, MC disappeared into the unfamiliar cityscape. Soon after, a sorceress from a distant land began speaking to him through his dreams, claiming her coven has likewise fallen to corruption. My character books passage aboard a large vessel in order to meet this sorceress in person: a vessel which your character is also aboard. This vessel is attacked by a monstrous sea monster and our journey takes an unexpected turn.
  • A schism has erupted within an ancient order of mystics. These mystics, one of which is my character, live for hundreds of years, entering into dream-like trances within which they tend to powers keeping otherworldly forces at bay. Another order of elite guardians, to which your character belongs, was established alongside these mystics. The purpose of this order is twofold: protect the dreaming mystics and put them down should they fall to corruption. Several of the mystics have betrayed the order, turning to Lichdom and allying themselves with a powerful devil. These liches now launch an assault on the mystics' hidden sanctuary and we must defend it.
Original Settings (all light-magic fantasy):
  • Medieval Western Europe
  • Medieval Eastern Europe
  • Victorian England
  • Renaissance Europe
  • Medieval Persia
  • Ancient North Africa
  • 1700s West Africa
  • Ancient China
  • Feudal Japan
Fandom Settings:
  • Penny Dreadful
  • Castlevania
  • Diablo
  • Witcher
  • Bloodborne
  • Grim Dawn
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Starcraft
  • Xmen
  • Jade Empire
I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Morcant knelt beside the corpse and collected a piece of talc from his rucksack. Ancient spells ushered from his lips as he drew a circle around the body. It was strange that the rotting slab before him, so harmless and decomposed, was once the most dangerous thief in Vogos. Nothing remained of him but his legacy of pain. He recalled Judoc's words. Death, time; these were the true gods of heaven and earth, and it was through their power that the vanity of man's pursuits was laid bare for all to see.

"Anala...Sabtain...Mithrakas…'' Each syllable echoed on the cold wind. An earthy aroma filled the Morcant's nostrils, like that of a spring forest, moments before a storm. It was the Anem Cira, or 'soul spark' as it was known in the common tongue: the veil between the Ghost Land and the corporeal world growing thinner with each word the Skinwalker uttered. He pulled a sharpened ceremonial blade, thin and needle-like from a leather sheath upon his ankle and pitched it high above the sternum of the rotting corpse. With all the force he could muster, he drove the blade into the center of its chest, twisting it back and forth until an audible crack relieved the pressure beneath him. A puff of noxious odor spewed from the freshly formed cavity. Morcant's eyes welled up with tears as he retched. He'd only invoked Albiach Cineadhia on three prior occasions, and never on a corpse so late into decomposition. Under the tutelage of Judoc, he had performed many spells and rituals that required dabbling in the macabre. He'd grown accustomed to writing in the blood of goats, horses, and men, and creating salves and elixirs from the organs of all manner of vermin. But no invocation had thus far required him to work with a specimen so repugnant.

"Vamarus...Danir…" Vitality and form abandoned the surrounding greenery, leaving behind a ring of withered husks. From the Ghost Land energy flooded into the corporeal world unabated, creating a subtle humming in the air. Morcant lowered his hands deep into the corpse's cavity and tore what little remained of the heart from the side of its ribcage. Maggots buried beneath the fleshy surface wriggled to and fro. He felt a lukewarm mixture of stale water and bodily fluids trickle down his arm and soak his plain linen shirt. Fighting back the impulse to vomit, he gripped the heart firmly in his hand and elevated it into the air. "Sabnatha…"

His eyes turned black as smoke. Blurred images, one after the other flashed before him in his mind's eye, each accompanied by a prickling pain that began at the base of his spine and rushed throughout the length of his torso like a surge of electricity. Clad in scanty sienna gowns, three women with locks of auburn danced around the post to which he was bound. Their lithe bodies moved in unison as though they were of a single mind. He did not recognize the curious tongue in which they spoke. The coarse and raspy tones of their voices resembled those, not of fair maidens, but demons; a tri-tonal, guttural retching that Morcant wouldn't soon forget. The tallest of the three slowly approached him like a dancer in a city brothel, her hips swaying from side to side and a coy, yet malevolent smile upon her lips. She arched her spine, pressed herself against him and purred quietly as a placated cat. Her teeth were sharp as arrowheads and the smell of rancid meat was heavy upon her breath. She slipped her hand beneath her garments and gently caressed the teat of her breast. Her eyes rolled with pleasure into the back of her head, her mouth barely ajar. A dark, virescent fluid soaked through the thin garment covering her bosom and trailed down the pale flesh of her breasts. With stained fingertips, she softly caressed Morcant's jawline.

"Do you thirst, child?" the woman whispered gently into his ear. Her words devolved into a low-pitched cachinnation as she forced her fingers between his lips. A caustic, acrid flavor overwhelmed him. His mouth began to swelter, as though he were cradling a lump of smoldering coal upon the rear of his tongue. The sensation spread to the lining of his throat: a dry, torrid tingle that crept along his trachea and constricted his airways. As he struggled in vain for faded breath, he heard Dyana's voice in the peripheries of his mind, calling to him with an air of desperation he'd yet to perceive in the ranger's self-assured voice.

"Morcant...wake up!"

Hope to hear from some of you!

Last edited:
Hey Nathan I just joined this community today and would love to partner up with you for a Roleplay! Just a little background on myself, I'm an avid roleplayer that is starting to get back into it after several years away. I'm 31 and used to RP heavily on the WoW RP Board back in the day, and then moved to private RP forums with a large group of people I had met through the WoW forums. Various life events forced me away from writing for a while and I've unfortunately lost touch with all of my previous RP companions, so I've been looking for a new community to join. I consider myself an intermediate/advanced RPer and also tend to write longer. well thought-out posts. I love fantasy and am probably most comfortable with that, but I'm really open to any settings or style as long as it gets the creative juices flowing! Here is a little writing sample for myself as well:

The room had the faint spirit of The Bastille. The walls were made of coarse stone and reinforced with iron, accoutered with tear-like deposits of limescale and rust. Across from the door was a barred window that provided an unenthusiastic view of the adjacent port facility. A portable fan rattled in symphonic unison with the jingling water pipes overhead, distilling the tension that was coiled in Justino Mancini's stomach. The Italian aid worker was seated in front of a featureless wooden table; his hands were deeply rooted in his jacket pocket and it was all he could do to keep from pacing.

It had only been a day since his meeting with Jean Gaudet and their mutual decision to bring aid into the Interior by land. That gave plenty of time for news of their exposed mission to be hastily passed from gendarme to inspecteur and an arrest warrant from inspecteur to gendarme. Of course that could simply be the imagination of a confused Justino run astray, but that still begged the question: why was he here?

No less than thirty minutes passed before the door opened and a khaki-colored gendarme dressed in the careless fashion of Venda's military stepped into the room. His features were hidden beneath a thick beard and mustache, although Justino could see the hard and unfriendly creases around his eyes. He sat across from the Italian, nursing a MAS-36 rifle in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other (two things the gendarmes seemed to have in limitless supply).

"Nous savons de vous," he said crassly between eager sips of brew. When Justino didn't respond, the uniformed man cleared his throat and spoke with an accented but intelligible English, "English, then? Damn foreigners, you come here, you know the language!" The Italian wasn't foolish to point out the irony and kept silent. "We know of you," the gendarme reiterated, translating his previous statement.

The tension that had been coiled in Justino's stomach sent an electric jolt to his heart, forcing his heartbeat into his throat. "What is that supposed to mean?" His voice was steady despite the nervous tingling of his skin. We know of you. That could mean a number of things. Unfortunately for Justino, most of them were bad.

The officer laid his gun on the table and held his cup with both hands. "We have news from our campatriotes in the république that you've been traveling our coast, providing medical relief to the coloniales. You are au fait in medicine? A docteur?"

Justino replied, "Was, a doctor. I was… relieved of duty, a few years ago." The Italian was hesitant to speak too much or too little of his past; it all depended on how much they already knew.

"What for?" Justino cursed under his breath. Either they had no idea or they were treating him to see if he'd tell the truth. Without pretense, however, it was impossible to tell. The gendarme's tone was equally ambiguous and conveyed little more than an instinctual distaste for foreigners of any kind.

The Red Cross leaned forward in his chair, feigning a comfortable yet respectable confidence. "I was found guilty of accepting bribes from pharmaceutical companies in exchange for endorsing and administering their drugs." Justino sighed, "One of my patients died from an overdose on medicine he didn't need, the hospital got curious, and…" Justino motioned around the room, as if that would fill in the blank.

"Bien fait!" The gendarme exclaimed with a type of complaisant excitement, clapping the table and laughing. "You are a rotten salopard, Monsieur Mancini!" He smiled and set his coffee down, extending a hand across the table. "Emile Chaffee." Justino accepted the unexpected gesture calmly, feeling more at ease. Whatever the reason for him being here, he was becoming more confident it wasn't because he was going to be arrested. "Quite a story, Monsieur, although in truth we are less interested in your past than in your future. The république is in need of docteurs and we-"

Justino cut him off before he could finish, "Excuse me, Emile, but I am here with the Red Cross, to provide aide to the colonials, not to Venda's-"

It was Emile's turn to intercept, although he did so with less tact or apology. "I should remind you, Monsieur, that this is a dangerous place for foreigners in your position. Aid workers, even from the Red Cross, have been claimed as victims of many a hostile government. A docteur of the république, however, even a foreign one, has certain protections." It sounded more like a threat than an offer, and although the gendarme was still talking as if Justino had a choice, the Italian realized the truth of it.

Before Justino had a chance to answer, the door swung inward and another gendarme stepped in. "Appel téléphonique, pour l'étranger," he said to Emille, portraying a familiar derisiveness for foreigners in the process.

"You've a phone call, Monsieur," Emille reported as he stood up, leaving his empty coffee cup on the table. "I trust you will give our offer some thought. We'll talk soon." He absently fingered the trigger of his gun as he nodded and left the room, sending Justino a small but vibrant warning.

Let me know if you'd like to work on something together!

Hey Nathan I just joined this community today and would love to partner up with you for a Roleplay! Just a little background on myself, I'm an avid roleplayer that is starting to get back into it after several years away. I'm 31 and used to RP heavily on the WoW RP Board back in the day, and then moved to private RP forums with a large group of people I had met through the WoW forums. Various life events forced me away from writing for a while and I've unfortunately lost touch with all of my previous RP companions, so I've been looking for a new community to join. I consider myself an intermediate/advanced RPer and also tend to write longer. well thought-out posts. I love fantasy and am probably most comfortable with that, but I'm really open to any settings or style as long as it gets the creative juices flowing! Here is a little writing sample for myself as well:

The room had the faint spirit of The Bastille. The walls were made of coarse stone and reinforced with iron, accoutered with tear-like deposits of limescale and rust. Across from the door was a barred window that provided an unenthusiastic view of the adjacent port facility. A portable fan rattled in symphonic unison with the jingling water pipes overhead, distilling the tension that was coiled in Justino Mancini's stomach. The Italian aid worker was seated in front of a featureless wooden table; his hands were deeply rooted in his jacket pocket and it was all he could do to keep from pacing.

It had only been a day since his meeting with Jean Gaudet and their mutual decision to bring aid into the Interior by land. That gave plenty of time for news of their exposed mission to be hastily passed from gendarme to inspecteur and an arrest warrant from inspecteur to gendarme. Of course that could simply be the imagination of a confused Justino run astray, but that still begged the question: why was he here?

No less than thirty minutes passed before the door opened and a khaki-colored gendarme dressed in the careless fashion of Venda's military stepped into the room. His features were hidden beneath a thick beard and mustache, although Justino could see the hard and unfriendly creases around his eyes. He sat across from the Italian, nursing a MAS-36 rifle in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other (two things the gendarmes seemed to have in limitless supply).

"Nous savons de vous," he said crassly between eager sips of brew. When Justino didn't respond, the uniformed man cleared his throat and spoke with an accented but intelligible English, "English, then? Damn foreigners, you come here, you know the language!" The Italian wasn't foolish to point out the irony and kept silent. "We know of you," the gendarme reiterated, translating his previous statement.

The tension that had been coiled in Justino's stomach sent an electric jolt to his heart, forcing his heartbeat into his throat. "What is that supposed to mean?" His voice was steady despite the nervous tingling of his skin. We know of you. That could mean a number of things. Unfortunately for Justino, most of them were bad.

The officer laid his gun on the table and held his cup with both hands. "We have news from our campatriotes in the république that you've been traveling our coast, providing medical relief to the coloniales. You are au fait in medicine? A docteur?"

Justino replied, "Was, a doctor. I was… relieved of duty, a few years ago." The Italian was hesitant to speak too much or too little of his past; it all depended on how much they already knew.

"What for?" Justino cursed under his breath. Either they had no idea or they were treating him to see if he'd tell the truth. Without pretense, however, it was impossible to tell. The gendarme's tone was equally ambiguous and conveyed little more than an instinctual distaste for foreigners of any kind.

The Red Cross leaned forward in his chair, feigning a comfortable yet respectable confidence. "I was found guilty of accepting bribes from pharmaceutical companies in exchange for endorsing and administering their drugs." Justino sighed, "One of my patients died from an overdose on medicine he didn't need, the hospital got curious, and…" Justino motioned around the room, as if that would fill in the blank.

"Bien fait!" The gendarme exclaimed with a type of complaisant excitement, clapping the table and laughing. "You are a rotten salopard, Monsieur Mancini!" He smiled and set his coffee down, extending a hand across the table. "Emile Chaffee." Justino accepted the unexpected gesture calmly, feeling more at ease. Whatever the reason for him being here, he was becoming more confident it wasn't because he was going to be arrested. "Quite a story, Monsieur, although in truth we are less interested in your past than in your future. The république is in need of docteurs and we-"

Justino cut him off before he could finish, "Excuse me, Emile, but I am here with the Red Cross, to provide aide to the colonials, not to Venda's-"

It was Emile's turn to intercept, although he did so with less tact or apology. "I should remind you, Monsieur, that this is a dangerous place for foreigners in your position. Aid workers, even from the Red Cross, have been claimed as victims of many a hostile government. A docteur of the république, however, even a foreign one, has certain protections." It sounded more like a threat than an offer, and although the gendarme was still talking as if Justino had a choice, the Italian realized the truth of it.

Before Justino had a chance to answer, the door swung inward and another gendarme stepped in. "Appel téléphonique, pour l'étranger," he said to Emille, portraying a familiar derisiveness for foreigners in the process.

"You've a phone call, Monsieur," Emille reported as he stood up, leaving his empty coffee cup on the table. "I trust you will give our offer some thought. We'll talk soon." He absently fingered the trigger of his gun as he nodded and left the room, sending Justino a small but vibrant warning.

Let me know if you'd like to work on something together!

Great writing sample! I'll send you a PM.

Thank you - sounds good! Your new story Return of the Draugr sounds like it could be right up my alley if you don't mind me hopping into that one?

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize you were already working with someone on it! You guys do your thing and I will be eagerly reading. We can always brainstorm something else.

Dear Nathan, I'm a mature woman with what I consider to be intermediate writing skills (former journalism/lit major). My work can be viewed on Ao3 under my handle "SavageStar." This would be my first foray into RP online and I'd be interested to see what we can create together. Please PM me to discuss further offline.

Back
Top Bottom