Either Needed Lovecraftian/Gothic Horror Adventure

Currently reading:
Either Needed Lovecraftian/Gothic Horror Adventure

Local time
Today 3:20 AM
The Doctors Are Here

Saldenholm is a city of the dead and dying. A plague brought from some far off shore has left the streets as catacombs open to the sky. The crown has abandoned the city. The walls that once defended from threats without now serve only to cage the ailing populace. At night, those who brave the darkened streets speak of horrid creatures feasting on the corpses and supping from the blood filled gutters. Though such claims are rarely heeded, as the broken minds of those roaming after sundown inspire little confidence in their maddened ramblings.
Perhaps more terrifying than the tales of monsters in the dark though, are the Doctors who have come to "cleanse" the city by whatever means they deem necessary. To them, there is little difference between a pile of rotting bodies to be burned and a man coughing in the street. Merciless and efficient, a meeting with the Doctors will surely spell one's demise.
Yet, even with the many worldly dangers which lurk about Saldenholm in both hours of the day and night, some other, greater presence seems to hang over the city. Could it be that it was brought by the plague, or even the Doctors? Or perhaps such a force is beyond the realm of plagues and men.

Such thoughts are far from the minds of you and your new companions however. Each having arrived in the city mere days before the gates were closed and the doctors arrived, you have decided to band together to escape the city. You have all convened at The Retching Sow, a back alley tavern in the port district. The time has come to plan your escape.

Hi, and thanks for reading! This roleplay is meant as an adventure in a loosely Victorian/Edwardian inspired city with themes of Gothic and Lovecraftian horror. Your characters will be navigating the old port-city of Saldenholm with the ultimate goal of escaping alive and without succumbing to the city's madness.

Character Sheet:

-NAME-

-AGE-

-SEX-

-PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION-

-SKILLS/TALENTS-
(please include either 'Supernatural Awareness' or 'No Supernatural Awareness' in this section. This will determine how your character is affected by certain things in the world)

-PERSONAL POSSESSIONS-

Thanks again for reading! Let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to ask here or in a PM, whichever you prefer!​

Are humans able to use/understand the arcane arts in this story? Or by supernatural awareness do you simply mean they are more sensitive to the goings on beyond the average sight of man?

Are humans able to use/understand the arcane arts in this story? Or by supernatural awareness do you simply mean they are more sensitive to the goings on beyond the average sight of man?
Since this is a roleplay without any set rules like DnD, for the sake of simplicity none of the player characters will be able to use any type of magic. It would just be a bit too easy to abuse arcane abilities. As well, I think it would be much more fun for the characters to be as surprised by and terrified of the supernatural as possible. Horrible interdimensional space monsters are less scary when characters are just like, "Oh yeah, seen tons of those at Ted's summoning parties". So, after all that waffling, it simply means that they are more sensitive to the supernatural.

I'm happy to RP "normal people" who are horrified and frightened at cosmic horror! COSMIC f'n HORROR! :)

Haha that's fair. I was thinking arcane more along the lines of Bloodborne standards, but either way, I'm happy to join the group. Lovecrafian horror is my shit. 💜🐙

But we might need some girls or something. :)

Bloodborne's mechanic of insight is actually just the type of thing I'm going for, now that you mention it!

Character Sheet:

-NAME-
Mal'zyr.

-AGE-

-SEX-
Female

-PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION-
Mal'zyr has medium length, shaggy black hair. Her eyes are clear blue, her cheeks are rosey pink, and her nose is slightly hooked and long. Mal's teeth are a bit crooked and have a yellow tint. She has a mole near the top of her large bosom, near her left collar bone. Mal often wears a brown leather corset, black ruffled trousers, and calf-high black leather boots. She is in moderate physical shape.

-SKILLS/TALENTS-
No supernatural awareness. She is a proficient botanist for the time and can sorta cook. Is a moderate reader. Possesses neither high stamina or resilience unless properly motivated (basically a life or death kind of thing)

-PERSONAL POSSESSIONS-
A pair of gardening gloves and a small pair of ornate shears for plant collecting are kept on her person. Possessions she brought with her to the town (but will stay behind in her bag) include a change of clothes, a brush, and her favorite plant; who she named "Esther" for the star shaped flowers that bloom each summer.

Great, thanks for hopping on board!

I feel like I should clarify something I feel I haven't made nearly clear enough about this roleplay which very well might turn most people off of it, understandably so. This is meant as an RP in which I light-GM your characters through the story. The focus for your writing would be on writing responses to characters and events within the world. As such, there wouldn't be many occasions on which you would be writing long, three or four paragraph plus responses. I know that most people on here are looking for just that type of Rp and as such won't be even remotely bothered if any of you now decide that this isn't really what you're looking for.

I can deal with a light gming and smaller response. Fuck my character UUUUUPPPPPP if you please.

This seems like an interesting story and I'd be willing to hop on board.
A few questions I have regarding the story, for my own clarity.

Our characters would essentially be fending for our own survival, avoiding this 'Plague of death' around us?
I have no issues playing a human with no inclination towards the magical arts, as well as, what restrictions do we have in terms of backgrounds?
Are we permitted weapons and trinkets?

lastly what is our end goal objective? once we make it out, where do we go from there?

Thanks so much for the interest! I'd be more than happy to answer those there questions for ya!

So, yes your characters would be attempting to avoid both the plague and the Doctors. As well as a few other fun things that will be waiting as an, admittedly predictable surprise. Honestly, the plague is more of an atmosphere thing and a vehicle for the arrival of the Doctors though. It would feel more than a little unfair and lame if I just said "Your character catches the plague and dies, leave now". So the actual plague itself is far from the greatest danger to your characters.
In terms of backgrounds, there are no concrete limitations. As this is a sort of fantasy world, I would appreciate no character bios that include being native to IRL places, etc. though. As well, try not to make characters of particularly high standing, that could make things a bit too easy. e.g. if you want to make a character that is from a noble house, is a member of the government, or a religious official, for example, try to write them as having fallen from that position or as having lost most of their power.
Weapons and trinkets are absolutely allowed, within reason. You can't write a character that secretly has a cannon tucked away in their back room. As well, if your trinkets or belongings are going to be arcane or magical in some way, try again to keep it reined in for the sake of everyone's enjoyment.
In terms of where the story goes after the escape, I have a few ideas in mind. I figured I would see how the actual RP went and if interest kept up through the whole thing before getting into that though. Should everyone remain invested past that point though, I would be happy to keep the RP going past the city walls.

I tend to miss things when answering questions so just give me a shout if I managed to completely neglect to answer something!

Character Sheet:

-NAME- Aldius Locke
-AGE- 26
-SEX- Male
-PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION-
6'1, 200 lbs.
short black hair slicked back into a spike with dark brown eyes. Narrow, pointed eyebrows giving a natural scowl. Heavy 5 o clock shadow hiding two horizontal cut scars along the left cheek.
Dark brown, near black leather trousers and tailcoat extending to the knees. Matching scarf coiled around the neck and draped across the chest, covering a black long sleeved shirt. 6 Wide steel bangles worn on both arms up to the elbows, spaced one centimetre apart, hidden under his clothing. Makeshift belt made of chain.

-SKILLS/TALENTS- No Supernatural Awareness
Quick on his feet, good at macgyvering under pressure. Great hand to eye coordination.
Explosive adrenaline when pushed to the limit.

-PERSONAL POSSESSIONS-
(Stolen) Decorative steel Rapier, adorned with jewels in the hilt. Silver in colour with a wide and eye catching hand guard. Small removable object in the base of the grip, can be removed.
Steel icepick sheathed on lower back. Tobacco pipe and bar of flint, small leather tanning knife. Clear glass flute.

thank you kindly.
It's been a bit since I've done a group roleplay and i'm eager to see what we can create.
shall I also add a portion for bio on my sheet? or shall I reveal all in character?

Back
Top Bottom