MxF Mad Scientist x Assistant: There's something going on in the basement

Currently reading:
MxF Mad Scientist x Assistant: There's something going on in the basement

VictorClerval

Human Failure
Local time
Today 5:28 PM
/Please excuse my misspellings, I am dyslexic and find it pretty embarrassing/

I've tried to start the following plot a few times on two or three different role play sites/apps, but something always happened. Either my life got in the way or the person disappeared from the site/app all together. Basically, the role play just never got far enough and would end up unreplied-to just at the exposition. I got tired of the idea since it was abandoned over and over again. Now, I have not role played in months, so the idea is fresh in my mind, once again, and I have a better grip on how I want to play my character.

Essentially, the character dynamic is mad scientist x assistant, and the plot is 100% inspired by Frankenstein. I will try to explain the best I can. I am a Frankenstein fanatic, so this role play itches my needs. I imagine it taking place in Victorian Europe or America with a lot of Gothic themes and classic horror tropes. If enough effort is put in, I hope it could run along the lines of Lovecraftian and Mary Shelley- that sort of horror, but more focused on individual characters, their development, and their relationship.

TLDR: A mad scientist hires you as both a housekeeper and assistant. What you discover he is doing, and what you eventually create together, leads you along a dark journey you may never return from.

My character, Hector, is a reclusive independent student working with a local florist/apothecary for a living after finishing a few years at a University studying human anatomy, engineering, chemistry, and fine arts. He is mid-to-late twenties with a reputation in town for being asocial and aloof. Something in his life had cursed him with an obsession over creation, death and life, and consciousness, or (spiritually) the soul. Hector keeps this obsession to himself, but to outsiders it is very obvious something is weighing down on his mind. Some days he behaves distantly with dark circles under his eyes and his clothing disheveled, smelling like alcohol and unflattering musk (usually he's obsessively cleanly, so when he is like this it stands out to those who know him, like his coworkers). His neighbors speak of him emerging from his flat late into the A.M. to take brisk, anxiety-ridden walks through the streets as though he had just been frightened or upset and needed fresh air. Well into the night, the electric lights in his basement sometimes flicker on, emitting a faint glow that bleeds through the low basement windows that face the alley. Twice, officers have come to his door when his nearest neighbor complained of him screaming profanities non-stop after there was a series of clashes and glass breaking. The authorities inspected his flat to find all his dishes had been tossed to the ground and a chair was broken. No one was hurt, other than Hector who had a small bleeding cut on his hand, so the officers gave him their warnings, but the landlord threatened to make him leave if he were to have a third incident.

After his last burst of anger and being threatened with homelessness, Hector has been laying low and quiet, keeping to himself much more than he ever has. Keeping to yourself for so long, however, can drive someone to crave some sort of companionship. He has lived alone(after university) for nearly five years and not managed a single friendship let alone romantic relationship, but he also seems nearly incapable of managing to create any bonds. On the outside, he plays it off as though he is indifferent to human connection and finds it to be a wast of time when, in reality, he is unbelievably lonely and simply does not know how to communicate. Socially awkward, cold, and distant are the first words usually used to describe him. He feels alone in his scientific pursuits (the university friends he had shared his ideas with shunned him), he has no social life, has never had a romantic life, and spends the majority of his time with himself and his ideas. He is not the type to actively seek out any friendship or romance in a conventional sense, either, because he does not want to admit to himself how much he actually craves a friend. Part of him wants to be alone just to spite everyone else around him, but he is human and he needs connection, which is one of the reasons he wants to hire an assistant even if he refuses to admit that as a reason.

In the last few months, he has found it hard to balance his independent researching and his day to day life, so he is seeking an assistant that he can trust to be totally confidential. Thanks to old money from his long-gone family, he will offer a large salary, food and necessities, and a place to live(his guest bedroom). This is where your character comes in. Your character could have any reason to take up a job. Perhaps your character is, for one, homeless and in need of a place to stay as it is. Any back story you want could weave you into needing a job like this. I believe in mutual role plays, meaning, I will make an effort to focus on your character and will make sure it never becomes one-sided either way. I hope to build a great character dynamic. We could discuss it all beforehand to make sure your character is well interwoven into this plot, as well as discuss ways the story could go and details of the plot that fit your character.

Now for the real plot:

As you live with him, he refuses to allow you in his lab. Rather, he sends you out to fetch him things, keep his flat neat, even make you fill in his shifts at work, and of course give him company. Eventually, he will trust you enough to allow you in his lab. At first, he tells you that the first two weeks are his "testing" weeks to make sure he can trust you. In those first few weeks(where you are paidd half of the real job), something in his lab goes awry. He tries to hide it from you, but whatever he is acting suspicious about- whatever those noises downstairs are- just eats at your curiosity. What you do with that curiosity is up to you, but when it is revealed what Hector is doing down there, you're sucked into this journey with him; he will not let you leave his side when everything is exposed to you. Eventually, what Hector discovers and/or creates with you as his helper becomes life threatening, and you have to defeat it along with other roadblocks on the way.

I did not reveal as many details as I could because I want there to be freedom to go certain directions, and I want it to hold onto some sort of mystery

There are a lot more details I would like to discuss in PM if anyone is interested. Hector is a rather developed character, but I like to reveal backstory, appearance, and behavior in role play. I also have lot of ideas about how this story could go and a lot of ideas to contribute to it, and knowing your character could help.

I may edit this after I post it. It's just very late, so I do not know if i typed this out well.

Just a few requests:
Play a female character
Hopefully you are open to romantic and sexual subplots(Emphasis on subplot. I prefer it to develop over time rather than start outright as the main dynamic)
Be open to dark themes (Ie: torture, gore, twisted & bleak events, horror)

Last edited:
well if you're intersteeeed. I am bored as shit and in a big mood to role play
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:3c

Horror, romance, dubious morals in the pursuit of science, historical themes to play around with, and the OC's fun to boot? Bestill my heart, I'm just in love, but I figured I should clear something up before I jump into this! What are your expectations for response frequency? I see you've been burned before with sudden ghosting, and it'd be understandable if you were more inclined to pick up folk who can post on the daily or something. I can almost certainly get out a few decent replies a week (lowballing here since life comes to kick butts whenever it's inconvenient) and if that isn't going to work for you I'd like to know now instead of causing us some undue trouble!

I do prefer if someone can reply a few times a day, otherwise my interest is lost and I get a little anxious, but that's not doable for most people. However, i'm considering running this plot a couple times with different people to heighten the chances of it working out, so I'm still willing even if it takes you a long time to reply.

Alrighty, well, don't hesitate to let me know if it's not working out then! Going to be a bit busy but I should have the time to PM ya with what I'm thinking as far as your assistant tomorrow evening (unless plans should run horribly late). Talk to ya soon. c:

Back
Top Bottom