Both Needed Nodus Tollens ┃ Demigods AU ┃ Interest Check

Currently reading:
Both Needed Nodus Tollens ┃ Demigods AU ┃ Interest Check

fudgecakez

bittersweet madness
Local time
Today 6:37 PM
N O D U S . T O L L E N S
The realization that the plot of your life doesn't make sense to you anymore; that although you thought you were following the arc of the story, you keep finding yourself immersed in passages you don't understand - that don't even seem to belong in the same genre.

INDEX
+ Prologue "preface" & "bathos"
+ About the plot "story"

+ Rules "rules"
+ Details "lore"

+ Summary & ending note "at the end"
+ Miscellaneous "members" & "important links"

.... --- .-.. -.-- | .-- .- - . .-.

πρόλογος
/ prólogos /

noun
TRANSLATION ( ˈprɛfəs ) preface
an introduction to a book, typically stating its subject, scope, or aims

TIME
503 B.C.

EPOCH
Ancient Greece

LOCATION SPECIFIED
Olympieion

Darkness shrouded every corner of the temple, cloaking their backs with the unknown, masking their eyes with a sheen of sweet curiosity. And yet!

They could not open them; could not give in and take a peek into what awaited them, what took part in their ritual, sat in their dwellings. With them. Beside them. Around them. Silent and observing.

A single flame burned in the centre kept alight by Hestia's Hebe - the cupbearer of the gods of Mount Olympus, tasked with keeping vigil over the flame of zoi (ζωή) [life]]. Its flames were only so bright, their blaze only reached so far.

They, however, the assemblage, could see the blood pumping behind their eyelids, flowing in red lines in that flimsy patch of skin. A silhouette formed in the darkness, by the light that the fire cast upon them. It was the only thing keeping them safe from what lurked afar, right behind them, guarding the exit.

"Katalavaíneis? (καταλαβαίνεις?) [Do you understand?]" A voice boomed and they all - all the people taking refuge in the fierce glare of Hestia's fire - visibly flinched, bringing a feral smile to the bearded divinity's harsh face: all deep-set creases and infamy-laced knots - hardened over a millennia of ruling, trying to keep peace, failing. "Eísai étoimos? (είσαι έτοιμος?) [Are you ready?]" It came again, and they could already feel the warm swelter draw sweat droplets to the surface of their skin, sitting too close to the torch.

Unfortunately for them, the question was rhetorical.

A mocking disgrace to their face. "You are unfit!" it roared, it splintered, it stabbed in their backs with sharp knives and sharpened machaíria (μαχαίρια) [daggers].

"Min to kánete. (μην το κάνετε.) [Don't do it.]" Another voice whispered, equally as loud, just as resounding in the seemingly empty Dwelling, homogeneously as powerful, and yet... Kinder. Softer. More accepting. Her interjection set everyone off, the room fell into dismay and the shadows started murmuring amongst themselves, second-guessing, siding with either deity. It's heavy: their combined speech, droning out the rest of the world outside: the cheering, the hooting, the howling. All of it. "Sas periménoun. (σας περιμένουν.) [They are waiting for you.]" The tender, feminine sound caresses their sides, trails down the taut muscles of their rigid backs with a teasing, cool fingertip. "Pi̱gaíno̱! (πηγαίνω!) (Go!)" It orders, voice still carrying across the room like a light spring breeze. "Iroes mou... (ήρωες μου...) [My heroes...]"

And then it was gone.

Just like that, the doors were thrown open, blinding sunlight flooding in the dark temple, like butterflies - so characteristic of Kore, the majestic Queen of spring and nature. The warriors were all clad in white chitons that were trimmed with red linings, and gold tinsels that glimmered when the scorching afternoon sun shone on them, made their complexions glow a honey brown.

These warriors found themselves standing on the crown of the marble staircase, people crowding around the base, screaming and shouting in joy; their delight was written clear on their lifted faces, evident in their tidy appearances, well justified for today called for celebration!

Today was for festivities and merrymaking!

The persons standing atop, above everyone else, in their weaved sandals, cast a glance at each other; to their left and to their right. Hesitant.

And hesitantly so, they extended their arms towards each other, palms open as an invitation. "Eímaste mazí. (είμαστε μαζί.) [We're together.]" The gesture seemed to say and they accepted it, clutching the hands of each other tightly, firmly, Please don't let go.

We won't.

And they raised their arms high, as the people screamed and shouted, Hosanna!

Hosanna, indeed.

For these were the true heroes of Olympus: the patron saints of our salvation.

-.-. .- -. -. --- - | .... . .-.. .--. | -.-- --- ..- | -. --- .--

γελοία κατάπτωση
/ geloía katáptosi /

noun
TRANSLATION ( ˈbeɪθɒs ) bathos
(especially in a literary work) an effect of anticlimax created by an unintentional lapse in mood from the sublime to the trivial or ridiculous

TIME
131 B.C.

EPOCH
Ancient Rome

LOCATION SPECIFIED
Temple of Artemis

I hope that one day, my brothers and sisters, you can find it in yourself to forgive me. I hope that you'll pray for me, worry for my afterlife as much as your own because I invite the wrath of Zeus upon myself. Willingly.

I don't believe we can continue living this way any longer: under the oppression of the Romans as they continue to ravage our lands and make our traditions their own. They strike down our gods, empty our temples and order our own sculptors to create statues of equal magnificence so that they may replace the empty pedestals in our Dwellings.

We were told to wait. I beseeched the gods for help and they told us to be patient, to wait, the situation will rise in our favour... How much longer do we wait?Fourteen years have passed since the gods last spoke to us and since then, I have not seen a single daimon roam our streets; the centaurs have forced themselves into hiding; the sirens have ceased singing!

It's time we accept our fate, good brothers and sisters: this is our
télos (τέλος) [end] and right now, what we should be thinking of, is not the people who slowly lose faith in our abilities, it's not our gods who've seemingly turned their backs on us once our purpose remains no longer, it' not the Romans who entice us with riches and thisavrós (θησαυρός) [treasure] should we stop spreading out message, give up on our aims. No. It should be ourselves. We need to save ourselves or else no one will, you know this as well as I, adelfoí mou! (αδελφοί μου!) [my brethren!] No one else will come to our aid anymore and it's about time you realize this!

Chrysó mou... (χρυσό μου...) [My golden one...]

I write this now, at such an odd time at night, to seek forgiveness from you. Not only for my blatant treachery to our providers but also for not disclosing this sooner. I should've. I know I should have the last time we gathered but seeing you crowd around the sacred fire in the temple of Vesta... I couldn't bring myself to ruin your smiles; I don't know if I could live with myself knowing that I caused those beautiful, radiant eyes to burn out.

Which is why I need to tell you this now. Before it's too late:

They're coming for us.

I overheard them during my last visit to Palatine Hill: the guards were discussing the
télos of the "chosen ones." They didn't speak on the topic for long but I heard what I needed to and they're coming for us. They've been planning for a while now: to eliminate the threats to the authority of the Aftokrátoras. (Aυτοκράτορας.) [Emperor.]

I know you will despise me for not sharing this critical piece of information sooner and some of you might accuse me, blame me and I understand that completely. I am not here to fight my case or to justify my reasoning, I am here to
warn you and if you decide to heed my warnings...

Then I will meet you in Selçuk and we will reconvene on the Pamucak beach in three days time. Until then, wait. Be patient. Your virtues will surely be rewarded, my doves.

Stay safe.

I hope to see you all soon.

.- | - .... --- ..- ... .- -. -.. | .- .-. -- .. . ...

ιστορία
/ Istoría /

noun
TRANSLATION ( ˈsɛtɪŋ ) story
an account of imaginary or real people and events told for entertainment

TIME
21st Century

EPOCH
Modern Era

LOCATION SPECIFIED
N/A

This roleplay will take place in the modern-day era of technological and economic development.

The demigods have been living in hiding ever since but that does not mean they've been forgotten: proof of their existence and presence,inscribed on stone tablets and carved into the marble walls in the ancient ruins of Greece and Rome, was discovered by archaeologists and deciphered by cryptographers. They were very much real. Once upon a dream. Until they weren't.

There are communities online - on Tumblr, Amino, roleplay forums - who believe in the Greek mythologies and theorize that the demigods went into hiding because of the circumstances at the time. There are people who believe they still exist and will one day reappear, much like how the Bible talks about Michael and the Qur'an speaks of Imam Mahdi.

It's a little unsettling when one of them comes across one of these blog posts about themselves or their kin, see Youtube channels dedicated to decoding their lives, people who write stories about them (the Percy Jackson series was a blast!) It's all a bit of good fun, isn't it? Knowing that they're popular enough among the masses, that time hasn't caused them to wither into the abyss. It brings a smile to their faces; brings them elpída (ελπίδα) [hope] for the future that one day - maybe one day - they'll be able to step back into the light.

Unfortunately, these harmless, ordinary pedestrians aren't the only one who're intrigued by them...

The FBI, the CBI, the Interpol, the NSA - they're all closing in on them. Just like they know of the existence of extraterrestrial life and have evidence caught on tape but refuse to let the information disseminate. Exactly like that, they know about the demigods; how they're still here. Hiding, lurking, prowling between their citizens and they're so convinced that these "demis" will eventually cause an uprising that they choose to eliminate them now, decided to wipe them off the face of planet earth for good and succeed in areas the Romans fell short.

This roleplay will follow the events of our characters after they went into hiding and will pick up from the point where they meet once more - after centuries of not being in proper contact with each other. What will the relationship between them be now? Will they be able to trust each other unconditionally, still? Will they harbour animosity towards their "leader" for separating them in the first place?

And the most important question of all:

Will they be brought to light when they least desire it: when the authorities have successfully labelled them as the villains desecrating their society?

There's only one way to find out, isn't there?

So come! Join them on this journey and we'll see where our heroes lead us.

Okay, listen, I don't want to spoil a whole lot (there's a certain level of "element of surprise" we want to keep to the scenes we've planned for this RP) so just... Just trust us on this, alright?

if this doesn't buy you over to the dark side, we may have cookies in the oven too

-.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. -. .----. - | -.- . . .--. | -- . | --- ..- -

κανόνες
/ kanónes /
noun
TRANSLATION ( ruːl ) rules
set of explicit or understood regulations or principles governing conduct or procedure within a particular area of activity

{ JOINING } Ooh la la~ How to join? Just leave a little reply to this thread and we'll go ahead and add you to the OOC chat! Reminder: you can always leave - we just don't want to clutter this interest check with unnecessary messages.

{ QUESTIONS } If you have any questions you want answered prior to joining, don't hesitate to leave a reply on this thread! Robbie or I will get back to you ASAP! If it's something you'd rather ask us privately then PM us and we'll respond when we can! Furthermore, we request you to go through the entirety of this post because we will not be answering any questions that have already been. And quite frankly, it gives off a bad impression and tells us that you didn't bother reading the whole thing :c

{ P.O.V. } Third-person point of view only! Sorry, babes, it reads over better. Tense, however, is up to you - past, present, whatever.

{ LITERACY } This is a fairly literate roleplay, meaning that good grammar and sentence structure are required. English isn't my native language either so we're quite lenient when it comes to this rule. A couple of spelling errors and the occasional slip-up can be overlooked but if your response needs to be deciphered then we're going to have a problem.

{ LENGTH } There's always a lot happening in group roleplays so responses naturally tend to be a little on the lengthier side. So keeping that in mind, an average of 600 words per reply - which is 3 decent-sized paragraphs is expected from you. The only exception can be for fast-paced scenes between less than three people or... y'know the sex. We're not asking for novella-length responses from you but please understand, there may be some people who send those in and that's fine. Just don't make it a habit to fall below 500 words.

{ ROMANCE } Not only allowed but also encouraged! Past love affairs and future dalliances will have to be discussed between the parties involved in them. Drama and love-triangles are very much appreciated.

{ SMUT } Allowed! Nut there will be a separate thread to play it out so that the sex doesn't start to overpower the actual plot. I'm not putting limits to any kinks or scenes, as long as you and your partner(s) discuss it beforehand.

{ FREQUENCY } Listen, we all have lives, we all have low muses, it's fine. You're not expected to be throwing in responses every day, much less multiple per day, but at least one reply every week is preferred.

{ POST PATTERN } A posting order will be introduced once all the players have one post in because it keeps the roleplay organised. If you can't reply then let us know; we'll continue the story and you can jump in on your next turn c: There will be obvious exceptions to this (for example, if YC is engaged in a casual back-and-forth with one of the other characters.)

{ LONE WOLF } Absolutely not allowed. YC doesn't have to get along with everyone and trust me, not everyone will be too fond of them but you are not allowed to isolate your character from the rest of the group. Have them make compromises! Please try to include everyone.

{ LGBTQI+ } This roleplay is very much LGBTQI+ friendly! All gender identities and sexual orientations are welcome! Since this roleplay is set in a modern setting, we don't have to look at the Greek era to see what their views on homosexuality were but fun fact: it was half-accepted; a lot of issues like paedophilia and toxic masculinity still existed but sex and gender weren't taken into consideration in romantic relationships.

{ MARY SUES / GARY STUES } Introducing supernatural powers and the whole concept of demigods brings about a hierarchy in the system, yup, very true, but please try to keep your character as real as you can: give them flaws, give them drawbacks, weaknesses! If you're unsure whether your character is OP or not, just pass it by us and we'll give you some feedback.

{ OOC } Be active in our OOC chat! If there's a live discussion going on, please do participate! We'd love to hear all of your input and what you think of the story so far c: Memes are also greatly appreciated *wink wonk*

{ RESPECT } I'm sorry but we can't have y'all arguing and fighting OOC because of something that's going on IC. If you do have some tension with another one of the players, please resolve it ASAP. I'd hate for it to interfere with our game. IC drama, on the other hand, is encouraged!

{ BREAKS } If you won't be able to post for a while but don't want to leave, let us know and we'll work something out for you without killing YC off.

{ LEAVING } This is a longterm roleplay but we are not asking something impossible like "DoN'T LeaVe OuT Of tHE bLUe" from you because honestly, it's kind of unfair? Obviously, if you thinking about dropping out, a heads-up would be much appreciated.

{ ALL SITE RULES APPLY }

.. | -.. --- -. .----. - | .-- .- -. - | -.-- --- ..- .-. | -- --- -. . -.--

λαϊκές παραδόσεις
/ laïkés paradóseis /
noun
TRANSLATION (ː ) lore
a body of traditions and knowledge on a subject or held by a particular group typically passed from person to person by word of mouth

{ MEMBERS } For the time being, this roleplay is limited to a seven-person-join only (two of the slots are already taken, which means only five more people will be accepted.) This number may increase depending on the amount of interest people show.

{ PER PERSON } At most, two characters per player (NPCs not included.) This is again, only temporarily. Depending on the situation, more may be allowed but as of now, you can have only two.

{ POWERS PT 1 } The original purpose of the demigods' existence was to watch over humanity, lead them, and keep them on the right path. Therefore, they are only our characters are only as strong as the people around them: their unity, their love for each, and their bond is what powers the demigods. As a whole, the society they live in will affect their potential, but on a smaller scale, if you're in a room where people arguing, it'll impact the demigod(s) within the vicinity. There are obvious exceptions to this: underground fight clubs, wars, etc, but even then, there is a kind of unity amongst the audience/soldiers and that's what the demis will feed off of.

{ VILLIAN } None of the Greek gods were inherently good or bad. Therefore, none of our characters should be classified as good or bad - regardless of which god they're blessed by. Their objective was once, to spread love and peace but much time has passed and those days are over. That's all I'll say on that matter.

{ LEADER } My character would have been the demigods' leader once upon a time, but ever since they disbanded and dispersed, this is no longer true (keep that in mind the next time MC tries to boss your characters around lmao.) One thing to note: the leader is not the person with the strongest god blessing them; they're elected internally and the vote goes with the majority.

{ PLAYABLE CHARACTERS } You can have your character be a demigod, a normal human mistaken to be a demi or an FBI agent posing to be a normal human/demi to get closer to the demis. If you have something else in mind, let us know and we'll see how it can be incorporated. Mythological creatures (sirens, centaurs, etc) are also allowed but keep in mind that this is set in the modern human world so everyone needs to be careful in keeping their true identities a secret. Since this is a demigods RP, first preference should be given to making YC a demigod.

{ AGE } Follow the site rules: no character under 18 but they can be as old as you like.

{ IMMORTALITY PT 1 } The demigods are definitely immortal but that does not, under any circumstance, mean that they're immune to attacks or cannot feel pain (unless that's one of their powers.) If your character's limb was amputated, it cannot regrow; if they lose their eyesight, it cannot be recovered (*cough cough* laser eye surgery) and if they have a chronic illness, they will have to live with it, be it in pain, on medicine or attached to a ventilator (*ahem* healers pls intervene.)

{ IMMORTALITY PT 2 } The demigods' immortality works differently: they can breathe their soul into another mortal's body and continue living for however long they want. So if their current body's dying, they can approach anyone and blow their own life into them - gender and age unspecified, almost like being reincarnated. The only catch here is that the new host needs to be approved by their gods.

{ GOD } Your character is not the offspring of the Greek gods; they were part of that original group of people chosen to be blessed by specific gods' powers and therefore, they always needs to be in touch with the god who blessed them in order for their powers to work at max. They may not be liked by the rest, but they need to earn their god's favour and try to please them because who do you think provides for the character?

{ C.S. } TBD; we would like to wait till we have a minimum of three/four people before we put it up. For the time being there are a few things you should keep in mind, just to get the creative juices flowing:

{ POWERS PT 2 } Each demi will have been blessed by a different greek god or titan and their powers + abilities will depend on who it was. For example, if Zeus blessed you, you'll have control over the lightning and thunder and who gets pregnant. To give this a little bit of a twist, your character can have powers that are based on the god that blessed them too. For example, if you were blessed by Poseidon, god of the seas, you can indirectly link that with the moon since the tides are controlled by the moon. Fun, right? So there's a lot you can do with this! Each character should be blessed by a different god so you can reserve the one(s) you plan on associating your character(s) with when you join.

{ MAJOR / MINOR } To prevent god-modding (some can't be helped since OCs are demigods) your character can only have two major powers and three minor powers. For example, if YC was blessed by Poseidon then a minor power would be the ability to communicate with sea creatures and breathe underwater; a major power would be manipulating water or, as I mentioned earlier, fucking with the moon (not literally, guys, please.)

{ QUOTES / SONGS } This one's optional but if you could included quotes/lyrics or dedicate songs to YC...? It shows us that you put effort into your character and makes us really invested in them too!

{ PERSONA } I'm not at all a fan of writing out long paragraphs just to describe a character's personality because what if it's not the path the character takes later on? What if they turn out to be rougher and tougher than the personality written for them? So the one to do combat this is take those really ambiguous personality-quizzes and type the results in. This is also really effective to combat low muse! A few that I recommend are the Myers Briggs 16personalities test, the moral alignment test, the Hogwarts house test, the four temperaments test and the Freudian personality test! Of course, you can do whichever ones you'd like - these are some of my go-to's.

{ FACE CLAIM } Realistic face claims only! Diversity is greatly appreciated (black, Asian, South-Asian, middle-eastern, etc.) Please know who your face claim is! Don't just pick the first google result. Actors, models, YouTubers - they're all allowed as long as you know who they are and a quick image search can tell us too.

{ COLOURS } Since this is a group roleplay, I require all members to pick a colour for their character that they will be using in their character sheet as well as IC posts (colour-coded speech, basically.) I believe, it makes it easier to read over and looks kind of nice too uwu. Once again, colours are on first-come-first-served basis and you can pick one for yourself when you join.

{ VOICE CLAIM } A lot like face claim but for their voice. An actor, a YouTuber, a video, a porn star - anything works! This is again, optional.

.. | -.. --- -. .----. - | .-- .- -. - | -.-- --- ..- .-. | -- --- -. . -.--

ρίξει τα ζάρια
/ ríxei ta zária /
phrase
TRANSLATION roll the dice bitch

Some people won't know how dice games work and that's perfectly fine! Extensive knowledge is not required. For all we know, it may not be needed at all but let's not take any chances. So here you go: a separate section to discuss how dice can be incorporated.

This roleplay uses a lot of chance in certain areas. Some examples I can think of from the top of my head is whether your character's god will answer their prayers. There are only two possibilities for this scenario: either yes or no. And to make our game as fair as we can, the dice feature can decide for us - unbiased.

The code for it's pretty simple: [dice]d2[/dice] <-- This will generate a two-faced die that either display 1 or 2. Here, rolling a 1 will mean no and 2 will mean yes. This can be used for any simple questions you have. However, this RP is not a quest or D&D game and therefore, you will not be called out for not availing this feature. It's simply an option I wanted to put out there for anyone who would want to use it c:

Otherwise... just try to play fair, alright? Unless your character's been blessed by the goddess Tyche, then I suppose you kinda have more leeway lol.

... . . --..-- | .. .----. ...- . | -.-. --- -- . | - --- | -... ..- .-. -.

στο τέλος
/ sto télos /
phrase
TRANSLATION at the end
when the final part of something, especially a period of time, an activity, or a story, arrives

Congratulations if you made it this far and survived through all my Google-translated greek.

I promise you've about reached the end! Keep going, it's just a little bit more and we know you can do it!!

A short summary of what this roleplay has in store for you (so far!)

- Our characters' lives in the modern world
- Reactions after they all reconvene once more (do they all do or do they have to be dragged out of the apartment they've holed themselves in?)

- Exploring the demis' bruised and battered relationship now. Can they learn to trust each other again?
- Oh shit, the FBI are after them

Robbie and I have planned quite far into this but again, we don't want to throw all our cards on the table just yet!

One thing to mention is that the GMs will have final say regarding any and all matters (that's not a bad thing, c'mon guys, we all just wanna have fun, trust us) but we will be accepting requests for the scenes you wanna include later on :evil face: (there's going to be a "cue" and you'll know exactly when to start rolling your requests in.)

Oh, and flashbacks to past will be sprinkled throughout too! So we'll get to explore that time period of their imperial magnificence and downfall as well.

And... that's all we got, for now, folks! Hopefully, we'll be hearing a lot more from you soon <3

P.S. Did you like the blue dividers? *wink wonk*

-.-- --- ..- .-. | -.- .. -. --. -.. --- -- | -.. --- .-- -.

MEMBERS + TAKEN DEITIES
+ @fudgecakez (GM) - Hypnos & Atlas
+ @Robbie Aldridge (CO-GM) - Ate

+
+

+
+

+

+ Interest Check (right here)
+ OOC (in PMs)
+ Character Dump (wip)
+ IC (wip)