Currently reading:
Character(s) Oh, you wanna know about my Deidara muse?

Dei

pop art is dead!
Local time
Today 4:16 PM
My experience with this character is... extensive. Very extensive. The first character I ever started writing when I was WAAAY too young to be doing so- almost 9 years, now. I've analyzed this character to hell and back, and filled in as many blanks as possible when it comes to backstory and explanations for things over the years. That being said, I do incorporate a lot of headcanon into my portrayal- I personally value adding perspective to a character and bringing something new to the table with them and, well... Naruto did kind of neglect to flesh Deidara out very much, which leaves a lot of room for headcanon inclusion.

With background out of the way, I'll get to it!

Name: Deidara
Source: Naruto Universe
Gender: Nonbinary, AFAB (Assigned Female at Birth)- sometimes feels more masculine, sometimes feels more feminine, sometimes doesn't feel more of either
Pronouns: they/them, but they aren't particularly bothered if someone slips up a few times and uses he/she
Sexuality: Bisexual, everyone is hot
Birth Date: May 5

Personality:

Deidara's demeanor is, at a baseline, rather laidback and even playful at times. Even in the midst of a fight, one would usually see them with their trademark smirk, unbothered by the circumstance, with a look that would suggest they're one step ahead of their opponent- and they usually are. Even in the most dire circumstances, they manage to keep a frustratingly calm disposition, rolling with the punches even if they're the one in harms way.

This, however, is a partial-facade. Their ability to stay calm in such circumstances is genuine to an extent, partially due to how they were raised in Iwagakure, but they are driven by emotion far more than what is typically immediately apparent, and this becomes obvious rather instantly as soon as something puts a crack in this outer shell of theirs, and one may be met with an emotional outburst of some kind. Due to their upbringing, they are very good at keeping their feelings hidden, but due to a plethora of other issues, they aren't so good at controlling their emotions at the same time. It's a confusing and often times distressing mix, for their emotions to be dialed up to the highest level at all times, but instinctively keeping it under wraps until they burst. They are full to the brim with feeling, but expressing such is a difficult topic.

One of the biggest giveaways that Deidara has more going on beyond the unbothered mask they often struggle to maintain, is how outwardly fatalistic their outlook is, and how unarguably suicidal their actions are at times. They're obsessed with their specific idea on what art is- something that doesn't last. Looking deeper into this, it's both respecting living in the moment, but also a rather dismal focus on death and destruction. They seem to have little regard for their own wellbeing, with a fighting style that directly puts themselves in immediate danger, and being completely willing to accept things such as having their limbs ripped off. This, coupled with their fatalistic outlook and drive to embody their vision of art (which they do inevitably do)... reading between the lines, they have some hardcore issues.

Despite being rather arrogant and moderately egotistical, Deidara still evidently holds great respect for others, especially fellow artists, even if the other person disagrees with them and their ideals of art. They also aren't beyond admitting when someone is stronger than them. They are, still, an attention seeker at the end of the day, though. They want to be noticed, recognized and praised- Deidara pushes and pushes to do things bigger and better, all while still insisting that nothing can beat their art. It's never enough, for them. Perhaps they are never enough to themselves. Jesus fucking christ, someone get this kid into therapy.

Though they would never admit it, Deidara does have some attachment and abandonment issues. They want connections with other people, and they want to be understood and cared about. They can become a little too attached at times, and this causes problems when said person leaves- remember how when Sasori died, and then the whole rest of Deidara's story, they were just spiraling into a mental breakdown and completely gave up on maintaining that collected disposition until their emotions slowly took over completely? Yeah. I'm not saying Sasori dying had everything to do with that, but I am saying it definitely was a heavily contributing factor.

Despite being a member of the Akatsuki, Deidara is not a complete psychopath with no regard for the feelings of others. This is displayed in instances such as being slightly moved by Gaara's great lengths to protect his village, how they were evidently affected by Sasori's death, and in how they cared enough about Tobi enough to try and protect him from the destruction of their attacks and even apologizing to him before their (spoiler alert) eventual suicide. They are seen being personable and even friendly at times. If anything, their willingness to kill is a mix of obligation from being treated as little more than a weapon for most of their life, and a warped sense of justified apathy towards people they perceive as more corrupt. Think "if this world didn't care about me, why should I care about it?"

One of their most notable traits that works into every part of their being, is their love of art. They live it and breathe it. It's in everything they do. They appreciate all forms of art, even if they disagree with their own. It's something that motivates them and gives them an outlet for their feelings. Their art form of choice is explosive clay sculptures, and they feel very strongly prideful about their art. They started with just regular clay sculptures, which they still have a gift for without the exploding aspect, but after casting the kinjutsu, they were able to make these clay figures into explosives, thus fully finding an art form that embodied their idea that all beauty is fleeting.

I like to think that, when it really comes down to it, all Deidara wanted was to be happy and live doing what they loved. This goes a little more into backstory territory, but my idea for why exactly Deidara feels the way they do about art and beauty, is that it's more or less a tragic optimism. They good things in their life came, but never lasted. That's pretty sad, right? Well, it was also, on the other hand, comforting to know that the bad things that happened to them would end too. Perhaps a slightly more extreme form of the phrase "this too, shall pass". They believed the good and the bad were both artistic in their own ways.

Backstory:

Now, here's where a lot of headcanon and speculation comes in, granted we are given SO little to work with in canon regarding Deidara's backstory. I'm actually in a period of piecing together this entirely since, in my years of playing this character, I never really have? I have TONS of headcanons about their upbringing, yet I've never really sat and written it all down and put it on a comprehensive timeline. I'm working on doing this right now, but it may take a minute and I wanted to go ahead and get this muse information out to you guys. For now, until I get my shit together, you can ask for specifics, but heed some trigger warning: I include themes of child neglect and CSA, thought I don't go into much detail unless that kind of content isn't too upsetting for whoever I'm writing with. Those are things my muse will struggle with the effects of regardless, though.

Appearance:

Hoes might be mad about some of my appearance headcanons but idc.

Deidara has stormy blue eyes, slightly slanted upward, and usually heavily lined. Their hair thick and golden in color, long enough to reach their tailbone. They typically keep it styled up in a half-ponytail, with a heavy bang on the left side that conceals their scope. Their skin is fair, but tanned. They have a little splash of freckles across their nose. Their features are actually rather soft and lively naturally.

As mentioned previously, they are AFAB (assigned female at birth), and they have characteristics that would indicate such, but due to a mild hormonal imbalance, there's an essence of androgyny to their features, and it's also the source of their deeper voice.

As far as body type goes, Deidara is fuller figured, and leans towards hourglass by measurements. They aren't super big or anything like that, but yknow, chubby. They have more pronounced muscle in their arms, but not much. They are short in stature.

A notable trait that I'm sure you Naruto fans are already familiar with, are the multiple mouths. They weren't born with these- as their canon backstory tidbits state, the mouths are a result of a kinjutsu- or, a forbidden jutsu. It was the one that got them in so much trouble with Iwagakure, granted it was their forbidden jutsu. For those less familiar- they have 3 of these extra mouths, and they're used to infuse their chakra into malleable objects, in their case, clay. They have two mouths on the palms of their hands, and a larger one stitched up on a seal on the left hand side of their chest.

Due to some events early on in Shippuden, their arms have some scarring- one arm has a scar all the way around the bicep from being reattached, and the other has a skin graft that is tan and wrinkly for a section of the arm.

Combat:

I don't have a lot of Big Brain Interpretation stuff here- we see Deidara fighting in canon pretty extensively.

Their main weapon is their clay explosives, which they can spam enemies with and cause great amounts of destruction.

For those unfamiliar, I'll take a moment to finish explaining the kinjutsu they used. So the mouths on their hands can consume a material, clay in their case, and when they knead that material, it infuses it with their chakra. This becomes weaponized, when they then activate their kekkei genkai (or, a jutsu technique they were born with)- their kekkei genkai is something called "Explosion Release", which is... exactly what it sounds like. They create explosions. (If you're familiar with My Hero Academia, Bakugou's quirk is pretty much a copy of Deidara's kekkei genkai.) When they activate the Explosion Release, whatever they infused their chakra into will explode.

Deidara is primarily a long-range and strategy based fighter. Strategy and quick thinking is a strong suit of theirs, and they are shown to be able to come up with the best course of action in a fight within moments of assessing the situation- this knack is how they took down Gaara despite having an arm ripped off in the process. To quote the wiki directly, "One of Deidara's strong points was their intelligence, often using tricks, misdirection, and calculated gambles to get their explosives in range of an opponent."

Their biggest weak point is close range combat. They aren't very gifted in taijutsu, and their physical prowess is... not really as great as their peers. They can hold their own, but ultimately, they would stand little chance in hand to hand combat with someone who specialized in close range fighting. They do, however, evidently have an extremely, arguably almost inhumanly high pain tolerance, as they were able to have both of their arms ripped off and reattached without even being completely incapacitated or overcome with pain.

They are much more powerful then they are given credit for, having defeated single-handedly defeated Gaara and fighting on equal grounds with Sasuke despite their earth based kekkei genkai giving them an elemental disadvantage against Sasuke's lighting style jutsu.

As a combat aid, Deidara wears a scope on their left eye, covered by their hair. This is for long-distance observation, and also as an aid to counter genjutsu. They can see long range in this eye without the scope too, if they close the other eye.

-----

I think that covers the basics? If you have any questions or suggestions on things to add, feel free to speak up. However, I'm not interested in hearing how much you don't like how I play Deidara or what have you- I feel like that should go without saying, but I get an alarming amount of people coming to me JUST to say "I don't like your Deidara muse :///". So yeah!

Back
Top Bottom