All Outreach: A Futuristic Superhero RP (sign up here)

Currently reading:
All Outreach: A Futuristic Superhero RP (sign up here)

Excellent. The more the merrier! I'm considering starting a bit later today/tonight, but it's no problem getting you in a bit late if you need more time.

If this is still open for considerations, I'm loving the team being built so far. I would love to design my own race, here's what I've got. Let me know if you like it and I have my character ready to go. I can also port her over just human as well as need be.

Race: Dokkalfar // World: Svartalfheim

Svartalfheim has just been introduced into the intergalactic world, and is considered a "young world"-- or world that has yet to begin or is in its infancy of electronic/machine revolution. Svartalfheim was discovered by an exploration crew tasked with mapping outer-reaches of the galaxy. The crew discovered a small planet capable of carrying life that, when reviewed closer, indeed seemed to be supporting the evidence that cultures were developing. It was with great delegation that it was decided that Svartalfheim was to be contacted and disembarked upon, as normal code warns away from the sudden introduction of technology to a world that has not discovered it yet. The people there had something else that piqued the interest of the military scientists (Outreach scientists maybe?) that were funding the mapping operation; they seemed to be able to wield a sort of energy that behaved like classic descriptions of magic. Using the force from their planet's own magnetic field, some were able to manipulate elements, others heal wounds, or conjure devastating energy attacks.

Once removed from their planet, however, these people seemed to be unable to continue to use their abilities without the power source of their planet. This is how the first "blood mages" were discovered. The very few who can use it report a "feeling like [their] blood is singing to them" as they leave their planet's atmosphere. Those that get this sensation seem to be able to use their own blood as a substitute source of power, at a price.

The native Dokkalfar owe their given name to their resemblance to fae and their slate-toned skin. They have long ears, no visible pupils in large eyes, and tall, slender frames. The race is incredibly androgynous, and the difference between sexes is underrated or overlooked. Skin tones range from slate to lavender, but are always muted and cool shades; eye are much the same. Hair colors can vary widely, both common are white or black. Dokkalfar who practice blood magic have skin covered in glowing red tattoos or scars in the shape of sigils-- the price of using the power. The majority of the population still on planet live in nocturnal caravans that camp during the day and travel at night. Their cultures are incredibly interwoven into the land that surrounds them. Near galactic ports, you can find shanty towns with magically-powered street lamps, animal-drawn caravans that are now powered by engines, and blocks of bazaar vendors or hagglers. They slowly break apart as you travel further from the ports themself. Cultures here carry a religious connection to their roots but have society's plagued by much more common problems-- wealth disparity and poor living conditions, new infectious diseases brought over by port, and difficulties with ruling powers. Powers which bounce from strongest port-gang to the other as the planet has no formal structure for governance. The ports of Svartalfheim are a smuggler's or fence's golden shores-- cargo isn't vetted on induct or export, ledgers of travel were better off as toilet paper. It was a beautiful free-for-all for some and vicious playground for others.

You know what? I approve. Just read through and enjoyed the lore.only thing is, your character will have to be on Earth for a long while. Eventually plan on utilizing any alien's planet when the biggest threat comes.

Sorry, but for now, I would prefer one character for everyone. But everyone can create a second character to be utilized later on.

You know what? I approve. Just read through and enjoyed the lore.only thing is, your character will have to be on Earth for a long while. Eventually plan on utilizing any alien's planet when the biggest threat comes.
No problem on being on Earth for awhile! And I tried to build in some nice drawbacks to her powers, let me know if you want to see something more restrictive? or have ideas? :) Character in next post.

Name: Erelsinil
Alias: Conjuress

Appearance:
Red-purple hair, glowing lavender-white eyes with no pupils. When not in battle, she wears clothes that mostly cover her blood-price scars and sigils. When visible, the tattoos seem to glow softly with an inner light, this will intensify during spell-casting. Her hair is long and curly, spiraling out from her slender, high-cheeked face in heavy waves. She will normally keep it tied back in a low pony-tail.

Powers, Skills, and Abilities:
Blood Mage
Erelsinil uses the lifeforce found in blood in order to power her spellwork. She can switch between support or attack class, but it is not an instant or easy switch. Her spells originate from a channel piece, which in her case is a hooked needle (which hangs on thread around her neck). She needs the energy from the fuel-source (blood) and the structuring force of the channel item (the needle) in order to create larger, more devastating attacks.
Conjuress Namesake
Erelsinil's go-to/basic attack involves the use of her needle and blood-summoning spells; of which she has two she uses most often. One that conjures the needle into a larger, thin sword. The other multiplies the needle into a large amount of throwing knives, which allow targeting from far away or close combat. She is precise and deadly in a duel, but the summoned weapon acts more or less like a regular weapon without further blood-price being paid. Once fully summoned, the weapon does not hinder Erelsinil's ability to cast defensive spells until she is in the active process of de-summoning the weapon.
Other attacks + healing
Erelsinil has a decent range of support spells with a main focus is on gossamers and slight-of-tongue spells. She cannot manipulate elements, so any long range or wide-range attacks rely on psychic damage.
Blood-Price Power
Her mage's focus is enchanted to draw more blood and inflict more pain, to compensate for being a needle and to power up her spells.

Strengths:
Proper Warm-up
If she has the proper time to incant or cast a spell, the spell can have a larger area of effect or pack more offensive power, this requires more of her blood as well, however.
Weathered
The years of practicing blood magic and being away from home have given Erelsinil a fierce ability to persevere when things get hard. Surviving the slums where she grew up means she has a quick-witted set of street-smarts and an ability to talk her way out of things before resorting to violence. Her practice means she can take a beating as well, and doesn't get dizzy as quickly or as harshly when losing blood, meaning she can maintain a level-head longer.

Weaknesses:
Blood-Loss Limit
All of Erelsinil' spells require blood-fuel. She will only use her own blood as a fuel-source, meaning she can only cast spells as long as she can still bleed. Obviously, overdoing this would cause death.
Support / Attack Dichotomy
Erelsinil cannot easily or quickly switch back and forth between attack (offense) or support (healing/defensive spells). The idea is switching back and forth between the two classes is like switching gears between dark and light magic, it takes a second because they are very different ways of casting and using magic.
Needs a Mage's Focus
Erelsinil needs two things in order to cast a spell. Her blood and her mage's focus. Her mage's focus helps shoulder the cost of the casting price of blood magic, which if left unchecked, can cause irreparable damage to the caster. When casting with blood magic, damage must be caused to the caster's body. Casters will cut their skin in order to draw blood, burn sigils into the skin, or even stitch them into their skin. The mage's focus is whatever instrument is used to inflict this damage. Enchantments placed on the mage's focus can decrease the amount of blood needed to activate the caster's powers, slightly deaden the pain from the casting, or help a caster remember incantations. They can also work in reverse, by causing more pain or drawing more blood in order to make a spell more powerful.
Seeing Red
Erelsinil can lose her temper fiercely when confronted with someone or something see intensely dislikes. This can push her to do more extreme spell-casting or to make mistakes acting too impulsively in the pressure of the moment.

Personality:
Not a woman of many words, Erelsinil has learned to keep her distance and to not trust easily. She is stoic and strong, although this can sometimes come off as cold. She has lost many friends to the disparity and free-for-all of the "new world order" of intergalactic crime and poverty. She has affection for the lower-class citizens she grew up with, not afraid to frequent dive bars in slum towns; but will feel incredibly out of place somewhere "top-side" class. In order to make Erelsinil snap, you would have to insinuate death or harm to those she holds dear. Blows to her self-esteem or idea of self-worth will not work.

Motivation:
She wants the money and the power to help her homeland begin the fight to take control of their own commerce and lands, which are slowly being given to shady, large cargo companies and drug kingpins or traffickers.

Backstory:
Erelsinil lived in Svartalfheim until she was around 13 human-years old, in the port-town of Eker's Landing. The port was named for the captain of the remains of the massive ship that the city built itself up out of. Her entire young life she had known poverty and an intense-longing to understand the culture of her elders, which featured magic and a deep connection to her homeland's ecosystem. This was something that was sorely lacking growing up in a Svartalfheim port town. By nature of the port town, there were shippers that pulled into port and never made it alive long enough here to make it back out of port. Erelsinil's family salvaged and scrapped these old wreckages for a living. To help make ends meet they all had second jobs loading and unloading cargo from ships whose crews were either smart enough to survive or never step foot off deck in the first place. Their family got into debt when her father started gambling, and port-gangs were threatening to take Erelsinil as payment. It was at this point that her mother stowed her away on the next cargo-ship out of the port-town she was born in. She bounced from port-to-port, discovering and mastering her abilities and learning to survive before eventually finding her way to Earth, and she has been there for a while since.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think this is pretty fair and balanced. I won't impose further limits. All in all, this character is very interesting. :) Approved!

I may jump in if I think too much blood loss has happened, though. If that's ok?

Hey everyone, the thread is up. I have to work, so for now there's not much going on. I want you guys to have your own fun and get to know each other for now. There's a lot of things you can do in the city. Everything is pretty much yours. Just don't do anything that would cause problems and we're good.

All OOC chat should go here: https://writerssanctum.com/threads/outreach-ooc.27796/#post-856143

The RP itself starts here: https://writerssanctum.com/threads/outreach-heroes-made-legends-born.27795/#post-856141

I thought I was going to have work off tonight, but I did promise and I didn't want to disappoint. Still room for three more people if they wanna come in late, though they can't join the RP until I approve them.

HAVE FUN! :)

@Lady Venamisa - in the character thread I have made a few adjustments to the backstory to clean up how it was presented.

Also something has occured with the main page and all pictures are not loading.

All good - hope my post was up to standard.

Not sure if this is still open (it isn't labelled closed). And also not sure if the tone of my character idea fits in at all.

But here goes

Name: Nadia Aidan
Alias: Chiasma
Appearance: Athletic build, but not especially buff, just active. Wears harlequin pattern (different fabrics/colors on either side of body), asymmetrical clothing. Pale skin, heterochromia (one eye green, one eye brown). Hair is an undercut on one side with a comb-over part towards the other, swooping down over her ear. She has no tattoos or piercings, and doesn't touch up her apperance beyond keeping clean and well-groomed.
Race: Human
Powers, Skills and Abilities:

Has the unique ability to instantaneously interchange the positions of any two inanimate objects in her field of vision with a thought, requiring no gesture, verbal invocation, or special action to activate. Every time she does this, her eye colors transpose, with her currently-green iris turning brown and vice versa. She can do this an unlimited number of times in quick succession, but each use of this ability incurs a mounting toll on her stamina, first depleting her ability to use the power any further, and extending into her own physical well-being.

There is virtually nothing the is technically unable to transpose, as long as the cost is not too great to compensate for with her life-force. For example. she could not swap the positions of two planets as viewed from a shuttle, as doing so would require far more power than she has the ability to supplement with her life.

The difficulty/toll of using this power is determined based on the following:

How far she is from each object (increases quadratically with distance, but not the distance between the objects themselves)
How heavy/large each object is (logarithmic scale in dimensionality and mass)
How much of the object is occluded from her (cost magnified inversely proportional to occlusion ratio)
How familiar she is with the object itself (cost decreases with increasing familiarity)
Whether she has swapped the same kind of object with anything else before (cost is reduced if so);
Whether she has already swapped the same two objects once already (virtually free if she has)

Strengths:

Her power activation is easy enough and subtle enough that as long as she can see the objects in question, she can use her power even while restricted in movement or speech.

She keeps personal stock of twenty 'blanks', which are small origami cranes she uses to swap instantly with anything she can see, such as a gun in an enemies hands, a crystal powering a doomsday machine, or even the glasses of a nearsighted villain. She can make them easily and understands their composition well enough that the cost of transposing a blank with an object is only dependent on the non-blank target.

Weaknesses:

She has no defensive or offensive abilities or skills that allow her to achieve extraordinary feats in close or ranged combat. In addition, she must be able to track an object visually to swap it. She cannot swap a bullet mid-flight, and animate objects are not valid targets for her ability. She also runs the risk of misjudging her power's toll and causing temporary or possibly permanent damage to herself through overuse or misuse of her power.

Personality:

Somewhat afraid of using her powers by accident. Tries not to stand out because her power's greatest strength is its unpredictable nature, especially against targets who know little or misinformation about her abilities.

Trained in a variety of melee and ranged weapon combats, to allow her to use stolen weapons to their fullest potential.

Ex-slacker (swapping test sheets with the smartest classmate and substituting their names) who wants to do things the right way as her powers grow more potent, and simultaneously more risky.

Motivation: Seeking to relieve herself of persistent nightmares about terrible things happening through subconscious use, overuse, or extrapolated extensions of her power. Like swapping the heart of a human with a sandwich in her hands by accident. Or swapping a planet and a sun and eradicating life in an entire system. Wants to put her powers to use so that she isn't constantly worried about ending the world, even though she is technically unable to do such things.

Backstory: Covered mostly in her other descriptive sections.

Back
Top Bottom