Positivity Goblin
Staff member
Herald
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 9:18 AM
Pronouns
he/him
After Vihni had finished her practice, Pie led the way into the woods. Nyxia was still more reserved than usual and Ashla had a bit on her mind as well, so the walk was quiet at first. That felt comfortable though, the sun began burning off the dew that had collected and the forest was alive with the chirping of birds, these chatter of squirrels, and the like.

Pie walked with purpose at first, but after a while he began stopping to examine trees from time to time.

"Look, see these mushrooms?" He says pointing to a cluster of flat black mushrooms with red ribboned undersides that were growing on the side of a tree. "See that? We are getting close now. These are a warning that this area is protected." He begins walking again. "Be careful to not harm anything natural here. It might even be a good idea to take your boots off."

Vihni nodded carefully, following Pie's lead and removing her boots, "I'll do my best! I don't think I've seen mushrooms like this before," while Nyxia removed hers silently, still brooding on her thoughts.

" If you do, it's a good idea to turn back usually. Dryads use them a lot to mark their groves. Nymphs too. You don't want to wander in there uninvited. Nymphs are really pretty, but they can be moody sometimes. I was with Miss Lisia one time and we visited a Nymph and she had some friends over and things got a little crazy and. - well ahem," He turns a little red. "Anyway, they don't always play nice. "

Pie began walking again as much to keep going as to walk himself out of that explanation.

"That's good to know, I'll try to remember in case I come across them again" Vihni continued to move carefully but struggled a bit as it got thicker. Nyxia was used to this kind of wood and helped her through the rough patches while Pie continued scouting the way.

The path was dense, but not so difficult that there was a risk of entanglement. After a bit of time Pie stoped everyone under a large willow tree, its leaves hanging down like a lush umbrella. He looked up at the canopy swaying in the breeze, then looked around comparing it to other nearby trees and nodded slowly.

"I think we're here. Let me see. " He pulled a piece of bark just until it started to pull away and then let it drop back. In that brief moment a silver shimmer could be seen under the bark.

<sylven>"Thòisich thu le spèis ach chan eil sin gu math snog " A soft voice came from above and the sound of creaking bark accompanied it. Nearly unseen against the trunk of the large willow was a figure, its "skin" a barklike texture, with leaves, vines and branches forming its body. Small blue flowers grew on her head vines, and framed her face, and her stern glare.

Pie blushed and shrugged his arms out palms up. "I don't speak the fey talk. Except Dochas, My friend Miss Nyxia," He points to her with a smile, "taught me that means hope. I know it's rude to look under your bark, but I needed to find your tree. "

Vihni shook her head, not knowing what was said either, and while nyxie was sure to understand she remained silent and watchful. This was Pies trip, and apparently she was letting him deal with it.

"Carson a dh'fheumas sinn èisteachd ris a' ghoblin shalach seo -"The dryad replied

"Now you're being rude, barkling. " a rough voice said from near the trunk, speaking to the other tree spirit in the more common tongue. Another Older Dryad stepped carefully out from behind a thick trunk, her bark dark and mottled, with vinelike hair that stretched nearly to the ground and swayed gently as she moved.

"Can you not smell it on this lot? These be no hapless wanderers ignorant of our peoples." She carefully sat on a large curving root, and motioned for them to do the same. "What brings you into our grove little one, for despite the oddness of it, it seems you are leading this expedition."

Pie laughed. "I'm not the leader, these are just my friends. I invited them along to keep me company, but I have some business with you." The other dryad lithely moved and stood behind the long haired one. Pie hesitated a little bit, but then seemed to find some courage. 'I uhm, I had a dream last night and I met a dryad lady like you, but way older, and she was in a big tree house and knitting..."

The younger dryad looks startled. "Grandmother? Is this the-" before the older one shushed her, then let her gaze wander over the collected group, before coming back to rest intently Pie. *"Go on leanabh caillte ." Pie raised his eyebrow not understanding, but continued.

"Well..she gave me this acorn and said it was really special and that I should come find the grove and give it to you ladies." Pie started patting his pockets until he found the one he wanted. The dryads eyes went wide and they watched closely as he pulled out a small cloth folded around something. "Normally things from over in the marches that I bring over here fade away, but this stayed." He unfolded the cloth carefully, revealing a small acorn. "She said to make sure it didn't get wet so I kept it wrapped up."

The older dryad woman put her hand to her mouth, gasping, and looked up at the one with blue flowers, a tear of joy forming at the corner of her eye. "Ar piuthar bheag luachmhor ..." The younger one squeezed the elders shoulders, then moved closer, stopping to reach out her hand to each of those gathered.

She touched each persons hand lightly, her bark covered fingers feeling softer than expected. When she stood in front of Pie, a thick root from behind him snakes under his feet and began bending up. Pie shifted unsteadily, but keeps his balance. When he is brought to eye level with the dryad, she took both his hands and looked him in the eye.

<sylvan> "Rinn mi droch bhreithneachadh ort am fear beag. Slaod màthar ort." She smiled softly. "My apologies youngling. I judged you in haste. You have brought us a great blessing." She took the acorn and cupped it to her chest, holding it tenderly.

"The lady was real nice to me and helped me when..." He stopeds, remembering the others are still there with a quick glance. "Uhm, she helped me work through a decision I made, and then she asked me to bring this out here. "

"This," She said, "is the soul of one of our sisters that we had thought lost to blight. The Great Grandmother… " Her voice choked up a bit. "We had given up hope, but the Great Grandmother must have saved her. My lost sister… You have delivered a boundless joy to my heart." She cupped his face and he blushes a little, then she stepped back, bringing the acorn to the long haired elder, who also took it and pressed it to her cheek.

"This boon is immeasurable little one. What would you have from us by way of thanks?" Pie stood and fidgeted, suddenly aware that everyone was looking at him again. "Uh I don't want anything, I was just helping since she let me spend some time with her."

The older dryad shook her head. "cothromachadh co-ionann, You know that we cannot take from you in unequal measure."

Pie thought for a moment. "The most important thing to me is my friends, Would you be my friend? That would be worth more than any treasures or rewards." Pie looked back at Ashla, Nyxia, and Vihni. "I just met all of you but you are my precious treasures too! I hope.. I hope when … " He shook his head. "I'm so happy I met you all, and Mister Lorog and the others I'm just getting to know too." The two dryads looked to each other, then the elder nodded.

"What are you called youngling?" She asked. Pie stood a little straighter. "My name is Pie. Pie Spiderfoot." The elder stood and moved close, leaning in. She whispered something in his big ear, then said. "This is how I am called Pie Spiderfoot. I will call you my friend." Pie smiled broadly as she stepped back and the younger one stepped forward. She lifted Pie off his feet and brought him to the base of the tree where she pulled a piece of stiff bark from near the bottom. She put it in his hand and then also leaned in and whispered in his ear. "This treasure is my truename. Keep this with you and call upon me whenever you need. I will always come to you no matter the distance."

Pie blushed and for once couldn't find any words, not even silly ones to deflect the attention. He simply squeezed her hand and nodded. She stepped back and turned to the other three gathered. "Friends of my friend I greet you. You may call me Shiona."

The dryads matched pies wave as they stepped back fading from view into the trees. Pie hopped down from the raised up root, with a little "oof!" as he landed. "Did you hear that? They want to be friends? I didn't even do anything special. "

"Are you ready to go back?" Pie asked as he started walking away from the tree. "My delivery was a success! And I learned the name of the lady that let me visit her. Great Grandmother! She was sweet like a grandma too."

"That's amazing Pie! I'm glad it was successful!" Ashla nodded to the others.

Pie smiles up at Vhini and the others. "Now you have dryad friends too!" He turns and waves at the tree again, even though they are gone now. "Did you see how long her hair was? She must be really old."

Back
Top Bottom