Challenge Submission Repeat After Me

Jahdeen

Nerf Herder
Local time
Today 8:17 PM
Pronouns
He/him
Incident Log 5: Exodus V - Cavern Expedition Investigation

Two days ago, we lost contact with a scout within the caverns of Exodus V in pursuit of investigating pockets that potentially hold crystalline substances, which have been vaguely traced beneath the stone, along with a shifting heat signature adjacent. The scout, identified as D-1, had his suit's signals lost, including communications, vitals, and GPS. In an effort to recover the miner, a pair of additional miners were sent, more experienced in the field, identifications B-4 and B-5.

B-4 and B-5 were sent in at 1100. We lost contact at 1142. The following audio log was monitored and is under analysis for potential clues of their whereabouts. The causes are unclear and under speculation. This log is not to be shared with any personnel who are not of Class III security or higher.

[B-4] God, it stinks to high hell in here.
[B-5] I think it's just the suit. These things get really sweaty, you know.
[B-4] Yeah, yeah. Just keep looking. I'm a few dozen yards away from your position.
[B-5] Right. Keep looking. Shit.
[B-4] Relax. I can tell how scared you are. (+)
[B-5] Well, I'm sorry for being a little on edge, buddy. Brady doesn't just vanish like this without a word.
[B-4] And he's not gonna show back up on his own if we chicken out.

Twenty seconds of quiet ensue, interrupted only by the sounds of boots against cavern rock.

[B-5] Fuck.
[B-4] What? Find something?
[B-5] No. I've just... I dunno. Work feels pointless lately. You're the only one who really talks to me, you know. Everything's getting to me. I feel alone.
[B-4] We're not alone. You're a part of something bigger now. (+)
[B-5] I know. I get that. I just... sorry. I'm not sure where that came from.
[B-4] Job market's been slim back on Earth. We're lucky we even got hired.
[B-5] Sure, but this goddamn position feels like a curse.
[B-4] It's a gift. (+)

More silence, followed by a deep rumbling. Origin unknown at the time. Suit readouts reveal contact with the ankles of B-4.

[B-4] Tom. Tom! Something has my leg.
[B-5] What?
[B-4] I hear breathing.
[B-5] Stay still. (+)
[B-4] Oh God...
[B-5] I'm coming to you. Did you find Brady?
[B-4] This isn't Brady. This isn't human. Tom. Tom! Please! Hurry!
[B-5] This won't take long! (+)

At this time, suit readouts reveal the outer and inner layers are penetrated at multiple points. Vitals show critical damage to the brain and vocal cords. All of B-4's systems went dark quickly after. Two minutes of silence followed before B-5's monitors picked up vital signs from what was previously B-4.

[B-5] Can you hear me?

No response.

[B-5] I can see you.

B-4 moves closer to B-5 with additional organic mass around the facial region and throat. Origin is foreign but otherwise currently unidentified.

[B-5] Dear God. James. What... what the hell is on your face? What is that?
[B-4?] Relax. I can tell how scared you are.
[B-5] I am fuckin' scared. Your face is caved in and you've got goddamn black sludge moving around in there. You're bleeding all over the place!

B-4 now makes contact with B-5, despite being approximately ten feet away. B-5 is seen attempting frantically to escape.

[B-5] The hell are you doing? What's wrong with you?
[B-4?] We're not alone. You're a part of something bigger now.

The outer layer of B-5's suit is breached. Additional biomass is detected approaching B-5. One particular figure, though somewhat obscured, is suspected to be what was previously D-1.

[B-5] Let go. Please.
[B-4?] Stay still. This won't take long.

B-5's inner layer is breached. Vital signs begin to fade rapidly. The heart is ruptured, and airflow seems to cut off.

[B-5] What... is this?

B-5's words are choked and quiet.

[B-4?] It's a gift.

The audio log abruptly ends there. B-5 lost contact with HQ.

The incident appears to confirm some form of sentient life that appears to act parasitically based on what minimal speculative evidence we could gather. B-4 and B-5 are not to be spoken of. I recommend further investigation.

(+) These sentences were spoken by B-5 prior to B-4's partial death; B-4 was observed repeating these sentences near the end of the audio log, but in perfect imitation of B-5's voice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom