Either Needed Rising Tide - A DnD-esque adventure

Currently reading:
Either Needed Rising Tide - A DnD-esque adventure

Ajar

Knight
Local time
Today 7:01 PM
Rain whipped the sea into a frothing frenzy. The wind howled, drowning out even the crash of the waves on the cliff side. Queen Idrosia Merendis watched through a tower window covered in a rippling sheet of raindrops. Behind her were the beginnings of an even larger storm, as her steward recited news that would likely plunge her country into war. Rebellion. The Temples had turned on her. But it was not that news that made her clutch the wall tapestry with white knuckles.

"Astra? How could she...?"

"I'm afraid the information has been corroborated, my Queen. The Temples are officially staying neutral, but behind their facade they're supporting her by-"

"Enough. Leave me. Submit a full written report. I will attend to it soon, but do not disturb me until you are called."

The man bowed and backed out of the room. Idrosia waited until she could no longer hear his footfalls before she allowed the tears to come.

The Game

Welcome to Rising Tide! I would like to run a forum adventure a-la-tabletop style, but adapted for forum play. I'm looking for a group who are interested in a low-fantasy, political setting. I'd like to sort of throw these characters into a tumultuous situation and let them drive their own story against the backdrop of larger national plotlines. If they'd like to wade into the deep end of politics, great! If they'd rather attempt to find a peaceful corner in a conflicted era, awesome! I will drive the plot when necessary and set hooks aplenty, but I want this to be a collaborative RP.

I've got a personally developed rules system which I'm going to use behind the scenes, and a simplified forward-facing setup. Basically, the players will have character sheets with numbers and stuff to help me resolve things, but won't need to ever know what those numbers are and won't be rolling any dice, just RPing. If dice rolling is required (such as during combat) I will do it behind the scenes and use description to play out the results. This whole idea is something of an experiment.

Thanks for reading so far! So, to get in on this I'll need you to fill out a quick character sheet and write a two-paragraph post about something that your character has experienced. It can be anything between childhood and where they are right now. I will PM you if you are accepted.

Character Sheet
Do not leave anything between //. Those are instructions.

Name: //Last names in this culture would be the town you're from unless you're nobility, then it's the name of your holdings//
Description: //Write as much or little as you want//

Professions: // Pick 2 of:

Arcanist, Artisan, Assassin, Cavalier, Champion, Elementalist, Enchanter, Farmer, Healer, Heavy Infantry, Hunter, Investigator, Laborer, Light Infantry, Merchant, Noble, Officer, Performer, Priest, Pugilist, Rascal, Savant, Scholar, Scout, Scribe, Seer, Shaman, Smith, Spy, Tribesman //
Skills: // Pick 3 of and rank from 1 (best) to 3 (still good): Crafting (build stuff), Focus (senses and attention), Insight (intelligence), Learning (book learning), Nature Lore (plants and wilderness), Negotiation (convincing others), Presence (leadership and attractiveness)
Combat Ability: //What would you do in a combat situation? Things you might ask yourself: Do you wear more than light armor? Do you know a little magic? Are you more quick or tough? What weapon do you use? Shield? Bow? Different weapons have different strengths and weaknesses. Remember this is low fantasy, so weapons will follow reality as much as possible. For example, a sword is more effective in an open field than a dagger, but a dagger might be better in a more confined space. //

The Setting
Merendis is a relatively young country, with just under 200 years of history. It was established by an expeditionary force from Venditri after trade across the Small Sea dwindled due to religious strife. It fought constantly with its neighbors until it became independent from Venditri and a political marriage gave it ties to neighboring Saathe. Now it thrives by trading local goods with the countries of Elai across the Small Sea to the north, including Venditri with whom it shares close ties. Saathe lies inland to the southeast, and it is from there that many of Elai's trade products find their home. To the northeast and south are Nass and Thepsu, respectively, who are naval rivals.

Merendis has a rainy season and dry season, and grows rice and corn as staple crops. Most of its territory is river-fed floodplains sustained by runoff from the Dussaa Mountains on the eastern border. It is run by a feudal monarchy, but the Temples of the Divine also hold a great deal of power. In Elai, the Temples hold even greater sway. Here though, they must share the populace with the Davapsu faith, which was strongly established here before the Venditri invasion.

Humans are by far the most populace intelligent race in this region, and the characters will all be Human, but others do exist. Brumps are sea-dwelling mammals who can dive under the water for extended periods of time. The Hrunfolk are a small people with mudlike skin. Tinwigs live in the deep jungle, and resemble overgrown stick bugs. According to the Temples, these races are Sea Demons, Earth Demons, and Wood Demons, and are to be killed on sight along with their more powerful brethren, the Sky Demons. Suffice it to say, only Humans live in Merendis.

Magic exists in a limited sense, but not in a grand sense. You can throw fire at someone or temporarily blind them, but you're not going to knock down castle walls with a spell. It simply isn't that potent.

I may add more here or flesh it out further, but this is what I have for now.

Name: August Belldale.
Description: August wears a fairly standard white robe. He is dressed neither poor nor rich, but modestly. A golden talisman in the shape of an oak tree rests around his neck, and the staff he carries is also carved from an oak. The staff grows leaves around the top as it is still magically alive. He is middle-aged, with shades of white beginning to appear in his otherwise black hair and beard. His face shows light wrinkles and creases from years of kind smiles and silent worry. He stands a little over six feel tall and is fairly slender without being frail. A small leather pack is strapped to his hip and carried under his robe which contains several necessary ingredients for healing. Underneath the robe is an entirely gray outfit comprised of a tunic, pants, and boots.

Professions: Healer, Seer.
Skills: 1. Focus. 2. Presence. 3. Nature Lore.
Combat Ability: August wields nature magics and fights defensively with AoE abilities that focus more on buffing or debuffing and healing. He wields a staff imbued as a divine focus and a long sword, which he can use simultaneously if he has the proper space to do so. However, as both weapons are fairly long, they are not made for close-quarters combat.

--

The pale white bowl was filled nearly to the brim with a cool, dark liquid. The crystalline water of the nearby river mixed with the deep red wine that had finished brewing just yesterday. This particular mixture, blessed with the Divine Prayer, allowed the middle-aged man who peered into the bowl to See. August had been paid very well for this particular Seeing, the farmers had pooled their money to know how their crops would fare this year. After a deep breath, August Belldale of the town Belldale focused.

Surrounded by the ivory hue of the bowl, the liquid began to swirl, but only to the eyes of August. He felt himself sink into a different reality, a vision swept him across time and space in his mind. Green, lush fields spread as far as his mind's eye could see and sweat-glistened farmers worked in the bright sunlight until their baskets were full of produce. Children laughed and played, swinging wooden swords and worrying their mothers when they swung a little too hard. Another deep breath and August smiled, returned to his current place in the universe.

"It will be a good year. Prepare to store excess after the harvest. We do not wish for anything to go to waste."

Name: David Acridy (Noble family)
Description: David wears a long black and gray robe as well as a purple head dressing the shape of a flower and horns on his head. He has somewhat long hair that barely goes past his ears, black in color with gray streaks all over. His face is clean shaven and chiseled given the look of a good looking man even at his age. He has a belt strapped around his waist hoisting several bags of items including: Books, coin, food, and material used for smoking. The belt is kept on by a buckle in the shape of his family Crest. On his feet are sandles made from fine leather with streaks of gold on the fittings. He stands tall (6"2') towering over most around. Smells sweet at times as well.
Professions: Noble Scholar
Skills: Insight (intelligence), Negotiation (convincing others), Presence (leadership and attractiveness)
Combat Ability: He would try and talk his way out of combat, as well as have others fight for him though if he has to, he carrys a decent sized dagger in his robe he can fight with. As a scholar he doesn't fight so all he has on is robes.

~~

A tall palace stands over the city of Besfermoss, a popular port city that serves as one of the largest export hubs in the country, and the second nearest city to the capital. The palace is known as the renowned home of the Acridy noble family, The Palace of Spring. Inside this large and intricate structure stands David Acridy in his study, the head of the Acridy family. He had just recieved a letter from an informant he has in the capital, left there to gather information while he was gone.

"No 'tis can't be..." his voice echoes deep within the large home. "If this is true this could mean disaster!" He has recieved something that could be trouble for the kingdom. He calls for his servants with the ring of a bell. "Pack up my things and call for a horse. I need to get to the capital at once!" The reason why he is so invested is because the Acridy family and most specifically himself have deep political ties in the kingdom as many other noble families do as well. As he gets ready to leave he calls a rider to send a message. "Send word to the other Families, we must have a meeting of great urgency. Also get me service with the Queen and give her this letter. Hopefully she'll understand my plight and heed my word." With that he hands a letter and the rider takes it, setting off to the capital in advance.

As David walks out of the palace he simply sighs. "May the gods protect me in this journey."

Name: Morrigan Whitehall
Description: Morrigan wanders place to place as a performer, masquerading her elemental abilities as simple illusions and parlour tricks. She is tall for a female at 5'7'' and she is lithely built and agile, but still has an easily distinguishable womanly figure. Morrigan has auburn hair that she keeps tied back in a braid at the nape of her neck. With sunkissed skin and freckles, green eyes and a feline smile, Morrigan usually opts to wearing elegant robes- that might resemble a priestess- while performing but a simple tunic and riding pants for when she is on the road. Her temperament is unpredictable, one moment she acts with graceful poise and the next she is cursing like a sailor and at fisty-cuffs with someone. Her strengths are her intellect, insight, determination and charisma. Her weaknesses would include being to trusting and is often very short tempered.

Professions: Elementalist, Performer
Skills: 1. Insight (intelligence)
2. Presence (leadership and attractiveness)
3. Focus (senses and attention)

Combat Ability: Believes attack is the best defence and is usually the first to initiate a confrontation. She only wears a light leather armour that can be hidden beneath her robes. Her main weapon and defence is her ability to harness elemental magic to aid her in combat. However, she has also become adept at knife throwing and wielding a dagger.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Morrigan mounts the dias, cowl pulled up to shadow her face and hands hidden within her low hanging sleeves. The deep blue robes shimmer as the lights in the great hall gleam. She looks the part- an enchantress; mysterious, dangerous yet mesmerising. Her slow, deliberative footsteps echo across the now hushed room, all the guests at this nobleman's party transfixed on her intimidating presence. Delicate hands throw back the cowl to reveal a youthful face painted with blue symbols and markings, headpiece fixed across her brow holding a deep blue stone. Lifting her hands suddenly to the air, the candles blow out with a rush of wind and a few frightened shouts can be heard in the dark. A rustling of wind and the uneasy crowd feel as though something moves among them; a brush of air past unsuspecting legs or the quiver of a skirt. The tension peaks in the room as Morrigan whirls her arms about in the dark, manipulating the forces of the room. Suddenly, light erupts- a pillar of fire stretching to the ceiling of the vast hall, exploding from the dainty hands with terrifying intensity.
"I am one with the Giver, the All Knowing and he has granted me the gifts of the heavens!" her rich voice filled the room, unexpected coming from such a graceful and dainty figure. "Witness the power of the skies, the glories of the stars and the mysteries of the universe!"
As the flames vanished, the candles in their chandeliers once again sputtered to life, sending relief across her now rapt audience. With the flick of her hands, wine levitating out of their goblets and hovering in front of their eyes moves to collect in the centre of the room, now moving in a stream about the room, soaring like a lithe dragon in the sky. Gently, the wine is returned to the goblets and Morrigan once again covers her face in her deep cowl, hands returning to their sleeves. With a graceful bow toward the nobleman at the table of honour- it was his birthday event- she spoke one last time.
"The heavens have blessed you on the eave of your festivities, I pray that they continue throughout your coming year."

With that, she left to the sound of enthusiastic applause and excited curiosity. Walking straight from the large estate, she meandered to the inn where she was staying, removing her heavy cloak as she entered the room.
"Evenin, Morrigan." greeted the inn keeper warmly. She was a regular here now a days, this area being full of party-throwing nobles.
"Evening Markus," she smiled back "a pint if you will."
"Of course."
Sitting down at a table near the fireplace, she sighed and sagged haphazardly on the chair, her knees apart in a most unladylike fashion. She was tired, her magic didn't come without a physical price and she was often tired and grumpy after a job- something this fellow who approached her, didn't seem to know."
"Ello, lovely."
A hand on one of her thighs and her head snapped up to look a man in the face. His smile sent disgusted crawling along her back and she quickly moved her leg away, folding it over the other.
"I'm not a harlot. Find a different establishment." she growled.
"Every gal has a price," he leered, trying to put an arm about her shoulders.
Abruptly, Morrigan stood to her feet, chair falling backward.
"Here we go again..." muttered the innkeeper under his breath.
"I. Am. No. Harlot!" she shouted, outstretching her hand to grab his throat, finger dancing in flames.
The man shouted in pain, pulling out of her grip and stumbling back.
"What the-"
"Get the fuck out of my sight you pathetic piece of-"
"She burnt me!" the man tried to appeal to the innkeeper who just gave an apologetic shrug. This had happened many, many times.
"And I'll roast you alive if I see you within this towns borders again!" she held an upraised hand, only the silhouette visible through the inferno that swallowed it.
With muttered cries the man fled, door banging shut behind him. Morrigan resumed her seat and smiled sweetly up at the innkeeper as he placed her flagon in front of her.
"Thanks."
"Just try not to go scaring off the rest of the nights business." he teased, making his way back to the counter.
"No promises!" she bit back cheekily, chugging a few gulps from the flagon of ale.

Name: Orion Fletchblade
Description: Orion is a moderate sized man, standing at about 5'6 at least. He has a fit body, nothing too crazy, but more than enough to survive the unforgiving world he was born in. You'd often find him with a clean shave and tied back short, black hair. He has scars all over his body that cause inconsistencies in his thick body hair. Often he covers himself in a black gambeson, the gambeson itself is somewhat worn out of age, not combat, but can still maintain itself in combat. He wields a rapier on his right and a dagger on his left.

Orion often works alone, he is quiet, cunning, and aggressive. Aggressive in the sense that, if you were to be fighting defensively, he'd be overextending himself. But his aggression allows him to put enemies off guard and land a stab or three, but this aggression makes him vulnerable to attacks similar to his,.
Despite his barbaric appearance and behavior during battle, Orion keeps things professional. He tries to use his words more than his weapons, but his hairy appearance and body would make it seem he was mocking the latter. He's quiet, reserved, and capable in academics
Professions:
Officer, Light Infantry

Skills:
1. Focus
2.Learning
3. Presence

Combat Ability: Orion is adept at his rapier-dagger combo, however he can wield longswords, short swords, and even greatswords such as the Zweihander. He wears light non-metal armor, the gambeson he wears softens blunt attacks but is especially vulnerable against stabbing attacks, which would explain his choice of using piercing weapons. He has basic knowledge in ranged weapons, he can wield a bow and arrow, but prefers a crossbow. He has no knowledge of magic, but he can study if needed.

-----

Orion was in the local tavern, the lights were colored by both magic and colored lanterns, the music were as vibrant and upbeat as the customers in the area. The drinks were cold and strong, and Orion found himself arguing with an uneducated beginner merchant on the topic of the best route in town to sell the merchant's unappealing garments.
"Why can't you just find a better supplier if you can't find any customers here?" He asked, slamming the table in frustration, his drink falls over but he doesn't budge.
"It's not that simple, alright! I have to ge-"
"What do you mean it's not that easy?" Orion stands up from his seat suddenly, tipping over all the things on the table onto the floor, glass and alcohol splatter onto the red carpet, "I see people trying to sell their homemade fabric everyday! Just talk to them, find a deal, and go sell something!"

Back
Top Bottom