Currently reading:
roseblood: night out for the vampire fairy

willowjadeflower

the storyweaver's apprentice
Local time
Today 4:18 AM
FADE IN:

INT. TAVERN - NIGHT

A jaunty medieval tune dances through the chatter. A gaggle of giggling witches shift before the camera, bottles at their waists clinking, to reveal a skeleton's beer draining through its ribcage at the next table. A MOUNTAIN TROLL's head barely scrapes the ceiling as they thump towards the bar, where ANGELIQUE is polishing glasses, a phone tucked between her ear and her shoulder.

ANGELIQUE, a thirty-something bartender, has a nonchalant air about her, her lips a drying purple and thick glasses balanced on her nose. She's smiling in amusement at the voice on the other end when the MOUNTAIN TROLL approaches with a bundle of coins.

MOUNTAIN TROLL​
Thanks, Angelique. For everything.​

ANGELIQUE
(over the phone)
Hold on, hon.​
(to the TROLL)
Of course, darling, whatever you need. Have a wonderful night.​

A drunk VAMPIRE leans over a nearby table, drawling their words.

VAMPIRE​
Angelique, you're not closing early tomorrow are you?​

ANGELIQUE​
No, just for tonight, now out with you!​
(to the rest of the small tavern)
That goes for the rest of you, too! Off you go!​

A collection of "Bye"'s and "See you"'s and "Thank you"'s meander through the air as the last of the dark creatures trail out the door until there's no one but ANGELIQUE. She remains on the phone, heading out from behind the bar to close the door, hang the "closed" sign, and putter around putting chairs back just so, wiping the tables down with the touch of someone who knows the history of their wood.

EXT. TAVERN

Shadows drap over the outer walls of the tavern.

ANGELIQUE (O.S.)​
Hope the delivery's not too much to ask, I can never find these ingredients from the regular market -​

INT. TAVERN

Angelique's back at the bar, flipping the rag around the hand, when the sound of the door opening makes her lift her head in confusion. Shadows lengthen on the tavern floor. Her expression closes off.

ANGELIQUE​
Hold on. I need to make another call.​

Cut to over her shoulder, her punching in a new number before lifting the phone to her ear, revealing the intruders: a group of elves, humans, and dwarves, proud and elegant and righteous. They stride into the tavern like they already own the place, one human looking around with a wrinkled nose. A tall elf runs a judgemental finger along a tabletop and looks at said finger with distaste.

ANGELIQUE
(in a lowered voice)
Rose Lily. Come quick. It's an adventure party.​

She hangs up just as the MAIN ELF, a tall and willowy being with long, pointed ears and even longer hair, strolls too close to the bar for her liking.
ANGELIQUE
(coldly)
I would offer you all a drink, but, sadly, I'm closed early tonight, gentlebeings. So sorry.​

MAIN ELF​
Oh, but we would love your drinks.​

A DWARF wearing a heavy-looking cross cranes her head, smiling.

DWARF​
All your drinks.​

One of the HUMANS is holding a sword, which they aimlessly twirl in their hand, the edge nearly knicking one of ANGELIQUE's tables.

SWORD HUMAN​
And we don't feeling like paying tonight.​

The other HUMAN smiles almost sympathetically, wand against his cheek.

WAND HUMAN​
Pity you're tending your bar all alone.
MAIN ELF reaches out to stroke a finger down one of the bottles standing upfront - it shattered at his touch. Angelique jumps, and hisses as a few pieces of glass hits her arm.

MAIN ELF​
Wouldn't be too much trouble, would it? It would be a bigger pity to have to leave this nice tavern without its bartender... wouldn't it?​

EXT. TAVERN

Music is playing. Upbeat, harsh.

INT. TAVERN

ANGELIQUE​
I really am sorry.​

EXT. TAVERN

Someone is approaching the door. They throw on a jacket, the image of a bloody rose getting stabbed with a sword emblazoned on the back. A pair of gossamer wings flutter into view.

INT. TAVERN

ANGELIQUE​
But we are definitely, absolutely closed.​

ROSE LILY throws open the doors with both hands, music still blasting from her hip. She has the energy of a twenty-something who's discovered that adulthood is a lie and is ready to throw hands with the nearest trash can. The only hint to her occupation of a magical surgeon was the patch of a hospital cross ironed onto the shoulder of her jacket.

ROSE LILY​
What up, losers. Am I late to the party?​

ANGELIQUE​
Yes.​

MAIN ELF​
What the everloving -​

ROSE LILY​
They threatening you, Angie?​

ANGELIQUE
(mournfully)
Elfboy broke my best bottle.​

ROSE LILY​
Well, shit.​

An ELF marches up to ROSE LILY, elegantly cracking each knuckle with series of loud pops.

ELF​
Would you happen to be here to cause trouble, young fairy?​

ROSE LILY​
Oh, you wanna fight? Bet you couldn't scrape a brick standing right in front of your face.​

The ELF flushes red and swings. ROSE LILY promptly zips out of the way, dodging the blow and popping up from behind the ELF to the beat of her music, jumping high in the air with a chair in her hands.

ANGELIQUE​
Don't go breaking my furniture, hon!​

ROSE LILY​
'Course, who do you think I am?​

The chair glows in a cloud of sparkly gold dust, and ROSE LILY swings it down hard, cracking it on the ELF's head. One ELF down. MAIN ELF, two HUMANS, and a DWARF are heading her way.

ROSE LILY
(swinging the chair and launching it through the air at the rest of the group as she yells over their fury)
How was your day, Angie?​

MAIN ELF has summoned a fireball while the chair smacks the DWARF in the face and sends her flying into the wall. HUMANS are charging, one with a sword and the other with a wand.

ANGELIQUE
(collecting her most precious bottles out of the way)
Oh you know, same old. You?​

WAND HUMAN casts a crackling ball of electricity behind the SWORD HUMAN's slashing attack - ROSE LILY bounds into the air, wings fluttering.

ROSE LILY​
Ugh, you wouldn't believe my day!​

She handsprings off SWORD HUMAN's head, stealing their hat and tucking the electricity ball inside, jumping off a table and using the momentum to swing the electrified hat back at SWORD HUMAN, who shrieks as it hits their sword and jolts down to their hands.

ROSE LILY​
Stupid poisoned stream, had to medicate the flippin' well -​

MAIN ELF is trying to aim his fireball at ROSE LILY as she lands on the bar.

ANGELIQUE​
How in the world did the stream get poisoned?​

ANGELIQUE tosses up a cheaper bottle of champagne and ROSE LILY kicks it right into the path of the fireball, shattering the bottle and dousing the flame.

ROSE LILY​
Some idiot wizard dumping failed experiments into the stream - sucks to be him. Made sure his blood ended up part of the antidote. Hah!​

MAIN ELF has set the top of his staff aflame and was breathing in as if to blow it - ROSE LILY blows a fistful of sparkling fairy dust in his face, and his eyes bug out as he chokes. ROSE LILY then steals his staff and whacks him over the head.

ROSE LILY​
And then, frickin' mass love spell - wasted a shit ton of fairy dust turning the originator into stone -​

ROSE LILY jumps down to parry a spell launched by WAND HUMAN and block an axe attack from a revived DWARF with her stolen staff.

ANGELIQUE
(ducking behind the bar to avoid a stray spell before popping her head back up)
Petrification is mean, 'Lil.​

ROSE LILY​
Well, no one's a flipping love zombie anymore, are they?​

DWARF lets out a yell as she chops the staff in half, so ROSE LILY sends a hefty punch to the face, and ducks so that WAND HUMAN could magically punch DWARF in the face.

ROSE LILY
(grabbing WAND HUMAN's wand arm)
Oh, guess what?​

ANGELIQUE
(dropping a crate on DWARF's head)
What?​

ROSE LILY twists WAND HUMAN's arm around, making him shriek.

ROSE LILY
(out of breath)
Phil - called me over - just the other day - to beat up some goons at - his place - you'd think adventurers would stop stealing shit - if you assholes pay me already it might become my full-time job -​

WAND HUMAN gets his bearings and hooks an arm around ROSE LILY's neck. As she struggles, the DWARF comes up for an attack - gritting her teeth in a wild grin, ROSE LILY uses her foot to drag a chair towards her and shove it against the DWARF, then pushes off the impact to flip up and over WAND HUMAN, breaking his grip.

ROSE LILY
(coughing as she hovers in the air)
Gah, is that all you've got? Come on, I haven't a good fight in FOREVER!​

A hand grabs her boot - the SWORD HUMAN, having abandoned their crackling sword, drags her down and punches her in the face. ROSE LILY gapes at them in awe, blood smeared on her chin from her freshly split lip, before dodging the next blow.

ROSE LILY​
THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! PAIN!​

ROSE LILY and SWORD HUMAN engage in a fistfight with the vigor and bloodlust of dragons over a shared pile of gold. They both land on top of a table, and, to escape, ROSE LILY spits in his face.

SWORD HUMAN
(squawking and wiping at his eyes)
That's cheating!​

ROSE LILY​
No honor in a real fight, buddy!​

Seeing DWARF and WAND HUMAN coming to help, she opens her wings and flies to the ceiling.

DWARF​
Get down here and fight properly, you coward!​

ROSE LILY
(perched on a chandelier)
Rest assured, my conscience will one hundred percent haunt me later.​

Then, the chandelier drops right on top of the three of them.

INT. TAVERN

It's quiet now. ROSE LILY's turned off her music, panting and gripping her side as she floats to the ground. The chandelier's bounced harmlessly on the ground, and she sends it back up. The groaning bodies underneath refuse to get up.

ROSE LILY​
Nice.​

ANGELIQUE​
Rose Lily!​

ROSE LILY looks over at ANGELIQUE, who is currently stepping on top of the MAIN ELF on her way over.

ANGELIQUE​
Thanks.​

ROSE LILY​
No biggie.​

ANGELIQUE
(placing a hand on ROSE LILY's shoulder and giving it a warm squeeze)
No really, it means a lot.​

ROSE LILY​
Oh geez, turn off your appreciation, I think I might hurl.​

ANGELIQUE​
Let me know what I can do for you, hon, anything, anytime.​

ROSE LILY
(looking over at the defeated adventurers, who were now crawling out the door)
You don't have to do anything. I just came to satisfy my raging thirst for blood.​

ANGELIQUE
(laughing)
Still, my offer stands.​

ROSE LILY​
… Well.​
(she grins at ANGELIQUE, revealing two vampiric fangs)
You can call me if these bastards ever come bother you again.​

ANGELIQUE
(with a wink)
I'll spread the word.​

ROSE LILY​
Sweet. I'm gonna go drain the blood out of those loons now.​

ROSE LILY wipes the blood off her jacket, licks her fingers, and waves. She turns her music back on and strolls over to the entrance, throwing both doors open into the night.

FADE OUT

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom